September

Eleventh

Opening my email, I skimmed through the junk portion of it. My eyes caught something, a name. Kacie, my daughter. Her father was teaching her how to type.

I smiled and opened the link, reading the words to myself.

She was quite the child, a very wide vocabulary for a six year old. She brightened my day, telling me stories about how school was. And her new crushes. She loves life and lives it to the fullest.

Today was pretty slack at the World Trade Center, or the Twin Towers as we go by it. My small group, in the corner office, was celebrating our Boss' birthday. We relaxed and I only had a few assignments to go through. James, my co-worker for two years, walked by and squeezed my shoulder.

He was one of my closest friends, the one person I could truly trust when I first moved to New York. He sat down, ruffling my long brown hair and smiling softly.

"How's the little one?"

"Kacie, she's doing alright. She sent me an email, asking if she could go to work with me one of these days." I sighed, laughing a little at the thought of my child's face when she reached the 53rd floor.

"Well, if you ask Boss, I'm sure you can bring her in," James said, patting my hand as he got back up.

Just as I was about to stand, I hit the floor, the building shook with great power. The window on the other side of the office cracked, and we could see our brother building being smashed to the ground. I slipped off my heels and headed for the stairs.

Suddenly, there was an authoritative yell, and I couldn't help but stop. It was Lauren, my Boss.

"Everyone stay where you are! Stay calm and get back to work!" We all looked dumbfounded, but I was determined.

I walked away and headed back for the stairwell, my senses flaring as I realized the danger I was possibly in. The building next to us was on fire and crashing but we were still working. Lauren had lost her mind.

I ran down the stairs, wincing as my bare feet hit the cold ground. I could hear screams from outside the building and I heard other's around me getting out of their offices and fleeing. Suddenly, there was a loud crash and I was lost. I stopped running and looked up, to see the building crumbling above me.

That's when it happened. Two strong arms pushed me out of a window, three floors up. I hit the ground and immediately knew something was wrong. I felt someone pick me up and run me away from the building. I looked over the man's shoulder, fire engulfed all I had ever known in the past two years. The flames grew at a rapid rate.

Whoever was carrying me passed me off to a paramedic, my eyes glued to the disaster.

Screaming.

Sobbing.

Bleeding.

Praying.

September will never be the same again.