Suicide Notes Of a New York Love Affair

The Saved?

Mikey's POV

I scrambled out of my office, trying hard not to panic or be influenced by the screaming people around me. The smoke from the fire intoxicated my lungs and stopped my breathing for seconds at a time. I pulled up my shirt and put it over my mouth and nose and tried to think of something. Anything.
The stairs, Mikey, the stairs!
Of course! How could I be so stupid? I crawled to the stairs, to find it was clear except for some people who, like me, had remembered the stairs. Strangely, the stairs were clean and fresh yet it echoed the the screams on every floor, making it secretly sinister.
Luckily, the plane had crashed two floors above me, making my floor virtuely clear for the first few minutes until the fire had crashed through the roof and landed on my floor.
I sprinted down the stairs, missing two steps at a time in my hast to get to the ground floor. I collided with a man on the first floor and screamed so hard I thought my lungs would burst.
"It's okay!" the man said. "I'm here to save you!"
I could see he was a fireman, and that he was trying to help, but my heart started to beat faster and faster as images flashed into my head...
Darkness.
"Hey buddy?"
"You alright?"
It was the fireman, and he was holding me. Reasonably cleaner air circulated around me but I could only muster one thing.
"Gerard..."