Sequel: Come Back To Me

Almost Easy

The Question

Hollis paced uncomfortably in her living room as she looked down at the phone that sat in her hand. She had called Zacky a half hour ago and he still hadn't arrived. She was growing more and more anxious by the minute and regretted inviting him over in the first place.

It had been three days since his sister had appeared at her office and told her to stay away from him, and although she had fully planned on listening to Zina Baker's request, she needed to see if that was what Zacky wanted, and after three days of fighting herself she called and invited him over.

"Jesus Zacky, can you just get here?" She asked to no one in particular, the anxiety slowly getting to her. It was a few minutes before the doorbell rang and she all but ran to answer the door. She slowed herself down before answering the door, revealing a somewhat confused looking Zacky.

"Come on in" She said warmly, moving aside so he could enter her apartment and closed the door before leading him into the living room, sitting down on the couch and patting the cushion next to her. He sat down beside her and they sat in a tense silence before Hollis composed herself enough to talk.

"There was a reason I asked you to come over" She said, immediately feeling stupid for saying that.

"I...I figured."

"I need to talk to you about something."

"All right"

Damn it! Just spit it out already! "You sister came and saw me three days ago."

"Huh?" He asked, obviously very confused.

She nodded, "Yeah. She asked me to stop treating you specially. She wanted me to treat as nothing more than a regular patient. She says that I'm hurting you by getting close with you. And I guess what I wanted to know...was if you feel the same way."

"What do you mean?"

"Do you wish I was more...doctor-ly? Do you want me to just keep our relationship business, like no more hugging, no more out of office communication, no more of me going to your house."

"You can't just not go to my house...you're with Brian, that's not fair."

"You didn't answer my question Zacky."

He thought for a moment before opening his mouth...and no sound came out. "I don't know Hollis. Does it hurt to see you with Brian knowing that I still have feelings for you? Yes. Does it hurt to cry and have you hold me knowing that nothing will evolve from it? Yes. But have I been getting better because of the way you treat our relationship? Of course. I'm feeling all right for the first time in years, since I've been out of the service. Hollis, making our relationship strictly business will accomplish nothing for either of us. I know that's not the kind of doctor you are and I know that is why I'm improving. My sister was just looking out for me, but she doesn't know all of the facts."

"So...you're okay keeping things the way they are?"

He nodded, "It's what's best for everyone."

She smiled and leaned forward and pulled him into a hug, "I'm glad you think so too. I think that once you are finished with your sessions with me, we'll still be great friends." She said to him.

The word stung him more than he had expected, friends.... "Of course."

They pulled apart and there was a brief moment of silence as they looked at each other, eyes locked. It was in that moment that Zacky leaned forward and softly pressed his lips to her, just for a split second. He bolted up from the couch and ran to the door. Hollis was up just as quickly and beat him to the door.

"Zacky...what was that?" She asked and he couldn't look her in the eye, keeping his eyes focused on his feet.

"Look at me Zacky. Just tell me what that was."

He lifted his eyes to hers, "I just wanted to know what it would feel like. Because I know I will never get another chance to. I just wanted to know...I'm sorry."

She placed a hand on his shoulder, "Zacky, I know that you will make some girl very happy someday. You're a great guy and an amazing friend. There's someone out there for you, you just have to find her."

He nodded and left her apartment in a somewhat awkward silence and as she closed the door behind him, he looked back at her door, "But I already have found her" He mumbled to himself as he walked to his car.

On the other side of the door, Hollis sank to the floor, leaning back against the door. She touched her lips, that still tingled from their brief kiss. Her stomach was fluttering just thinking about it and she began to cry. She cried because for the first time, she admitted to herself that she was in love with them both...
♠ ♠ ♠
oooh! a revelation!
hope you enjoyed, I liked this one.
I love you guys cause I have five stars and that makes me smile so big!
Comments are love and they truly make my day!
Comment and subscribe loves!

xxoo