Sequel: Come Back To Me

Almost Easy

The Guilt

As Zacky drove home he couldn't believe what had just happened. He had kissed her. He had kissed his best friend's girlfriend. He was the worst friend ever.

It's bad enough that I like Brian's girlfriend...but I out-stupided myself this time. He thought as he nervously drove back home, praying that Hollis didn't say anything or that Brian wasn't home.

He pulled into the driveway and parked behind Brian's large escalade, cursing that he was home. He climbed out of the car and walked slowly towards the door, unsure if Hollis had called Brian and told him anything. He turned the knob and pushed open the door.

He looked around and saw Brian sitting on the couch in the living room, talking on the phone and watching TV. Zacky walked into the kitchen and grabbed two beers from the fridge before joining Brian in the living room. He took the caps off of both of them and handed one to Brian before sitting beside him.

"Thanks man" He mouthed and went back to concentrating on the phone conversation. "All right, I'll see you tonight babe." He said with a smile before hanging up and taking a long drink from his beer before putting it on the table.

"So where have you been? I can't remember the last time you went somewhere alone."

She didn't tell him. Zacky shrugged, "Dr. Thompson called me and wanted to talk to me about something" He said, knowing that he wasn't going to be able to make up a convincing lie soon enough.

"Oh. What did she want to talk about?"

"Just that she thinks I might be almost done with therapy. I'm coming to grips with why I am the way I am and I'm feeling more confident in my ability to reach the goal I set for myself...or so she says."

"Oh. That's great buddy. I'm really proud of you, you know that right?"

"No need to get all sappy Brian. I'm not really doing anything to be proud of."

"Are you serious? Zacky, you've opened up to someone - that's enough for me to be proud of you. But on top of that you have started talking about your time in the service and coming to grips with what makes you afraid to be alone and you've bounced back from almost dying. Zacky, there's SO much to be proud of you for."

"Thanks."

"And I met my girlfriend because of you, so I owe you one" He said with a laugh, taking a sip of his beer.

Your girlfriend that I'm in love with and kissed less than an hour ago.

"Hey it's no problem, you deserve it."

"Thanks man, I really appreciate you being okay with us being together."

"Do you love her?"

Brian thought for a second before nodding, "I think so."

Zacky's heart dropped into his stomach, Brian hadn't loved anyone in years or even been in a relationship long enough to fall for someone and when he finally did...Zacky loved the same girl. He just felt ten times worse.

"Congratulations. You deserve it. I'm gonna go upstairs." He said, standing to leave after downing the rest of the bottle.

"What are you going to do?" Brian asked in a suggestive voice.

"You're a three year old you know that right? I'm going to play I think."

"Really? You haven't played in years, why all of a sudden?"

He shrugged, "I don't know...but I don't want to question it."

Brian stood up and walked over to Zacky, pulling him into a tight hug. "I'm so happy for you Zacky." He said as he still held onto his friend. After a moment Brian let go of Zacky and went back to the couch while Zacky walked upstairs. It was only a matter of time until Brian heard the soft sound of Zacky's guitar, strumming out a few simple chords.

He picked up his phone and dialed Hollis' number. It only rang twice before she answered.

"Hi. We just talked...did you miss me already?" She asked with a giggle.

"Of course. But you need to come over. Something amazing is happening. But hurry in case it stops." He said and then hung up, hoping that she wouldn't call back but just come over. He turned the TV on mute and listened to the guitar. He knew that Zacky was in essence re-learning how to play but Brian knew that it would only take a few minutes until he was able to play just as good as he did before the service.

That was the first thing that Brian and Zacky had bonded over when they were overseas - the guitar and music. Zacky used to write music as well, Brian remembered reading some songs Zacky had written and when they both got out of the service Zacky tried to write again but couldn't. More than wanting Zacky to be able to sleep in a room by himself, Brian wanted Zacky to be able to write music again.

There was a soft knock on the door and Brian rushed to open it and ushered Hollis in.

"Is there something wrong?" She asked as she stood in the foyer.

"No, just...listen" He said and Hollis heard the guitar sound wafting through the house.

"Is that..."

"Zacky. Yeah. He hasn't played in years. Something must have really inspired him. Aren't you happy?"

"Of course" She said and felt ridden with guilt. Something inspired him...

"Let's listen, okay?" He said as excited as a kid on Christmas as he pulled her over to the couch.

"I have to use the bathroom first, okay?" She said and he let go of her hand and she walked past the stairs to the bathroom she could hear Zacky's voice singing.

"Come back to me, it's almost easy..."
♠ ♠ ♠
I love the comments
And I love getting subscribers!

Comments are love!
Show some love!