Status: Hiatus until further notice. Sorry guys.

The Immortal

Chapter Sixteen

“Well it’s about time you showed up.” Frank drawled sounding slightly irritated as I wheeled myself back into the room we shared.

My mind was still back in the supply closet with Rachel in that moment in time and I barely noticed him talking.

“Hello? Earth to Gee, come in Gee.” Frank said, waving his arms widely as to somehow draw my attention back to him.

“Huh? What?” I asked distantly, looking over at him on his bed as I heaved myself up into my bed. I tried my best not to let him see my legs moving, but it’s quite irritating having to pretend my legs are useless. I want to just stand up and get into the bed, but I stop myself. There’s no way I’m going to have another explanation talk. Well, at least not today that is.

“Done sucking face with the Doc already?” Frank asked nonchalantly. That question sure as hell brought my attention back to him.

“What? How-? How did you-?” I started furiously before his eyes widened and he raised his arms in defense.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa! Gerard I was only kidding dude.” He said quickly. But within a minute his confused expression turned into that infamous grin of his. “Hang on, were you and the doc really…?” He trailed off, raising his eyebrows suggestively.

At that moment I was mentally kicking myself for my prior outburst and I didn’t answer him. I couldn’t obviously lie my way out of this one so I did the only thing I could think of; I nodded slowly.

“I knew it!” He shouted triumphantly. “I knew there was something between you two. From the very beginning I knew!” I let him go on until he finally stopped and looked at me again with that same puzzled expression. “Wait…what’s going on between you two exactly?”

I let out a long sigh and leaned back in my pillows on the bed. “I’m not really sure.” I answered honestly.

“Where were you just now?” He prodded.

“I’m not tellin’ you that!” I said exasperatedly.

“Oh come on Gee,” He said, rolling his eyes. “What, did you corner her in some closet or something?” He was laughing at his question, obviously not realizing how accurate he actually was. He caught my uneasy look and his eyes widened in shock again. “You DID?!”

Again, all I could do was nod and try to avoid looking him directly in the eye.

“Whoa dude!” He exclaimed. “This is going to sound super girly but damn, I want some details!”

“Frank!” I sighed exasperatedly.

“What?” He asked innocently. “Dude I’ve been on this hospital bed for four and a half months. This is the coolest thing since they accidentally let that schizo on the fifth floor have an espresso!”

I laughed loudly at his enthusiasm and rubbed my forehead with the palm of my hand. “I can’t tell you anything Frank.” I said after a minute.

“What? Why not?” He pouted childishly.

“If anyone else finds out it could be Rachel’s job.” I replied. “You know, that doctor, patient thing? She could get in big trouble if her higher-ups found out about…well…you know.”

“You didn’t bang her in the closet, did you?” He asked, looking at me seriously. For Frank this was a rarity and I knew he wasn’t kidding.

“FRANK!” I shouted.

“What? Come on just answer yes or no.” He reasoned.

“No I did not!” I exclaimed indignantly.

“Okay,” He laughed, raising his hands again in defense. “That’s all I needed to know.”

I sighed, rolling my eyes as I reached for the television remote on the end table between our beds. I had only started clicking through a few channels with the remote when I heard a squeaking noise coming from Frank’s bed. Turning my head slowly, I saw him bouncing slightly up and down in his seat. I was instantly reminded of a construction worker on a jackhammer and I chuckled slightly at my analogy before speaking.

“What are you doing Frank?” I sighed.

He didn’t answer me, but his classic manic grin spread it’s way across his face as he continued to bounce. Apparently he really like bouncing on that bed because he didn’t stop for five minutes straight. But when he did stop it wasn’t because he was tired, he could probably go on bouncing forever with his energy, but me speaking again stopped him.

“Is there something you need to tell me Frank?” I asked, eyeing him suspiciously. I still had yet to decide if he was naturally this hyper, or if he was on something.

“Guess.” He replied brightly as he resumed bouncing in his seat.

“Guess?” I asked perplexed. “Guess what?”

“Chicken butt!” He exclaimed before laughing loudly. I stared at him in confusion, which only caused him to laugh harder. He finally stopped again along with his bouncing after a minute, wiping his eyes of the tears of laughter. “Come on guess!”

“Um…you’re high?” I asked.

“I’m leaving!” He exclaimed exuberantly. “Doctor Anderson came in and told me that I’ll be able to go back home tomorrow!”

“Really?” I questioned in surprise as I looked down at his legs. “Are all your bones healed up?”

“Most of them.” He shrugged. “Doc Anderson said as long as I don’t over exert myself or have any more couches dropped on me, I’ll be alright to go home!”

“Wow Frank, that’s really great.” I said genuinely happy for him. “Congratulations.”

“Thanks.” He sighed as he leaned back in his bed on the pillows. “Yeah I’ll finally be out of this stinkin’ bed. Oh, and I’ll be able to take Jamia out on a real date, not just to the cafeteria.”

“So you’re still with Jamia huh?” I asked, raising my eyebrows at him.

“And I owe it all to you man.” He said, turning his head to give me a grateful smile. “If you didn’t go out and save Erin, get hit by a truck, and end up being my roommate, I never would have met her. It’s funny how things work out the way they do, isn’t it?”

“Sure is.” I sighed as I turned my attention back to the television set that was now running some program about a yellow sponge that could talk.

“Oh wait!” Frank exclaimed, bringing my attention back to him. “I almost forgot! I’ve still gotta get your phone number.”

“My phone number?” I repeated, turning down the volume on the television. “Why would you need that when I’m right here?”

“For later.” He laughed. “You know when you’re not in the hospital. Me and you should go drinking some time. Or you should come see me and my band play! Yeah, dude you gotta see us live!”

I had never given anyone my phone number before, but then again, I never had a number to give in the first place. I never bothered to get a cell phone because let’s face it, who would call me?

“Well…” I started slowly. “I would give it to you, but I don’t have one.”

“What?” He laughed. “No, not a home phone number. A lot of people don’t have those anymore; they’ve switched over to cell phones. You do have a cell phone, don’t you?”

I shook my head slowly no and he gasped. “What?! You don’t? Dude do you live under a rock? How do people get in touch with you?”

“What people?” I asked.

This question confused him even more than me not having a cell phone and his head tilted to the side in question. “Huh? What do you mean what people? I mean people. Friends, family, you know, people.”

“I don’t have any.” I shrugged and his jaw dropped.

He was staring at me like I had grown a second head or something. Was that news usually that shocking to most people? Rachel seemed to take it all right.

“Ha, ha very funny.” He laughed, seemingly convincing himself that I was joking. “Come on really, you’ve gotta have at least one person that would call you.”

I didn’t even need a moment to think of my answer to that statement. “Nope.” I said. “Besides my landlord, you’re the only one I talk to.”

“…but what about your family?” He asked, still looking at me with a confused expression on his face.

“Haven’t any.” I said simply. “No parents, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, or cousins. It’s just me.”

“Oh…” He said slowly. “Wow, dude I’m sorry. Were you orphaned?”

“You could say that.” I shrugged. “But it’s okay. I’ve been on my own for a long time now.”

“Okay, now I’m definitely coming back to visit you.” He replied. “Dude that’s really sad, you know? But now you’ve got the Doc right?”

“Shh!” I hissed, looking towards the open doorway of the room. “Careful where you’re saying that! You don’t know who could hear it.”

“You’re really paranoid about that.” He laughed. “You must really like her.”

“More than I should.” I admitted truthfully. I shouldn’t even like her at all. I can’t stick around for too long, and I know that the longer I wait, the harder it’s going to be walk away. That’s a thought I’d rather not want to think about until that time comes. Rachel isn’t like me. She won’t last forever.

“My lips are sealed.” Frank smiled, making a zipping gesture across his lips with his hand. “And I’m happy for you dude. I’ve known the Doc for a long time now. It’s great that now she’s got a guy as good as you.”

“Thanks.” I said, still uneasy with the thoughts that were running through my head.

“Just don’t hurt her.” He finished seriously.

“I-” I started before pausing a moment. “I’ll try.”

“Do, or do not.” He replied, changing his voice to an older, croakier sounding one. “There is no try.”

“Yes Master Yoda.” I laughed before turning my attention back to the television screen.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ugh I know it's been forever since I've updated but I finally wrote something!
Comments? XD I know there's only like eight of you reading this, but it would really mean a lot :)