Status: Hiatus until further notice. Sorry guys.

The Immortal

Chapter Three

I sighed and stared up at the ceiling for lack of anything else to do. For those who have ever stayed in a hospital, you know how boring it is. And counting ceiling tiles gets old really fast. I sighed and started looking around the room. To my right was a large white cabinet, probably stocked with extra bed linens or pillows. Beside the cabinet was a small, rather uncomfortable looking chair and the door was next to that.

To my left was a large window that overlooked the city. Its curtains were pushed open and were the exact same shade of dull grey that the room was painted in. Directly across from me was the small wooden end table that my sketchbook was sitting on beside of my clothes. Wait…my clothes?

I groaned and looked down at myself. My comfortable t-shirt and jeans had been replaced with bandages and a dress. Fantastic.

“God I need a cigarette.” I thought. “…I wonder.”

I pushed the blankets off of me and winced a little as I moved my legs over the side of the bed. My bare feet hit the cold floor and I straightened up before walking across the room to my clothes. I distinctly remembered putting a pack of cigarettes and a lighter in my pocket before leaving my apartment that morning and I was hoping that they were still there.

“Damn.” I muttered as I looked through my empty pockets.

“Looking for something?” Someone asked from behind me.

I turned around to see the same brunette from earlier leaning casually against the doorframe of my room.

“Yeah my cigarettes.” I said. “You seen em’?”

“You can’t smoke in here.” She said, throwing me a disapproving look. “And what are you doing out of bed?”

“I’m lookin’ for my cigarettes.” I said rolling my eyes. “I thought that was a bit obvious.”

“Nice try.” She said folding her arms across her chest. “Now get back in that bed.”

“Yes ma’am.” I said.

I was starting to get used to the pain in my ribs and it didn’t hurt as much to sit down as it did to stand up.

“Open.” She said, holding up a thermometer as soon as I had gotten settled back in the bed.

“Why?” I asked, looking at the instrument quizzically.

“So I can take your temperature smart one.” She said, rolling her eyes. “I thought that was a bit obvious.”

“Why do you need to take my temperature?” I asked. “I’m not sick.”

“I told you,” She sighed. “I have to come and check your vitals every hour to make sure you don’t die or something.”

“I don’t think you have to worry about that.” I said.

It may have sounded somewhat cocky to her but for me I was just stating the truth.

“Open.” She said again.

I sighed and opened my mouth so she could stick the thermometer under my tongue.

“What’s your name?” I asked after a few seconds.

“Don’t talk.” She ordered, ignoring my question. “You’ll mess up the results.”

I rolled my eyes and waited for the thermometer to beep, signaling I could talk again. She pulled it out again once it did and looked at it.

“Ninety-eight point six.” She read off.

“So what’s your name?” I asked again as she put the thermometer away and pulled her stethoscope away from around her neck.

“Dr. O’Connell” She answered as she placed the cool metal circle end on my chest. “Breathe in please.”

I did so and winced as a sharp pain shot across my chest.

“No, ow.” I said as I clutched my side with my unbroken hand. “I meant your first name.”

“Why do you want to know my first name?” She asked as she replaced the stethoscope around her neck.

“Well you already know mine.” I shrugged. “It’s only fair that I know yours as well.”

She looked at me suspiciously for a moment as if deciding weather or not it was safe to tell me her first name.

“Rachel.” She finally said after a minute.

“Well it’s a pleasure to meet you Rachel.” I said, extending a hand to her.

She smiled and shook it gently.

“And the same to you Mr. Way.” She replied.

“I told you, it’s Gerard.” I said.

“But as my patient I am to refer to you as Mr. Way.” She said.

“Well I think we might have to change that.” I said.

“Really, how so?” She mused, crossing her arms across her chest again.

“We should meet outside this hospital.” I said simply. “How about dinner?”

“I’m not sure if that’s such a good idea Gerard. You’re my patient.”

“Not outside of this hospital I’m not.” I reasoned.

“Hate to break it to you Gerard.” She sighed as she walked back towards the door. “But I don’t think you’re getting out of this hospital any time soon.”

“That’s okay.” I said pleasantly. “I can wait.”

She sighed and rolled her eyes before continuing to walk out the door.

“Goodbye Gerard.”

“Bye Rachel.” I called after her, laughing to myself.

I knew I was just wasting Rachel’s time by flirting with her but it had been a long time since I had talked to a girl, or anyone for that matter, and I was a bit lonely. That, and I was somewhat pleased that I could make her smile. She didn’t look like she had the chance to smile that much. Being a doctor, she probably rarely smiled at all. Seeing death every single day, and not being able to do anything about it. Must be hard. But what am I saying? I go through that on a daily basis as well.