Status: Hiatus until further notice. Sorry guys.

The Immortal

Chapter Six

“Mr. Way you have some visitors.” A nurse said, poking her head in the doorway of the hospital room the next morning.

“Visitors?” I asked, slightly bewildered.

How on Earth could I have visitors? I don’t talk to anyone, nor do I have anyone that would come visit me in a hospital.

“Oh, um send them in I guess.” I said uneasily. “You don’t mind, do you Frank?”

But he was still fast asleep in his bed.

“Yeah you can send them in.” I said to the nurse. “Thank you.”

Not a minute later, the same woman and her daughter from yesterday walked cautiously into the room.

“Uh…hi.” I said warily. I was still a little confused at that point as to what they were doing in my hospital room and it probably showed on my face.

“Hi.” The woman said. “My name is Jamia, and this is my daughter Erin.” She said, nudging the small girl forward. “I’m not sure if you remember anything from yesterday but-”

“I remember.” I said before she could finish.

“Well I, I mean we,” She said, nodding at Erin. “…just wanted to come down here to say thank you for what you did yesterday.”

“It was nothing.” I said, not really wanting to be praised for something any other person on the street would have done in that situation.

“Saving my daughter’s life is hardly nothing Mr. Way.” She said.

“Gerard.” I interrupted.

“Erin go say thank you to Gerard.” She said, nudging her daughter forward.

The little girl stepped forward cautiously then walked over to the side of my bed. She couldn’t have been more than six or seven and only her head and shoulders surpassed the height of the large bed I was in.

“Thank you for saving me.” She said quietly.

“You are most welcome.” I said smiling down at her.

“Are you hurt real bad?” She asked as she looked at my bandaged chest and arm.

“I’m fine.” I said. “How about you? Were you hurt at all?”

“I gots boo-boos on my knees!” She said proudly. “Wanna see?”

“Oh honey he doesn’t want-” Jamia started before I cut her off.

“It’s fine.” I laughed. “Let’s see your knees.”

Erin’s face lit up and she hitched the blue sundress she was wearing to just above her kneecaps to reveal her two bandaged knees. I was opening my mouth to say something when a loud yawn came from the bed beside me. Frank had finally woken up. He blinked a few times, taking in his surroundings, and smiled when he spotted Jamia standing at the foot of my bed.

“Are you a new nurse?” He asked, looking her over. “I thought I had met them all by now.”

“No I’m not a nurse.” She laughed.

“Too bad.” He sighed. “I would have loved waking up to see you every morning.”

Jamia blushed and looked down at Erin who was now tugging on her pant leg. “Yes honey?”

“Who’s that?” Erin asked as she pointed at Frank.

“Sweetie it’s not nice to point.” Jamia said, pulling Erin’s hand down.

“Why hello there.” Frank said, looking down at Erin. “What’s your name?”

“Erin.” She said quietly. “What’s yours?”

“My name’s Frank.” He said, holding a calloused hand for her to shake. “Very nice to meet you miss Erin.”

“Nice to meet you too mister Frank.” She said as she shook his hand.

“Is that your mommy right there?” He asked, looking up at Jamia.

“Yes.” Erin replied.

“Your daddy’s a lucky man.” He said as he smiled at Jamia.

“But I don’t have a daddy.” Erin said, causing Frank’s smile to vanish almost instantly.

“Oh…” He said quietly. “I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be.” Jamia said.

“Yeah, it’s okay.” Erin chimed in. “I don’t need a daddy when I gots the best mommy in the world!”

Jamia smiled fondly down at her daughter before taking her hand. “Come on sweetie, I think we should be-”

“Wait a minute!” Frank exclaimed. “You’re the little girl! The one Gee rescued!”

“Gee?” I asked, looking at him oddly.

“I’ve decided that’s your new nickname.” He explained.

“Oh…” I said slowly. “Yeah, that’s her.”

“We were just coming her today to thank him for what he did yesterday.” Jamia said. “But now I’ve gotta get this little one to kindergarten and then I’ve gotta get to work.”

“Bye Gerard!” Erin called back to me as she and Jamia walked towards the door. “Bye mister Frank!”

“Bye.” Frank and I said in unison.

By the time they had walked out of the room, Frank had already tossed the blankets off his legs and was easing himself in the wheelchair on the ther side of his bed.

“Need any help?” I asked as I watched him.

“Nope, I got it.” He said, and quickly wheeled himself around the corner of his bed and out the door of the room.

I stared after him slightly confused until he returned, wheeling himself back into the room with a folded piece of paper on his lap.

“What’s that?” I asked as he started to lift himself back into his bed.

“Jamia’s number.” He said, smiling triumphantly.

“Nice.” I said and reached to the side of me on the end table for my sketchbook. I was thankful that it was my left arm and some bones in that hand that were broken, not my right. I don’t know what I would have done if I weren’t able to draw while I was stuck in this hospital.