Jaded by Bright Colors and Faded Walls

horror film

Jade’s eyes traveled over the tall lanky boy standing in front of her with a large black object. He smiled at her nervously as she stared at him. He’d never been stared down by a living doll before. To him, that’s what Jade was, some sort of living doll. With her large wide green eyes, her small nose and tiny form, he could easily pack her into a suitcase. That’s what made her look so doll like to him, her size and her eyes. Together they seemed almost dangerous.

“So…Hi.” He waved. Jade waved back at him as she tipped her head to the side. She was trying to figure out what the object her was hold was. She couldn’t under stand its large square shape with the long circular cylinder coming off the front of it or the tall white and black rectangle on the top only behind held on by a small, round, short peg like thing.

“Sup!” Jake stated jumped down the stairs. He froze as he glanced between Jade and Oliver. “Whoa, tension?” He giggled.

“She keeps staring at me.” Oliver hissed softly as he glanced away form her to Jake.

“She does that.” Jake shrugged walking over to Jade and draping an arm around her thin shoulders. “Stop staring at him.” Jake whispered.

“What’s that thing?” She gasped at him. Jake laughed.

“A camera. It takes pictures.” She nodded. “We’re going to put them on the internet. Doug’s been showing you that right?” She nodded again. “Has he shown you MySpace?” She nodded again remembering the overly confusing sight. “We’ve got one for the band that’s why we’ve been recording our songs the past few days and now we need pictures for it.” She nodded slowly. Laughing he patted her head. “Jade this is Oliver Aaron’s little brother, Oliver this is Jade.” Both waved at each other again as they stared at each other for a few seconds. “Now… what do we have to so all might photo-shoot guru?” Jake teased. Oliver frowned.

“First off, pants would be good.” Oliver mumbled. Jake glanced down and laughed.

“I knew I forgot something this morning.” Jake giggled as he ran up the stairs past Dan, Doug and Aaron. Jade waved at them as she sat down on the ground hugging her knees to her chest as the skirt of her dress hid her legs.

“Hey, so… why’d we have to this now? I have like no lightly.” Oliver complained to his brother as Aaron moved behind him to get something. Aaron shrugged lightly, not explaining. They always seemed to leave the little fact that Jade was an asylum patient out when they talked to people about her; she was just always busy. “So when’s the first show?” Oliver changed subjects.

The room froze.

“Show?” Jade questioned. She had no clue what a show was other than tv show. She didn’t understand how they were going to a tv show, they didn’t even have cameras.

“Yeah, and we’re not sure so shut it.” Aaron snapped bitterly. They had yet to tell Jade what a show was on purpose, they didn’t want to over whelm her and now they’d have to later.

“What about a show?” Jade asked. Dan leaned down to her lightly.

“Don’t worry about it right now. We’ll tell you later.” She nodded again as Dan moved off to his drum set and sat down. Jade giggled as Doug moved over to the drum set and Dan.

“Doug!” She gasped jumping onto the kick drum and hugging the freakishly tall man. Standing on the kick drum was he was still about an inch or two taller than she was, much like the others. The boys all towered around the collective heights of six-foot-six and six-foot-four while Jade stood at her tallest on her toes four-foot-seven-and-an-eighth.

“Jade!” She squealed back hugging her tightly and lifting her as best he could off the drum set. Jade froze hearing a set of clicks. Hey head snapped in the direction of Oliver and she heard the sound again.

Doug set her back down on the kick drum. She stood perfectly up right staring at Oliver a bit startled. He took another picture, the shuttering clicking several times as it took the pictures.

“That’s like… horror movie shit.” He stated looking at the picture of Jade’s wide green eyes piercing the lens of his camera in the picture, the perfectly blank face she had. There was something about her that made her completely and utterly creepy, someone you wouldn’t wanna meet in a dimly lit alley way, yet, some how she had a counter point to it that made utterly and irrevocably beautiful. “It’s perfect.” Aaron looked over his shoulder at the picture and nodded agreeing. “What was she on Halloween?” Oliver gasped at the horrifying thought.

“I don’t know. We didn’t know her then.” Aaron laughed picking up his guitar and slinging it over his shoulder. “By the way that’s the only dress she seems to own.” He added. Oliver frowned at his brother.

“She only owns one dress?”

“No.” Jade stated playing with her skirt. “I own several but I like this one best.” She stated referring to the pure white dress she wore. The bottom was ratter and frayed from use and so were the ends of the sleeves. “The others are all ugly colors but I don’t have money to buy myself anything else and everyone always buys me ugly dresses ‘cause they think I like them.” She shot. Oliver glared at her childish tone, but nodded none the less.

“Well, what do you want me to do if she can’t change wardrobe?” Olive hissed at the boys.

“You’re the photo-shoot guru.” Jake stated as he re-entered the basement and smiled. “You figure it out.” Oliver glared but nodded none the less as they all grabbed their instruments.

Oliver took pictures of everyone as they practiced. His camera seemed to gravitate to Jade though as she moved behind her microphone singing, giving it her all. In each picture he took it was visible how much she loved what she was doing and how she wasn’t just going to back out of them. Oliver respected that, he didn’t want her to back out like the guys last singer.

“So,” Oliver stated softly as they sat around after band practice. He watched as Jade climbed over Doug’s shoulders messing with him; poking and pulling his cheeks, hair and nose to bug him. He laughed playing along with her. “What’s the band name? Still Six Feet High?” He asked. They all nodded. “How does that work if she’s not even five foot?” Jade stopped glaring at him.

“I’m almost five foot!” She shot he laughed.

“Sorry, just making a point.” Jade huffed and rested her chin on Doug’s shoulder as she sat behind him.

“It just works and it’s our own.” Dan muttered softly as Jake grabbed Jade around the waste pulling her into his lap and poking her nose lightly.

“Cheer up silly.” He stated. “You’re compact portable fun.” She giggled at his words. Oliver nodded slowly.

“So I was thinking, Jake, in the office there’s a large leather chair right?” Jake nodded as he hugged Jade tightly, squeezing her. She laughed swatting at him to let her go, he didn’t comply. “Can we use that?” Jake nodded. And they followed Oliver up stairs to the room. “Jade sit in the chair.” Jade sat down. “You guys need black blazers’ and jackets’.” The boys left. “You’re not to bright are you?” Oliver asked. He’d caught every time the guys had to explain something to her.

“I’m smart.” Jade growled at him and she leaned back in the chair on one arm. He blinked at the menacing glare coming from her as her jaw tightened and her full lips pursed out slightly. “I just don’t understand a lot of things.” She hissed he nodded lightly as Jade decided she didn’t like him anymore.

“Yeah, Okay.” He stated as the boys walked into the room. “Stand behind the chair. It’s kinda like a godfather kinda thing.” He muttered lightly. Jade was still glaring at him as Doug and Jake stood directly behind the chair and Dan and Aaron stood off to the side of it a bit. Oliver took the picture. “Aaron, Dan can you crouch down, or sit right under the arms.” They did as told as Jade glared at him and his camera. She didn’t like him telling her friends what to do. she didn’t care if he was Aaron’s brother. “Sweet.” Oliver stated. They nodded getting up.