Jaded by Bright Colors and Faded Walls

Never give up

William sat in rehab trying to get back in the habit of using his limbs. From the attack he’d lost the movement in his left arms and legs. He could still feel them, he just had trouble moving them.

“Left leg.” The woman stated. William huffed as he gripped the sides of the large pool like tub.

Slowly, pain shot up his leg as he moved it.

“Can you lift it higher?” she asked gently. Shrugging he let out a gasp of breath. “Don’t strain yourself, it’ll come back.” She smiled. Letting his leg float down he nodded. Grateful he had such a nice nurse. “Right leg?” She asked.

Left his right leg he looked around the large rehab room. There were dozen’s of other people learning to live with their problems or work on getting rid of the problems, like himself. He never once saw Jade in the room. Grateful of the fact, that meant she was fine. He had in fact gotten the worst of it.

But in reality it only meant Jade was still strapped to her bed, breathing tube down her throat, wires and iv’s stuck in her skin. The nurses weren’t expecting her to survive much longer the way she was.

“Hey.” Everyone looked up at Pete stepping in the room. “Fuck.” He whispered as his eyes landed on Jade’s broken form.

“What?” Aaron asked gently, eyeing their boss cautiously.

“He’s in prison.” Pete whispered.

“Good.” Was all they could manage to snap back at him.

“She going to be okay?” Pete whispered. His feet slowly carried him to her bed side. She looked so helpless, so broken.

“Nurses say it doesn’t look good.” Dan mumbled into his palm.

“Fuck.” Was all that Pete could manage. “Guys…” He stopped, his mouth flopping opened and closed. He had nothing to say to them. Just the action of him trying seemed to make things worse. Pete Wentz at a lose for words, horrible miracle at that moment.

Hours passed before the curtain re-opened. Everyone looked over at Jack and Alex standing there, floored by Jade’s appearance.

“How’d…” Dan trailed off. No one was aloud to see here.

“Saw Jake leave a few minutes ago while we were visiting William.” Alex stated as he sat next to Jade. “Sorry, we just… we had to…” He glanced at his hands before up at Dan.

Sighing Dan nodded, understanding completely.

“Nurses, um,” Dan cleared his throat trying to find the right words. “The nurse don’t think she’ll make it.” He stopped at the snorting sound. All eyes snapped to Jack.

“This is Jade.” Jack laughed. “Jade, this about that for a minute.” He snorted shaking his head. “Have you ever known Jade to give up on anything, small or big? She’ll make it, simply because she’s Jade. She’ll pull through, this is her life, she won’t give up.” He mused as he stood over her.

The room grew silent. It was true. Jade never gave up.