Jaded by Bright Colors and Faded Walls

Bright open eyes.

Everything faded in blurring around the edges on anything past five inches. There was a shuffle in the corner as everything seemed to press in into a tight circle.

“Jade?” Her eyes darted quickly to the face of an old friend she’d spent months with. The blonde hair and shockingly bright blue eyes gave him away; even if every other feature of his seemed to blur. “Morning sweetheart.” He whispered.

She giggled at the sound of his tired scratchy voice. Lifting her hand slowly she touched his face, his fingers trailing over his lips.

Coughs stifled the words she tried to form, the breathing tube stopping all actions of talking.

“Don’t talk. You’re in the hospital.” He stated. Jade groaned at the thought. She hated hospitals.

Instantly she raised her hand to her face looking at the wires and needles running into and around her hand and arm.

“Do you know who I….” Dan stopped as Albert, Alicia, Jack and Alex squealed in delight. “Would you four shut…” Albert shoved Dan to the floor roughly. “Ow.” He grumbled as the four swarmed the bed.

“What the…” Jake rolled over quickly. His green eyes darting around the room, startled by the loud commotion in the usually silent room. “I’ll fuck a fucker up!” He grumbled pointing around the room as his eyes focused. “Oh.” He whispered noticing who was freaking out. “It’s just them freaking out of jade.” He whispered laying back down.

Dan glanced over at Aaron before back at Jake as he jumped up running to the bedside as well.

“Alright!” Dan yelled standing up as Jade tried to smile at all her friends. “Back down or be forced to.” He commanded. All five stopped and stepped away from the bed. “You,” He pointed at Jack and Alex. “two go get the nurse.” He grumbled. Alex and Jack bolted like lightening. “You three shut up.” He grumbled at the remaining three. “Jade.” He smiled hearing a soft giggled from her. “Do you remember us?” He asked gently.

The simple nod she gave was enough the send the whole room into a soft easy glow.

“Do you remember William?” She nodded again, while still looking at her hand and all the wires, easily fascinated. “Do you remember what happened?” He asked gently. The shake of her head no let a weight drop on his shoulders. “Ok, do you want to?” He tried. She shook her head again. “Ok.” Stepping aside he waved his hand at the bed letting everyone had a go at it.

“Move!” The nurse yelled. Aaron whistled as she fully entered the room. People cleared from the bed side as the nurse entered. “You’ve been out along time.” The nurse whispered gently as she began checking Jade’s vitals.

It was true. Jade had been out for nearly two months. William was out of the hospital under the impression she was back in Maine doing more physical therapy and resting; just like he was doing in Chicago. She’d been diagnosed brain dead two weeks ago with no hope of coming out of it. That whole two weeks everyone was thinking of ways to break it to William and the rest of the world that loved her.

Jade simply shrugged at the thought of that. She didn’t care. It was just time she was laying in a bed she didn’t remember.

The nurse pulled the breathing tube and for the first time in two months Jade took a breath on her own. Smiling she giggled at the nurse.

“Try not talk.” The room snorted at the actions. She obviously didn’t know Jade. “Or not too much.” She added before leaving the room. The room snorted again at the thought.

“I can’t see.” Jade whispered in a low scratchy voice.

“Do what?” The room snapped. Jade poked Dan in the nose gently.

“You can’t see?” She shook her head laughing.

“Not past…” She moved her finger closer to her face. “Here.” She giggled. Her finger only hovered five inches from her face.

“Like, straight black?” Jack gasped. Aaron shoved him aside moving to the bedside.

“She might just need to readjust. Is it blurry past there?” Aaron questioned. Giggling she nodded. “Remember she hasn’t used her eyes in two or more months.” He stated backing down.

“Alright four eyes.” Albert huffed.

“She might just need glasses.” Aaron shot back.

Gasping Albert and Alicia spun around pointing at him as if he’d spoken vial against the clothing gods of American eagle or something.

“Never speak such evil things.” Albert whispered. “You may be able to pull off such things but her little face…” He covered his mouth at the thought. “No, never happening.” With that he spun around missing Aaron’s middle finger.

“I missed this.” Dan whispered watching his friends fight.

“I love his glasses.” Jade choked out.

“Thank you.” Aaron pointed. If Jade liked it Albert always cracked.

“No he’s a freaky four eye, ugly thing.” Albert mused lazily.

“and you’re dating him?” Alex pointed as Jake. Jake snorted and shrugged at the idea. “Wow, scrawny, white, messy and even and unstylish cut hair…” Alex waved his hands around lightly. “Yeah…you may be gay but low standards.” Alex laughed.

“This is true.” Alicia mused, glancing at her adoptive brother. Jade giggled at the fight.

“I don’t look for looks I look for personal…” He trialed off as Jake let out a massive bleach. “He’s good in bed!” Albert snapped defeated.

“I can’t deny that.” Jake gloated.

“Take your head out of butt.” Jade whispered. “And tell me where Billy is.” She stated. That’s the only person she was missing from the group really. The room went silent.

“He’s not here.” Dan whispered. Jack waved his hands in the air shutting everyone and everybody up.

“I’ll handle this, you’re all bad with words.” He stated. Alex snorted looking away, his hand over his mouth. “Jade,” He sat on her bedside, placing a hand on hers as she waved it around, feeling the wires. “William had to go back home for a while to take care of something at home. But he’s been here everyday up till yesterday. But right now we’re hoping to get you outta here before he’s on his plane back so you can show up to surprise him.” Jack smiled. Jade giggled.

“I’d like that.” She whispered. The room gently applauded Jack’s great words and great way around William’s missing form. Standing Jack bowed at his audience before sitting back down smiling at her.

“Get off the bed!” Dan snapped kicking Jack off the bed, trying not to smile or smirk like the rest of the room. Jade giggled and clapped at her friends, her vision still off.