Jaded by Bright Colors and Faded Walls

never let on

Jade glanced up as she heard the buzzer of the door. Her brows narrowed like many of the other girls did. She watched though as Dan walked in and to the nurses station. Jade wasn’t sure if she should scream and run to him or sit there and look dumbfounded that he was there.

He leaned in the nurses’ station window as the girls seemed to collect around to get a good look at the boy standing.

“No you can’t.” Jade frowned at Victoria’s hard voice.

“All I want to do is talk to Abby.” Dan sighed softly as he leaned into the window still, obviously not startled by her sudden yelling.

“If you don’t leave now young man I will have to make you.” Dan rose a brow lightly, interested in how the tiny women was going to get him to leave.

“Make me? Yeah, lady,” Dan ran a hand over his mouth as he tried to find the right words. “You don’t scare me. In this place you might be the scariest, badass around, but to me you’re nothing more than a tiny, frail little woman I could break. I live in the real world, out past these walls.” He leaned in more. “You don’t scare me one damn bit.” Victoria gasped, a hand over her chest as she tried to comprehend what he was saying to her. “May I please speak to Abby?” He tried again.

“She’s on her way sweety.” One of the other nurses stated. He nodded pulling away from the window lightly. He smiled at the girls as they stared at him. He watched as Jade waved at his wildly. Laughing he waved back at her. Several of the girls gasped at his motion and turned looking at Jade.

“Why are you here?” Jade asked lightly.

“I have to talk to someone.” Dan stated.

“So what’s you’re name?” She asked. He laughed as he watched her.

“Dan, what’s yours’ is Jade right?” She nodded at him as she sat on the ground, her legs out perfectly and her hands pressed to the ground between them. She nodded lightly.

“How’d you know that?” She asked.

“We met at the ice cream shop a couple months ago.” He stated. Jade blinked.

“Really?” She asked. Laughing he nodded at her. “Wow… my memory stinks.” She giggled, her hands slapping over her mouth.

“Hi Dan.” Jade looked at Abby walking in. She blinked a bit startled that Abby knew his name.

“Hey Abby.” He smiled at her. “I need to talk to you.” She nodded waving at him to follow. “See you girls later.” He muttered waving at them all. Jade stood up and followed in the pack of girls behind him.

“I can’t believe you talked to him.” Some of the girls gushed as Abby closed the door on her office. “And he knows you.”

“I don’t know him.” Jade frowned. “How does he know Abby?” Jade frowned spinning to look at the other girls, they just shrugged. “Victoria!!” Jade yelled running off towards the nurse’s desk. “Victoria!” She gasped slamming into the counter.

“What?” Victoria hissed at her.

“How does he know Abby?” She asked. Victoria shrugged. “You always claim you’re the eyes around here, you should know.” Jade gasped dramatically throwing her arms up.

“I don’t dabble in Abby’s personal life. He may be family; he may be friend of the family. I don’t know.” Jade huffed.

“You’re no help.” She snapped walking away.

“He’s really cute.”
“I know. Did you see his eyes?” There was squeal from the girls.
“They’re soo blue.” Another girl gushed. Jade rolled her eyes, sure he was cute but he wasn’t that cute. She paused at the thought, she didn’t find any of the boys overly attractive in a gushy, girly way the others did, but then again she was probably bias because she saw them every night.

Sitting down she glared at the ground in front of her as she crossed her arms over her small chest. What if she didn’t like boys? But that also wasn’t right either, because she lived with a bunch of girls and she didn’t find any of them even remotely pretty.

Huffing Jade grabbed the sides of her face pulling on them a bit annoyed that she couldn’t figure it out.

With a firm nod she gave up on the thought with the last note that, if she liked girls she liked girls, if she liked boys she liked boys and that she’d find out one day.

“It was nice seeing you.” Abby laughed softly. Jade sat up quickly from the spot she’d been laying in. Dan had spent a good whole hour talking with Abby. Her mousy brown hair flew around her head in a mess as she watched her blonde friend move towards the door. He wasn’t even going to say good-bye to her? The jerk.

Jade glared between the Dan and Abby.

“I’ll see you tomorrow?” Abby asked, Dan nodded as he waved.

“By ladies.” He called. He winked in Jade’s direction as he left, the door slamming closed behind him with several loud thuds.

“Jerk.” She huffed, that wasn’t a good enough good-bye for her. She’d give him hell for it later tonight.

“Jade can you come with me.” Abby asked softly. Sighing Jade stood up slowly and stumbled along after Abby. She kept her eyes on the ground as she glared at it. “Jade.” Jade’s head snapped up a bit startled, she’d forgotten she was following Abby. “You okay?” She asked as she closed the door. Jade nodded slowly.

“Boys are jerks.” Jade stated. Abby laughed.

“Why’s that?” Abby asked.

“How do you know him?” Jade stated completely shifting gears. Abby sighed.

“I met him the same time you did. He came by later that evening when you were talking with Lilly.” Jaded nodded slowly as Abby leaned down towards her. “I know what you’ve been doing.” She whispered, teasing the small girl.

“I know you know.” Abby blinked a bit startled. “I never take my medication. You know that silly.” Jade giggled. Abby rose a brow a bit confused. Either Jade was a very good actress or she really didn’t know what was going on.

“Not that. That happens in the morning.” Jade nodded.

“I know happens every morning at nine am.” Jade muttered with a sharp nod as Abby sighed.

“I know what you’ve been doing at night and we’re you’ve been.”

“I’ve been somewhere?” Jade muttered quickly. “Really?” She gasped like a little girl. She didn’t like lying to Abby but she was told to not let anyone know, even if they said they knew. Dan told her to pretend like she had no clue. “Was it somewhere nice? Was it warm there?” Jade asked.

“You’ve been at Jake’s house.” Abby stated flatly.

“Who’s Jake?” Jade tipped her head to the side as Abby sat down in the chair behind the desk with a sigh. She was getting no where with Jade. Dan hadn’t warned her Jade would play stupid soo well, but then again Victoria had been trying to pry information out of Jade as well lately so Jade had gotten good at playing stupid.

“The boy with black, green and blue hair.”

“Ooh.” Jade giggled leaning onto the desk, her head held in her hands as her feet pulled the thin chair towards her. “Jake’s hair sounds pretty. What color green and blue?” She asked. Abby frowned.

“I don’t know, you tell me.” Jade sat back.

“I hope their those bright colors I’m not aloud to have,” She paused blinking. “What are they called?” She asked despite the fact she knew very well they were called neon or solid bright colors.

“Bright colors?” Abby asked a bit confused.

“Yeah.” Jade giggled. “I hope they’re that color. Can I meet Jake one day so I can find out if his hairs bright colors?” She gasped her hands tucking under her chin in a cute way. Abby sighed as she leaned back in her chair, a small smile spreading over her lips.

“I think Dan’s been lying to me.” She sighed. “You’re not going out at night are you? To sing in his band, to live a normal life?” Abby asked. Jade blinked. She didn’t have response to that one.

“What?” She asked tipping her head to the side as Abby groaned.

“I thought maybe you could have a real life so I agreed to hide any and all evidence that you went out at night.” Abby sighed. Jade’s shoulder relaxed. “But I haven’t found any so, I guess that means you haven’t been going.” Abby frowned. Jade blinked.

“Or I’m really good.” Jade whispered looking down at her hands.

“Have you been going?” Abby asked sitting up right.

“Am I in trouble?” Jade countered. Abby shook her head.

“No sweetie you’re not. I want you to go. You are the most normal of the girls here. You should find you’re self a career and live life out side these boring walls.” Abby whispered.

“So can I go out more?” Jade tried smiling. Abby’s small smile fell.

“Don’t push it. Victoria’s already suspicious.” Abby growled. Jade frowned.

“I hate her.” She whispered spitefully.

“Don’t say that, she has you girls’ best intentions at heart.” Jade frowned at her. “Oaky maybe not yours, but the others she does.” Jade rolled her eyes.

“She makes Liz feel like she’s stupid and it’s not her fault her dad smashed her brains in.” Abby blinked a bit started that Jade knew the gruesome fact. “She makes the other girls feel as if their freaks. There are the select few that Victoria actually cares for and treats like people. I know I’m the worst one but that doesn’t really matter to me because I love pissing her off.” Abby blinked startled even more. Jade sounded so grown up, Jade never sounded grown up. A small smile began to stretch it’s way across Abby’s face, the boys were already starting to make Jade more human it seemed.