In This Together

Chapter One

I stare directly forward into almond-shaped eyes. Dark, familiar eyes that look weary and weak. Wild brown hair frames the worn face, with hints of frown lines caused by too much worry at much too young of an age.

Looking away from the mirror, I wonder how readable my face is to those around me. If it’s just me that can see how exhausted I feel, or if it’s obvious to everyone.

I spit one last time before rinsing my toothbrush, splashing some water on my face and running a comb through my hair to look more presentable. A glance at my watch has me headed on my way- my life is run by the clock.

Shoes, wallet, keys, and out the door. I set the alarm, feeling better when I see the blinking red light that means the home is protected, and hurry to the car. Looking at my watch again, I see that I’m two minutes behind my desired schedule. Two minutes that have the potential of making all the difference.

The idea to speed in order to make up for lost time is extinguished as I spot a police car in the lane next to me. I instinctively check the speedometer and the clock, exhaling with a heavy sigh. If I’d been just a few minutes later, I wouldn’t have risked the trip, no matter how much I’m craving the coffee that will get me through the day. It isn’t worth the stress if I’m late, and I can only hope the lines won’t be too long.

When I arrive, there are more people inside than I would like. I hurry in to stand in the back of the line, with five people in front of me and only two baristas. My nerves buzz anxiously and I try to distract myself to keep from stressing over the consequences of being late. I catch the eye of a red-haired woman, who’s sitting at a table in the corner. She smiles at me over the rim her coffee cup, and I glance around to check for someone else that the gesture might be for. Seeing no one making eye contact with her, my gaze falls on her again. She’s pretty, the kind of looks a guy would be lucky to find. And she’s batting her eyelashes at me.

It takes me by surprise and I feel my cheeks warming up. I turn away so she won’t see my blush, occasionally stealing a glance at her. She stares back every time, still smiling.

As far as distractions go, she proves herself to be a very effective one. The young woman’s fiery curls and full lips dance through my head as I wait, considerably less worried. I order my drink and get lost in my head until it’s ready. When I turn, I find myself faced with a park of jade green eyes that contrast nicely with the woman’s red hair. Up close she’s even more stunning, and I can see that she can’t be much older than I am.

“Hi. I’m Jody.” She smiles as she introduces herself, a sparkle in her eyes. “I noticed you from over there.”

It takes me a moment to respond. “Joe,” I finally answer, grasping her outstretched hand to shake it. The mix between her soft skin and hard nails make my heartbeat speed up. “I noticed you from… from over here.”

Smooth, I think, mentally kicking myself. I’ve never been an expert in flirting, and it’s been longer than I’d like to think about since I’ve even talked to an attractive woman. It’s a relief when she laughs, moving a strand of hair back into place. I’d somehow managed to charm her.

“I hoped so.” She giggles- an almost musical sound, coming from her. “I suppose it would be a bit redundant to ask you out for coffee sometime.”

I glance down at my cup and laugh nervously. “Yeah. But, uh, there’s always another day.”

“Or there’s dinner,” she suggests. I take a moment to process that I’ve just been asked out by an attractive woman- it seems too good to be true.

My heart sinks when I realize it is. I have way too much responsibility to take out pretty girls. I have someone who needs me more than I need a social life.

Someone who will be waking up very soon.

“I… I can’t.” I look at my watch, starting to panic when I see the time. “I’d love to, but I can’t. I’m sorry, I have to go.”

She has a look of surprise on her face as I rush past her, and I mourn the possibilities I’ve just run away from. I’m hurriedly sipping my coffee as I start my car, praying for a patrol-free road. My stomach twists when I feel my speeding car collide with another, realizing a second too late that I hadn’t looked before merging. I can see the damage on the bumper of the other car as we both pull over to the side of the road, and I reach for my insurance information in the glove compartment. I freeze upon seeing the time digitally displayed on the dashboard. There is absolutely no chance of making it home in time.

This is going to be a very long day.