‹ Prequel: Looking For a Lifeline

Hollywood ***

Eighteen Days

Melody’s POV

This is it. I was now officially packing to leave for Boston. My eyes remained focus on my packing. I was just taking some stuff now and the rest of my belongings would be shipped to me as soon as I found a place, including Lacrimosa. The sounds of Mozart filled my house and since I was in my depressing mood, I had to listen to the Requiem. I guess the saying “misery loves company” is appropriate right now.

“This is it, huh,” Josie asked as she walked into my room with Kat.

“The day you leave us,” Kat finished as I packed my shirts.

I looked at them and nodded. For some reason, it was hard to talk today. Maybe because I felt like if I opened my mouth, I’d start crying. I didn’t want to cry in front of anyone. I rather wallow in my own sadness by myself. Jeesum, I sounded like an emo kid with that statement.

“Have you talked to Brian?”

Instantly, my eyes shifted to Josie who now sat on one of the couches in my room. I bit my lower lip as I looked at her. A sigh escaped as I returned to packing my duffle bag. Lacrimosa climbed onto my bed and looked at me, whining. I placed my hand on his head as I answered, “No. I haven’t talked to him.”

“Don’t you think you should,” Kat questioned, “I mean you are in-”

“I don’t want to talk about it,” I said, cutting her off as I walked into my walk in closet, “I don’t want to talk about it. I should have not come back into his life.”

They just stared at me as I went through my jackets and whatnot. I couldn’t handle looking at Brian, knowing that I was in love with him but chose to leave him. I felt like I couldn’t stay in here in Huntington knowing that. It hurt just too much. I figured leaving would be better for the both of us. Brian could move on with his life and find someone who will make him happy, hopefully it won’t be Kaytee or another slut, but just be right for him. And I……. well, I could just live my life in Boston and maybe do the same.

You belong together.

No, we don’t. He deserves someone that makes him happy.

You make him happy. He makes you happy. You two belong together.

And I’m having a conversation with a little voice in my head. I think that’s a little insane considering that’s a sign of being crazy. Maybe I am crazy. Maybe I have issues with myself that result in me having conversations with myself.

I think you’re avoiding this conversation, Melody.

I had no response to that.

She said I think I'll go to Boston...
I think I'll start a new life,
I think I'll start it over, where no one knows my name,
I'll get out of California, I'm tired of the weather,
I think I'll get a lover and fly ‘em out to Spain...
I think I'll go to Boston,
I think that I'm just tired
I think I need a new town, to leave this all behind...
I think I need a sunrise, I'm tired of the sunset,
I hear it's nice in the Summer, some snow would be nice


“Ironic,” my father said as I walked into the kitchen, “These lyrics fit you so well.”

I looked at the ipod that was in the dock and saw that Augustana’s Boston was playing. It was James’ ipod and I figured he wanted to listen to that song just to be funny or something like that. He was in his weird mood and was doing really strange things due to his strange desires for sugar. Last night, at ten, he threw away a pack of Oreos and around two in the morning, he got them out and started eating them. Such a silly man, that guy is.

“Do you think I’m making a bad decision,” I asked as I sat down across from my father.

He looked at me and raised an eyebrow. “Melody River Romanov, you are a strong girl. No matter how bad the situation is, you always seem to bite the bullet and pull yourself through it. You’ll be fine in Boston. Hell, I think you’ll be marvelous.”

I smiled when he said that. I always could pull myself out of crappy situations and make the best of it. When I lived with my mother, I was in Hell but I came through that. I made the best out of it thanks to………….

Yup, Brian. He was there. I’m telling you that you and Brian belong together!

You again? Joy.

“But you don’t think I should stay,” I asked.

“I want you to stay but you’re an adult. You can make your own decisions.”

I think you’re making the wrong one.

I’m beginning to think that as well.

“I also think you should say good-bye to Brian,” dad said, getting up, “He was your best friend and I believe he deserves a proper good-bye.”

“I’m too scared to do that,” I whispered.

“I guess this is good-bye,” James said as he pulled up to the airport.

I looked at him and nodded. This was good-bye. I was leaving for Boston. I was gone.

“I guess so,” I replied, getting out of his hummer, “I’ll see you around.”

James nodded as he helped me get my bag from the trunk. I stood there for a bit as I adjusted the strap on my bag, looking at him. We just stared at each other for a couple of seconds before he wrapped his arms around me and pulled me close to him, hugging me. I smiled as I hugged him back, thinking about how James was there for me. He was with me when the worst thing happened: when I lost Alessandra. He didn’t blame me like I blamed myself but was there for me. I was going to miss him.

“Damn, I’m going to miss you Mel,” he said, still holding onto me.

“I’m going to miss you too,” I replied back, placing my hand on his cheek, “You better take good care of Josie.”

That smile was on his face as he rolled his eyes. “I will. Josie will be taken care of.”

“Good. Did you-”

“Yes I did,” James said, answering the question I was about to ask, “I did what you asked for me to do.”

“Thanks James,” I said, adjusting my grip on the strap of my bag, “If you’re in Boston, look me up.”

“I will.”

With that, I smiled as I turned around and walked inside the airport. A tear slid down my face as I thought of how much I was going to miss Brian. This was killing me but I knew this was for the best. He’d be better off without me there.

No, he wouldn’t.

Brian’s POV

Eighteen days had passed since the welcome home party for Melody. Eighteen days since I found out that I was too late and she was going to Boston. She was leaving and I couldn’t stop her. She was gone and I lost the love of my life.

“Dude, Brian,” Liz called as she spotted me drinking, “You okay?”

Zacky and Liz were having a barbeque at their place but all I really wanted to do was sit there and drink. I was planning on spending my day that way but Jimmy actually walked into my house and dragged me to the party. I know their all worried about me considering they wanted me to tell Mel but lost my chance and they’re just looking out for me. It’s understandable, really.

“I’m fine,” I mumbled, staring at my bottle, “I’m fine.”

“Here’s a little dedication to a guy named Brian from girl named Melody,” the DJ on the radio said.

Instantly, I turned my head and Johnny turned up the volume.

It’s been eighteen days
Since I've had to look at myself
I don't wanna have to change
If I don't then no one will
Is it my state of mind
Or is it just everything else
I don't wanna have to be here
I don't understand it now


What was she saying by dedicating a song to me? Especially this song? Was there something she was trying to tell me?

Cause it’s been eighteen days
Since I first held you
But to me it feels just like
It feels like a lifetime
I'm trying hard to re-arrange
Some say it’s the hardest thing to do
But that's another eighteen days
Without you..


Eighteen days is correct. It has been eighteen days since I’ve held her and seen her. After that party, she was gone. I didn’t hear from her one time. I just heard things from James or Neil but she never once contacted me. Why? Was she scared or something?

Time after time
I've been through this
You show me what it means to live
You give me hope when I was hopeless
As my days fade to night
I remember that state of mind
I'm soaring straight into your heart
And I'll fly high


Melody always came to me whenever she felt hopeless. I’d stay with her and tell her everything would get better. It did but I lost her the first time. But what the Hell was she trying to say? Then it clicked.

Cause it’s been eighteen days
Since I first held you
But to me it feels just like
It feels like a lifetime
I'm trying hard to re-arrange
Some say it’s the hardest thing to do
But that's another eighteen days
Without you..


She loved me. Melody Romanov loved me. She loved me and I loved her. That’s what she was trying to say. I knew for a damn fact she was not one to wear her heart on her sleeve and just admit her feelings. She kept it inside but she should have told me.

But, she probably was just like me: scared to admit it.

And I know what they say
About all good things
Will they come to an end
But I'll fight this time
So that we might
Have a chance at this

Cause it's been eighteen days
Since I'd look at myself
I don't wanna have to change
If I don't then no one will


“I have to go,” I said, standing up and grabbing my keys, “I have to go.”

“Go where,” Val asked as I walked passed her, “Where the fuck do you think you’re going?”

I turned around and looked at all the confused faces, smiling. “I’m going to get her back. I’m in love with Melody!”

I didn’t hear what was yelled after me but I just got in my car and sped off. I needed to stop her from making the worst mistake of her life.

Cause it’s been too many days
Since I first held you
But to me it feels just like
It *feels* like a lifetime
I'm trying hard to re-arrange
Some say it's the hardest thing to do
But that's just too many days without you

And I know what they say
About all good things
Will they come to an end
But I'll fight this time
So that we might
Have a chance at this..
♠ ♠ ♠
Eh, not my favorite but whatever. It sets up for the part I've been dying to write

Click here for the video for 18 Days. Oh, random note about the video: it was filmed on the USS Hornet! Go Navy! HOOYAH!

For the next update, listen to Don't Go Away by Buckcherry.

Wooooo! Terminator Salvation on Thursday!