‹ Prequel: Looking For a Lifeline

Hollywood ***

A Talk Over Lunch

Brian’s POV
I watched Michelle as she grabbed my laptop and sat in the living room, pushing Pinkly away, and sitting down. Ever since we found out that Melody was previously married, Michelle went on a little tangent to find out who was her ex-husband. For me, I was just surprised that she was married. I mean, Melody was probably the last person in our group that I could see getting married and yet, she was the first. Whoever he was, he must have been something for her.

“Okay, every time I look her up, I get River Romanov-Michael,” Michelle said.

“Her middle name is River,” I explained.

“Whatever,” she scoffed, “That still doesn’t explain why there’s a hyphen and a ‘Michael’ attached to her last name.”

I rolled my eyes as I sat down in my chair. Pinkly was curled up on my lap and I decided to turn on the television. There really wasn’t anything on except for that weird dancing show and House so of course, I’ll go with the crazy doctor. Since when do I want to watch some celebrity dance? That’s valuable time I have right there and I’m wasting it watching some dancing morons. A sigh came out as I scratched Pinkly’s head and watched Dr. Gregory House do his usual strange antics as he solved another case.

“Listen to this title from some article: ‘Melody River Romanov, producer/studio guitarist and the daughter of Motley Crue guitarist Mick Mars, marries fellow producer and song writer James Michael.’,” Michelle read, “Where have I heard that name?”

Wait a second. I heard that name as well but the question was where have I heard it. “Scruffy blond old man” was the name that Melody used to refer to her ex-husband. There was a James on Cruefest who I briefly met. Scruffy. Blond. Old. Man.

“We met him,” I whispered, “We met her ex-husband on Cruefest!”

“Who was he,” Michelle asked, trying to follow my train of thought.

“You married the lead singer of Sixx: AM,” I asked as I got inside the studio and found Melody, “He is your ex-husband?”

Everyone’s gaze turned to her as Melody looked at from her laptop. A small smile was on hergorgeous face as she raised an eyebrow.

“Yeah,” Melody nodded like it was stupid, “I married James. Sheesh, it’s not that big of a shock.”

“He’s such a sweetie,” Leana said as she began to remember him like the rest of us, “He wasn’t all hyper like everyone else was.”

A small laugh was Melody’s response as she pulled the chain of one of her many necklaces. It was silver and whatever it had on it was underneath her shirt. “James is one of my favorite people in the whole wide world,” she said, “He even let me keep this when we divorced.”

Attached to that silver chain was a ring. White gold with emeralds leading towards the center where a square cut diamond lay. It was her wedding band and she wore it even if they weren’t married anymore. “He let you keep your wedding ring,” Liz asked, “That’s so sweet!”

“Yeah, he’s always going to be special to me,” Mel said, “I love him to death just not like that.”

James was luckier than Jacoby because he got to call Melody his wife and even if they didn’t work out, they still obviously still cared about each other. Hearing her talk about him made me feel so jealous, more jealous than I felt when I saw her with Jacoby. How is it that whatever Melody does now, I always wish that it was me that could make her smile? She’s so happy now and I’m not even part of it.

“I want to watch them,” Lacey said, “We should have a movie night sometime.”

“Totally! Then we can see what Melody has been up to over the past eleven years,” Liz said, “And I want to see your wedding pictures!”

“Um, I think we had some friends film it and they meshed it into a little random movie,” Mel responded, “The random ideas that occur with us.”

“I’m going out to lunch,” Melody called as she stood up, grabbing her bag.

It was noon and we all were getting hungry. Jimmy was holding his cell phone as he glanced at a menu from a near-by Chinese restaurant; it was his day to order lunch. We all looked at Melody as she pulled her keys from her pocket and made sure the car key was in her hand instead of the other keys.

“You’re not staying for lunch,” Val asked, “Jimmy’s ordering.”

“I can’t stand being inside all day,” Mel replied, pulling her jacket on, “I’ll be back in an hour.”

She walked out and I stood there for a few moments, thinking, before I followed her. Michelle grabbed my arm, stopping me, as she asked, “Where are you going?”

“I want to see if I can tag along,” I replied, shrugging her off.

Michelle just rolled her eyes but didn’t say anything as I walked out the door. Melody was just getting into her car as I caught up with her. “Hey Melody,” I called, jogging towards her so that she wouldn’t speed off.

“Yeah?”

“Do you mind if I join you,” I asked.

She looked at me for a couple of seconds before she said, “Alright. Any suggestions?”

I got into the passenger side and she turned the ignition. Sixx: AM’s Life is Beautiful started playing and I couldn’t help but notice that Melody was smiling. God, she has a beautiful smile.

Melody’s POV

It’s really, really, really awkward being in my car with Brian as I listen to Sixx: AM. I mean, here is my former best friend listening to my ex-husband. I mean, seriously, it screams awkwardness here. I haven’t really talked with Brian; it was more of the “hi” deal and that was it. Both of us felt awkward and we both knew it. Hell, none of us spoke as I drove around finding somewhere that seemed appealing towards me.

“You don’t mind going to Chipotle,” I asked as I saw one coming up.

“Sure,” Brian answered, staring at the floor.

I glanced at him as I parked. He was avoided my gaze at all costs and that made it even more awkward. Part of me wanted to just tell me to stop being a little kid but the other part just wanted to let him do his strange antics. I knew that he thought I was mad at him for what happened those years ago; it was written all over his face.His perfect face

After ordering, we sat at a table outside, facing one another. Brian kept his focus on his food while I texted my dad. Apparently, I was in for a surprise soon. I didn’t like the sound of that. Hell, I’m never fond of surprises.

“You know,” I said as I pulled my hair into a ponytail so it wouldn’t get in my face, “Silence isn’t fun, Brian.”

“I don’t know what to say to you, Mel,” Brian said, finally looking at me, “Sorry doesn’t seem strong enough. I wasn’t there for my best friend and then you left. Seeing you now makes me feel like I should have helped you instead of being an ass.”

I took a sip of my soda as I shook my head. “Brian, if there’s one thing I learned from my father and James is to let things go. My best friend was a guy, of course he would think with his dick. I just want my friend back.”

That’s when Brian looked up at me. His eyes locked with mine as confusion filled them. “Sure, I was mad at first,” I said, “I felt replaced but I lived with my father. I went on tour with Motley Crue and they helped raise me. They were the biggest perverts ever but they were guys. Tommy, especially, was the one who brought girls on the buses all the time. Nikki and Vince did it as well. Occasionally my own dad but I learned that guys will think with their dicks. James also helped me learn to just forget about my mother. I may have my mother’s looks but I am nothing like her.”

“Your mother is an ass,” Brian snorted.

I laughed when he said that. Brian always said that about my mother but I don’t disagree with him. My mother is an ass.

“I really do miss having you around,” he admitted, looking at me, “I missed my best friend.”

“I missed you, too, Brian.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I abso-fucking-lutely hearts the banner. Liz is just plain fubtastic!

So, for all of you who don't know who James Michael is, I am adding the links to two Sixx AM videos! The description, scruffy blond old man, works so there. Actually he's the only blond one there!

Accidents Can Happen
Life is Beautiful

my all time fav pic of James
here