Status: Active.

Sorrow Sank Deep Inside My Blood.

Danger.

"So..." Charlie trailed off, playing with the sleeves of her cold, thinning jacket. She wrapped the material around her fingertips, before pulling the opened sides together tightly, her hands wrapping around her knees after doing so. She looked up, leaning her head against the old bark of the tree behind her.

"Um. Is there any food left? There should be. I packed enough for a fortnight..." She spoke, feeling awkward.

"Er, sure." Brian spoke, moving to the large bag where the food was kept. "The bread's all moldy, apart from one stale slice. As is all the fruit, and I don't know how the hell you're going to cook all this without a stove." He gestured to the bag of tofu she had picked up, before putting it down and throwing the old food behind himself. He handed her the piece of bread with a wary look.

"I packed some cheese slices. They don't need cooking. And anyway, we can start a fire." She spoke, keeping her attention on the piece of bread she rotated in her hand.

"You ate those yesterday." Brian answered, picking up the empty packet.

"You still have defrosted chicken, here. And some ham." He smirked, twirling the box in his hand.

"Pass me the damn food." She spoke, scowling slightly, her hands outreached.

He got off the floor, and passed her the box, before sitting next to her. She took out a few pieces, and handed him the box back.

"Don't let me eat any more. If we're going to be here for a while, I'm going to have to start rationing. And anyway, what're you eating?" She asked, staring at him with a curious look on her face. She hadn't seen him take a mouthful since they'd arrived.

"Oxygen." He smirked, slipping down the tree and closing his eyes.

"What, are you anorexic, now? You haven't eaten in five days, that I know of." She asked, her eyebrows creasing.

"Something like that." He continued smirking, and opened one eye so he could watch her expression.

"'Something like that'. Right, okay." She rolled her eyes, and smiled at him.

"I'm going to get some chicken." She stated, pushing herself off the floor, and brushing the dirt off her legs.

"It needs cooking, you don't want food poisoning." He spoke, one eyebrow raised as he watched her move over to the bag.

"I'll light a fire. I know a thing or two about camping." She spoke, smiling, and reaching into her pocket for a lighter. "It's called cheating." She winked at him, before laughing slightly to herself.

"Make sure you keep it in control. Someone might find us." He warned, watching her excitement.

The fire was small, and a ring of stones surrounded it. Charlie pulled a piece of chicken from a box and stuck it onto one of the skewers she'd thought on to bring, and held it over the fire until the colour began to change throughout. She left it to cool for a few minutes, before using one of her last bottles of water to put the fire out.

Brian's back shot upright, and he turned to look behind him. His fists clenched into fists, and his breathing stopped.

"Charlie? Wait here! Do not move. I have to check something." He spoke, getting to his feet. His face was glazed in worry, and his words cracked.

"Is something wrong?" She asked, attempting to her to her feet, also, before he gestured for her to sit down. He breathing began to hitch, and her heart started to pick up a few paces.

Was this what they were waiting for?

"I'm not sure..." He said quietly, trailing off, and walking towards to entrance.

Charlie stood up, dropping her unfinished chicken onto a plastic bag, looking around her. When she couldn't see anything, she backed up against a tree, and her eyes began to search frantically.

A hand placed itself on her shoulder, cold and new.

"We've been looking for you." An unfamiliar voice spoke from beside her.

Gasping, she stepped forward and turned around to see who was there.

Nothing.

"Boo." The same voice whispered from the small space behind her. He placed his hand on her shoulder, again. Her hand flung to her neck as she gasped once more.

Scared, she turned to face the stranger.
♠ ♠ ♠
Whoa. I know, really quick update, but I have the last two chapters on paper to copy up, and I'm really with them.
Please comment and let me know what you think!