Status: Active.

Sorrow Sank Deep Inside My Blood.

Safe.

Brian stood up, not knowing what to say or do, and he walked over to a tall oak tree towering the crypt they were sat in front of. He sat below the trunk, on top of an over grown root; leaning his head back on the bark and smiling slightly to himself. His hand stroked the rotting wood beneath him, as though it was as smooth as silk. He waited a few minutes, before looking up at Charlie, hoping that the conversation on her getting home would pass.

"When I was in University, I used to sit below trees like this, whilst reading a book. I realised it was so cliché, but it was something everyone had to do in Uni." He laughed slightly, before looking back at Charlie, who had a half bemused, half intrigued look upon her face.

"I realise you may be scared. Confused or worried, even. You're in a cemetery with a guy you met in the middle of the night - but if there's any way to possibly trust a stranger - trust me. This is the safest place in the world for you right now." Brian explained, trying not to reveal too much. "I'll take you back when I know you'll be safe, I promise."

"Whoa, I'm confused. Are you like, my guardian angel or something?" Charlie asked, many an impossible possibilities running through her mind. She then looked at her hand, and giggled at her expression. She's read so many books on mythological creatures, that she was trying to place him to one. Nothing matched, and she giggled briefly again, and shook her head.

"Not exactly. Now, I need to know for certain you trust me." He spoke, reaching his hand forward warily.

Charlie clasped his fingers, and shuddered slightly as Brian sat bolt upright. Sparks flew through his back, like shudders, but much more powerful. Once they'd ran course throughout his body, they went back through his fingertips.

"I don't know what it is about you, but put it this way; I don't usually walk away with strange handsome guys in the middle of the night." She winked awkwardly, hoping her humour would ease him.

Brian smiled slightly at the compliment, it had been long since he'd gotten one of those. But at the same time, he was still pondering over the reaction of her touch. When he was first changed, he had be told something about something as such.. but he couldn't quite place what it meant.

"I'll take you back at midnight. It's still Halloween, you're not safe yet. I'll protect you." He swore, releasing the grip of Charlie's hand, and walking back over to the tomb. She sat wondering what he meant by that, a confused expression covering her face.

"Twenty, with my whole life ahead of me." He whispered under his breath - in a tone low enough Charlie wouldn't hear - stroking the lid.

******

It had been a long day. Charlie stayed sat in the same place, hugging herself to try and keep warm. Her stomach growled every now and then, but not audible enough for Brian to hear. They'd talked a lot through out the day. About music, television, films. Their conversation died at concerts. Brian had never been to one, he couldn't. He was dead to the known world, and being in a crowded room as such would surely kill him, or a lot of people at least. He was already using all the strength he could to protect Charlie, which astounded him at how easily it could be done with the right frame of mind.

Slowly, midnight came around, and Brian led the way back.

"Ohh, my brother's going to kill me! The only thing I look for getting home is my bed and a warm cup of tea... So, are you ever going to tell me what this was about?" She asked.

"Well. No. But if I let you go home, you would be dead by now." He answered subtly.

Charlie froze at that, and mumbled an "Okay" under her breath. She shook it off, before speaking again.

"So. How about we get breakfast tomorrow?" She offered, smiling slightly.

"I don't really eat breakfast, but I'm sure you'll see me around." He said, trying to stop himself from getting close to her. Charlie's heart sank a little, and she stopped dead in her tracks.

"Wait. You kid nap me for a full 24 hours, claiming to be saving my life, and all you can say if that you'll see me around?" She rolled her eyes and strode off, not wanting anything to do with him.

Gob smacked, Brian caught up to her with ease, grabbing her shoulder to stop her. She turned around and looked at him, with a sympathetic look on her face.

"Breakfast sounds great." He smiled. "I'm sorry, I know I'm awkward to be around..." He trailed off, feeling guilty as she looked up to him and smiled.

"You're fine." She grinned widely.

****

Charlie made her way into her flat, as Brian walked back to the bench where they met; listening out for her the whole time.

Her small steps, her door opening, the kettle boiling. Her brother must not have been in.

"So. Who's your friend?" A deep voice sounded from behind him...

"What do you want, Jimmy?" Brian asked, not turning around. His hands balled up into fists, which were clenched tight enough to turn his pale white skin, a light blue; and he scrunched his eyebrows up. He sat as still as a marble statue, knowing one rash movement he would make, would end up in a brawl if he couldn't control himself.

"You know the rules Brian. There's no getting out of this one. What were you doing with the girl?" Jimmy asked, sitting down on the bench next to him. Brian could sense Jimmy's eyes boring into the side of his skull, but he tried to ignore it to the best of his abilities.

"She was lost. I helped her find her way home. I felt sorry for her. It's not like we bonded." He said, compulsively lying.

"My scrawny ass. I saw you two talking yesterday." He spoke, bitterly.

"Haven't you got a ceremony to attend, Jimmy?" Brian asked as coolly as he could.

"Don't you?" He replied.

"I'm not going. I quit the clan. I quit this damn lifestyle. I never wanted to be this... monster. I've only got you to blame for that." He half-shouted, turning around to glare at Jimmy mid-sentence, remembering the night of the sacrifice... his transformation.

"You know there's only way to quit. And that's never going to happen for you. You can't fall in love, Brian. It's against the rules. Humans are against the rules." He spat

"WHAT RULES? The rules Matt made? What makes him the chosen leader? Why must I do what he says. I may be dead, but this is my undead-life I'm leading. I'm sick of killing innocent people just to please Matt. Screw him." Brian started shouting bitterly again, crossing his arms over his chest, huffing like a five year old.

"Matt's far stronger than you'll ever be. That's why. The decision is yours, my man. But I'm not going to bale you out this time. He knows. And Johnny and Zacky know, too. You know what happens now."

"I run." Brian smirked, as Jimmy fled.

Brian stood up, stretched, and ran straight to Charlie's apartment. He wasn't going to let her get killed, he was too connected to her for that.
♠ ♠ ♠
:D:D:D
i lied.
i couldn't wait to update, so i did it tonight watching NCIS :')
the next should be up soon, no more 3 month hiatus' :)
xxxx

p.s. if you want me to continue, i'm going to need some comments. i have 40 odd subscribers, and i want to know what you're all thinking! :)