Will It Be Forever

Part Twelve- You're Not What I Expected

Matt and Addeline had been dating for about two weeks and she had the feeling that things were going to take a step forward soon. Nervousness struck her at the mere thought of it all but she had to admit that it was exciting. She hadn’t had a serious relationship in a long time and with it being Matt… Then… Well, who the hell was she to complain? No one.

She had just finished interviewing two bouncers for the bar when she heard the door open again. Dear God, if it was Brian she was going to kick his ass. Yeah, she liked talking to him SOMETIMES, he was an ok guy, but he could get really annoying and really fast.

She had already talked to the rest of his friends and had hung out with them along with Matt. According to Matt, they liked her but she didn’t know if that was just him being nice or what. She didn’t peg him to be the type of guy to lie about something like that. She had met his friends girlfriend’s except for Brian’s, but Gena had told her to give that one sometime since Val was her sister.

She looked to see a woman come in, which caught AJ a bit off guard. She put on a smile when she said, “Hello. Can I help you?” She stuffed her hands in her pockets and the dark haired woman smiled back.

“Are you AJ?” She asked.

“Yes and you are?”

The woman took off her sunglasses and looked around. “Michelle,” she told her, “Brian’s girlfriend.” She sighed and shook her head. “So you’re the one who’s been dating Matt,” she started, “I have to admit, you’re not what I expected.” AJ didn’t know whether or not she should take it as a compliment but she thought that she should remain undecided. She swallowed hard for a moment but didn’t say anything. “He seems really happy.”

“I try,” she said, not able to help herself. Michelle let out a small snort of laughter as she ran a hand through her hair.

“The girls seem to like you but I wanted you to know that you won’t win me over so easily,” she told her. Oh dear God. AJ wanted to roll her eyes but she didn’t. She didn’t know if winning over Michelle would be easy. She doubted it. AJ swallowed hard for a moment and nodded. “You’re not Val.” Ouch. That hurt. She watched Michelle put her sunglasses back on and turn to leave.

“With all due respect,” she started, “Wouldn’t you want him to be happy?” Michelle paused at the door and shook her head before leaving. AJ let out a small groan. Well that went over well. She rubbed her forehead for a moment and plopped down in a chair. She had a date with Matt later on. The last thing she needed was his ex’s sister giving her a hard time.

Oh boy.

Meanwhile…

Michelle got into her car and pulled out her cell phone. She dialed Brian’s number. She shook her head and started up her car. Pulling out of the small parking lot, she heard Brian pick up. “What’s up, babe?” He asked her. Michelle couldn’t help but smile but that wasn’t why she was calling.

“She isn’t anything I imagined,” she told him.

“You actually went to see her?”

“I had to know,” she said and readjusted her rearview mirror. She pulled her sunglasses back to rest on the top of her head and started back for her and Brian’s house.

“What’d you expect?” Brian asked. “For her to look like Val?”

“Honestly, yes,” she said. “I just can’t believe that… That he wants to forget her.” She could just imagine the look on Brian’s face when she said that to him. Oh hell, she hoped Matt wasn’t around during this conversation.

“I doubt he’ll forget her, babe,” he told her, “But I like AJ. She’s a rad ass chick. Just give her a chance.”

“I’m on my way back,” she told him. “When I get home… I want you to tell me everything you know about her.”

“Michelle…”

“Love you, bye.” She hung up and leaned back in her seat as she drove. There was something off about this girl. She brought up her hand and rubbed her forehead. She was going to find out what was with her before Matt got hurt. She knew that it wasn’t her job to make sure he was but she couldn’t help herself. She felt like she owed it to Val.