Will It Be Forever

Part Seven- Maybe There's Hope After All.

Business. That’s what he called it.

AJ just stared at Brian for a moment. She felt like she was just digging herself a hole that she wouldn’t be able to get out of without some consequence. Was this what she wanted? She winced at the thought but the money would help her. She sighed, feeling so greedy about it all, but it was money that made the world go round.

If only her mother could see her now… she could just picture the scorning that she would get from her. She bit her lower lip and rubbed her forehead as she looked at the piece of paper in front of her, telling her the address of the coffee shop that Matt would be at in thirty minutes. It was just down the road. That was the beauty of Huntington Beach, everything was so close.

She licked her lips and got up from the table. The bar was going to open in three hours, and she had time to kill. She grabbed her bag and headed out of the front door, locking the building behind her. Addeline sucked in a deep breath as she started down the road. Would he even want to see her? After the last incident, she thought that he was the crazy one.

He freaked out over nothing and now Brian wanted her, HER of all people, to make him happy.

She didn’t even know if she could do that.

-Time relapse-

Matt just wanted a Strawberry and Crème from Starbucks but when he saw her already in line, and she would be ahead of him. He just wanted to walk the other way. Or rather, run. Truthfully, he was embarrassed about how he acted the other night. He had talked about it to Zacky and his friend told him that he had overacted. Yeah, he could believe that. He sighed a bit and stuck his hands in his pockets before going into the line.

“Well it’s a small world…”

The dark haired beauty turned around to look at him. Her hazel eyes were staring at him for a moment before they narrowed slightly. Shit. She didn’t want to see him. He knew it. What the hell was he thinking? He should’ve just left or not said anything at all. AJ raised an eyebrow as she looked at him. “Well it is Starbucks,” she said back. Yeah, well, that was beside the point…

“What?” He asked, noting that she was staring at him.

“You were really rude to me,” she said, “I’m waiting for an apology.” Matt just looked at her and started laughing. Oh, he knew that she was serious but he didn’t feel like apologizing to her because he didn’t think that he had to. What was the point in it? What happened was the past…

“You never really know what can happen if you don’t settle things…”

Of course this would be the time that she wanted to talk to him. He ran a hand over his face and moved his sunglasses from his face. His eyebrows furrowed together for a moment and he let out a small sigh. “I’m sorry for how I acted,” he apologized. AJ grinned a bit as she put on a smile.

“Well thank you,” she replied back and he could almost detect the ‘It’s about time’ that was unspoken at the end.

Matt made a motion towards the counter. “You’re up,” he said. AJ turned around and he swore he saw her blush. He listened as she started to order her drink. Strawberries and Crème Blended… Same thing he was getting. Matt was taking it as a weird coincidence but something else was telling him to shake it off. “Make that two,” Matt told the clerk. The teenage boy nodded and AJ looked at him, questioningly. “I’ll pay,” he said to her.

“Why?” She asked.

Matt gave her a small smile. “It’s the least I could do after everything,” he told her. Their drinks were made and Matt paid for it. “I’m surprised to see you out of the bar.”

-AJ’s POV-

Everything was playing perfectly. Oh lord, she felt so guilty that she just wanted to spurt out telling him everything. She didn’t even have to do any work, so to speak. She handed him a straw and put her own in her drink. “I don’t live there you know,” she said, sipping her blended crème. “It takes a lot to own a business… It feels like I should live there but I don’t…”

Matt made a motion to one of the tables before he took a seat. “Well I couldn’t do it,” he said, “Too much work. I’m not the businessman type.” AJ smiled a bit at him as she sipped her drink again. She set it down on the table and leaned back in her seat. Some black strands fell over her face.

“I’m sure being the lead singer of a band wasn’t easy either,” she said carefully. Aj watched Matt stiffen for a moment. It looked like that was a subject that he didn’t want to touch on. She felt bad for bringing it up but breaking the ice, so to speak, would help him move on.

“That’s a different story,” he said. So they spent the rest of the hours AJ had until she had to open up the bar talking about different things, getting to know each other a little bit better than before. Every hour that had passed by AJ had thought that maybe she had been able to get him to relax, which was a good thing of course, because it was what she wanted in the first place.

She glanced at the clock on the wall and looked back at Matt. “I’ve gotta head to the bar. I have to open it in a few,” she told him as she got up from her seat. Matt looked up at her and nodded.

“Alright,” he said, getting up after her, “Hey AJ…”

She turned to look at him. “Yes?”

“Can I come see you tonight?” She couldn’t help but smile.

“I’d like that.”