Your brother is mean

Chapter One.

Norah was on her way to her best friend’s house. She and Nick had been friends since her first day in Wyckoff. Norah was 7 when she moved there, and even though Nick was only 5, they connected right away. Norah was now 18. She had just started her freshman year at NYU a few months ago, and it had cut into her time with Nick. But at the moment, she had a break for a week, and she was going to spend most of her time with Nick.

As Norah knocked on the door of the Jonas’ house, she prayed that Joe wasn’t home. Her and Joe had never gotten along. He was a year older than her, and they fought all the time. And sadly, Joe also went to NYU. Fortunately, she didn’t see him around there that often. Norah was lost in thought, until someone opened the door, startling her. And of course, it was the devil himself. When Norah saw him, her face instantly fell. And so did Joe’s.

“Gabriella.” He said, with a disgusted look on his face. Norah’s name was in fact Gabriella Norah Adams. But she liked Norah better, so everyone called her that. Everyone, except for Joe.

“Joseph.” She replied. “Can I come in?”

“No.” he said flatly. And then he closed the door.

Norah was shocked, even though she could have expected it. She knocked on the door again. Joe opened with an aggravated expression on his face.

“What do you want?” he asked her.

“I want to come inside so I can see my best friend.” Norah answered.

“He’s not here.” Joe said, and closed the door again.

Norah sighed, and knocked again.

“What?” Joe said, with an angry expression on his face.

“I know he’s here. Just let me in.” She told him.

Joe opened his mouth and was about to say something, when Nick came down the stairs.

“Norah, you’re here!” he said. He came up to her and gave her a bear hug. “Joe didn’t give you too much trouble, did he?” he asked her.

“Oh, no. He just closed the door in my face. Twice.” She said, while glaring at Joe.

“Joe!” Nick yelled.

“What? Nobody told me she was coming. I don’t let people in when they’re not invited.” Joe answered.

“Joe, I did tell you she was coming.”

“No you didn’t. You said Norah was coming. Her name’s Gabriella.” Joe said, smirking.

Norah rolled her eyes, and went up to Nick’s room, dragging him by his arm.

“Come on, Nick. I don’t want to be in the same room as Mr. Thinks-He’s-So-Funny.”

“Hey!” Joe yelled after them. “I’m hilarious!”

At this point, Frankie walked into the hallway. He gave Joe a weird look.

“Joe, were you talking to yourself again?” he asked.

--

“So how’s everything going at college?” Nick asked Norah.

Norah smiled. “It’s good. A lot of work, however. But so far it’s manageable.” She replied. “The only negative is that I’ve got less time to spend with you. How are you?”

“I’m fine. High school is still the same.” He answered.

“And Lilly?” Norah asked. Nick and Lilly had been dating for a little over a year now. At the mention of her name, Nick’s face brightened.

“Great. Everything’s great with Lilly. I told her I love her yesterday.” He said.

“Awww.. Nicky! That’s so cute.” Norah said. “Wait. She did say it back, right?”

“Yeah.. she said it back.” Nick’s smile grew.

Nick and Norah just sat there in silence for a while, enjoying each other’s company.

Kevin’s coming home tomorrow.” Nick said, softly. Kevin was at college in California.

“Oh.” Norah said. “You can come hide out at my place if you want.”

Nick sighed. “No. Joe will need me here.” He replied.

“Ok.” She said. “But if you change your mind, the offer still stands.”

“He’s bringing Sky.” Nick said.

“Here? In your house?” Norah asked, shocked. “I thought he’d know better than that.”

“Yeah, so did I.” Nick said. After that, the room grew silent again.

Five minutes later, there was a knock on the door.

“Come in.” Nick said. The door opened to reveal Frankie.

“Mommy said to come get you for dinner.” He said.

“Okay, Frankie. We’ll be right there.” Nick answered.

Norah and Nick followed Frankie to the dining room. Denise, Paul and Joe were already there.

“Finally!” Joe said. “I’m starving.”

“Joseph. Don’t be so impatient.” His mother said, while Nick and Norah took their seat.

“Norah, dear. How’s school?” she asked her.

“Oh, it’s great Mrs. Jonas. It’s still a bit new, though.” She answered.

“Oh, it will get better. When Joe was in his first year there, he used to get lost all the time. It took him a whole year to find his way around the place.” Denise said.

Norah looked at Joe and smirked. She could imagine him walking through campus, completely lost. Joe glared back at her.

“And how many times do I have to tell you to call me Denise?” she continued.

“I’m sorry. I forgot.” Norah said.

“Couchkissasscough” Joe said.

“Joseph Adam Jonas!” his father scolded. “I do not want that kind of language at my dinner table.”

“I’m sorry, dad.” Joe said, looking at his plate.

“I’m not the one you have to apologize to.” Paul answered.

“I’m sorry, Gabriella.” He said.

“It’s Norah.” She answered, glaring at him.

Denise sighed. “Why can’t you two just get along? It’s been eleven years. It’s such a stupid thing to still fight over it.” She said.

--

Flashback - November 1997

Norah had just moved to Wyckoff with her parents and her two brothers. While they were unpacking, Norah asked her mother if she could ride her bike through the neighborhood.

“Okay, sweetie. But don’t go to far.” Her mother told her.

“I won’t.” she replied.

Norah had just learned to ride a bike, so it still went a little difficult. She was driving around the neighborhood, taking in her new surroundings. She wasn’t paying attention to where she was going, until she suddenly crashed into something and fell on the ground. She looked up to see what she had hit, and saw a boy who looked around her age. He was lying on the ground as well, with his bike next to him.

“Ow! Look what you did! Can’t you watch where you’re going?” he said. “Idiot!”

“I’m not an idiot!” she replied, about to cry.

“Yes, you are.” The boy said. “You look like one, anyway.”

“I do not!”

“Oh, are you going to cry now?” the boy said. While he got of the ground and took a hold of his bike. “You’re such a baby.” He said before taking off.

Norah was still on the ground. Then she noticed another boy standing there.

“I’m sorry about my brother.” He said. He came and helped her up. “I’m Nick.”

“I’m Norah. Your brother is mean.” She told him.

“He’s not always mean. Only to girls. Kevin told us girls are icky.” He said.

“Who’s Kevin?” Norah asked.

“He’s my other brother. And the one who you just met was Joe.”

“Well, I don’t like Joe.” She said. “But I like you.”

Nick smiled. “Will you be my friend?” he asked her.

“Yes!” she said, excited that she had already made a friend on her first day.

“Oh! You’re bleeding!” Nick said, and he pointed at her knee.

That was the beginning of Norah and Nick’s friendship, and the reason Joe and Norah didn’t get along.


--

Present time - 2008

“It’s not a stupid thing.” Joe said. “She should have watched where she was going.”

Norah rolled her eyes. She knew she would never get along with Joe. They just weren’t meant to be friends.
♠ ♠ ♠
New story! Tell me what you think?
I know I went a little overboard with the hyperlinks, but at least now you know what everyone looks like. Although you probably already know what the Jonas boys look like.
Leave me comments? And feel free to make me a banner for the story xD