Your brother is mean

Chapter Five.

Norah hadn’t been able to pay attention in class all day. All she could think about was her date with Ryan, and what was going to happen. She couldn’t wait for the day and the date to be over. She got home and got dressed just in time for when Ryan got there. He hated when she was late.

Norah opened the door for Ryan. He smiled as he saw her. “Hey babe.” He said. Norah instantly felt uncomfortable.

“Um, hi Ryan.” Ryan leaned over and wanted to kiss her, but Norah turned her cheek and gave him a hug instead.

“So, where are we going?” Norah asked.

“Actually, I brought take-out.” He said, and he took the food from it’s place behind him. “Chinese, your favorite.” He said, smiling. Norah hated Chinese food. And she didn’t really want to be alone with Ryan.

“Oh, well.. come in then. I’ll go set the table.” She said.

“So, are your brothers home?” Ryan asked her.

“No, they’re not.” She saw his face light up at her answer. “But, they could come home any minute.” She lied.

Norah managed to get through the dinner without much trouble until Ryan decided it was time to ruin things.

“I think we should get back together.” He said.

Norah nearly choked on her food. “I don’t think so.” She said, not looking at him.

“Oh, I’m sorry.” He said. “Did I make it seem like you have a choice?”

Norah looked at him, frightened.

“Well, you don’t. We’re back together, and that’s final.” He said.

“No –“

“NO?” Ryan yelled, and he got up from the table, coming closer to Norah. “Well, you know what Norah? You’ve got two choices here. Either you’re my girlfriend again, or I’ll break Nicky’s pretty little face, got it?”

“No.. no! Please, Nick’s got nothing to do with this.” She said, trying not to cry. She would never forgive herself if something happened to Nick because of her.

“Well, then I guess you know what you’ve got to do. Don’t you, Norah?” he asked her.

She sniffled. “Yes.” She whispered.

“You’ll be my girlfriend again?” he asked, kissing her on the cheek.

“Yes.” She said, barely audible.

He laughed an evil laugh.

At this point, Jay came home.

“Norah? Where are you?” he yelled through the house.

“Kitchen.” She shouted back, trying to get rid of the tears.

“You’ll never believe what happened today.” Jay started telling as he walked towards the kitchen. “Joe totally – oh, Ryan.” He gave Norah a confused look.

“Hey, Jay.” Ryan said. “Long time no see.”

“Yeah.” Jay said, uneasy. “So, um, what brings you here?”

Ryan looked at Norah. “Why don’t you tell him, Norah?” he said.

“Tell me what?” Jay asked.

“Ryan and I are back together.” Norah said quietly, looking at the floor.

“Oh.” Jay said. “That’s… unexpected.”

“So, what were you saying?” Ryan asked.

“Huh?” Jay said.

“You were saying something about not believing what happened today and that Joe guy.” Ryan said.

“Oh, yeah. Joe ran his new car into a tree.” Jay said, chuckling at the end of his sentence.

Norah didn’t say anything, she was still shaken up from the events of that evening.

“Wow. Those Jonas kids are really something else, huh? If they’re not careful, one of these days, one of them is going to get hurt.” His comment was aimed at Norah.

Jay sensed the uneasiness in the room. “Well, anyway, I’m just going to go up to my room.” He said. “Eli’s going to be home in about ten minutes, and you know he doesn’t like it when you have boys over unannounced.”

Norah was thankful that she now had an excuse to get Ryan out of the house. As soon as Jay left the kitchen, she walked Ryan to the door.

“Bye, Norah.” He said. “I’ll talk to you tomorrow.”

He leaned down and kissed her. Norah wanted to puke.

--

It had been a week since Norah and Ryan got back together, and he had already hit her three times. Ryan had forbidden her to see Nick, and although Norah was scared to death of him, that was one thing she couldn’t do. So, she still hung out with Nick in secret, like they were doing at the moment in the Jonas living room.

“Norah, I’ve barely seen you this week.” Nick said.

“Be glad.” Joe, who was also in the living room, said. “The less time she’s here, the better.”
Norah didn’t respond.

“What’s the matter? Cat got your tongue?” Joe said.

She remained silent.

“Oh, come on. You’re no fun when you don’t throw petty little insults back at me.” He said.

“Norah, are you okay?” Nick asked her.

For a moment, she wanted to tell Nick everything. But she couldn’t. Ryan would hurt her if he found out. And worse, he would hurt Nick.

“I’m fine.” She said. “I’m just a bit tired.”

“Okay.” Nick said. “But if something was wrong, you would tell me, right?”

She hated lying to him. “Yeah, of course.” She said.

Twenty minutes later, the front door opened.

“Who’s that?” Nick said.

“I don’t know. Mom, dad and Frankie are in Texas for the weekend.” Joe replied.

They looked at each other worriedly. Norah was terrified – what if it was Ryan.

Then, the mystery person walked into the living room.

“Kevin?” Nick said. “What are you doing here?”

It was then that Norah took in Kevin’s appearance. He looked like he hadn’t slept, or showered in a few days, and it was obvious he had been crying.

“You were right.” He said. “You were right about everything.” He sniffled, when the tears started coming again. “She’s just like Natalie.”

“What happened?” Nick asked.

“She cheated on me.”

Joe wanted nothing more than to yell at him, and say ‘I told you so’. He wanted to say that that was what happened when you didn’t listen to your brother and betrayed him. He wanted to be mad at Kevin, but he couldn’t. He knew the pain Kevin was feeling right now, and he didn’t want his brother to have to go through it. So Joe did the only thing he could do. He got up from his seat, and hugged Kevin, letting him cry in his arms.

“I’m sorry.” Kevin said. “I’m so sorry.”

“Shh.. It’s okay.” Joe said. “I forgive you.”

They stood there for a few minutes, until a violent knock on the door interrupted them.

Norah knew it had to be Ryan.

Joe went up to the door and opened it. Norah was right, it was Ryan. “Is Norah here?” he asked.

Norah hoped Joe would say no.

“No, Norah’s not here.” She heard him say. She breathed a sigh of relief. “But Gabriella is.” Oh, shit.

Ryan pushed Joe out of the way, and entered the house. “Norah, we’re leaving.” He said.

“I have to go.” She said to Nick. Norah didn’t want to make Ryan any more angry then he already was, so she left without saying anything else.

On his way out, Ryan glared at Nick one last time.

“What’s with that dude?” Norah heard Joe say through a closed door.

Ryan didn’t say anything in the short car ride from the Jonas house to her house. And he didn’t say anything when they got inside either. He let his fists do the talking.

--

A few hours later, Norah woke up on her bathroom floor. She could barely move. Her body hurt all over, and she was bleeding profusely from her head. She started to dose off again, when she heard a voice.

“Gabriella!?” There was only one person who called her that, and she didn’t want Joe to see her like this. She decided not to answer, and hoped he would go away. But he didn’t, she heard his footsteps coming up the stairs.

“I know you’re here, Gabriella.” He said. “I know you’re hiding from me, but I just came to get that money for my iPod, remember?”

Norah suddenly felt a stab of pain go through her body, and whimpered. Joe heard her. His footsteps got closer, and then the bathroom door opened.

“Oh my God.” She heard him say. “What happened?” She felt him sit down besides her, and wipe the hair from her face.

The front door opened again. “Norah! Are you home?” It was Eli.

“ELI!” Joe yelled. “Up here! Come quick!”

Norah heard Eli’s footsteps come up the stairs. She felt weaker by the minute.

“Norah?” she heard Eli’s panicked voice. “What happened?” he asked Joe.

“I don’t know. I found her like this.” He said. “I don’t know.”

“Call an ambulance.” Eli said. Joe immediately took his cell phone out and made the call.

“No.” Norah said, barely audible. “I don’t want to go to hospital.”

“Norah, you have to.” Eli said. “You’re hurt really bad.”

She didn’t have the strength to argue with him.

“Norah, who did this? What happened?” Joe asked. It was the first time he had ever called her Norah.

Norah didn’t say anything.

“Please, you have to tell us what happened.” He said.

Norah managed to utter one more word before she slipped into unconsciousness.

“Ryan.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow. So much drama in one chapter! I know it's a lot happening in one chapter, and the story is going really fast, I just have a tendency to only write the important stuff, and leave out all the rest.

Anyway, what will happen next? Will Norah be okay? What will happen to Ryan? Will Joe ever get the money for his iPod? Comment and find out!