Sequel: Forget All You Know

The Way You Make Me Feel

Three Coins

Tom's P.O.V.

"Can we go to the Trevi Fountain?" Lila asked one night.

Yeah, we were in Rome. I figured that I'd be romantic and surprise her with a trip to Rome for a week. The trip had been amazing. We did everything that there was to do in Rome. We went to the Coliseum, the Spanish Steps, and even the Catacombs (even though Lila was a bit freaked out by those). I could honestly say that it had been the best trip of my life.

"Why?" I asked with a groan, not really wanting to go there. "It's just a fountain!"

"Please?" Lila begged, giving me that pout that I couldn't resist. "It's our last night here and I still haven't gotten to see it."

"Fine. But, you owe me, Paterson," I said reluctantly as I took hold of her hand and led her out of the restaurant we were in. We walked down the cobblestone streets in a comfortable silence, enjoying the feeling of being alone with just each other. Our hands were clasped tightly and our fingers were laced together as a symbol to show the world that we were in love.

"Look at how pretty it is," Lila squealed as she pointed to the fountain in excitement. I had to admit, it was one of the nicest fountains I'd ever seen. The lights illuminated up onto the numerous statues in such a way that it almost gave them a lifelike quality about them that one wouldn't notice during the day.

"It's not that terrible," I said, trying to hide the fact that I thought it was just as nice as she did.

"I'm gonna throw two coins in! Maybe that'll be luckier!" Lila said excitedly as she began rummaging through her purse for some coins.

"What are you doing?" I asked as Lila took out a couple of coins to throw into the Trevi Fountain. I quickly grabbed her hand and took the coins in fear that she'd throw them in.

"Well, I wanted to throw those two coins into the fountain," she said matter-of-factly as she placed her hands on her hips. I rolled my eyes and shook my head as she glared at me.

"You can't throw two coins in," I said as her eyebrows pulled together.

"Why not?"

"If you throw in two coins, that means you're going to have a new relationship. And we don't want that, now do we?" I asked as I put three coins in her hand.

"I didn't know that," she said as I raised my eyebrows at her.

"You obviously don't know a lot about this fountain," I said with a smile. "Do you even know how you're supposed to throw it in?"

"Would it be bad to say 'no'?" she asked as I smiled at her.

"You're supposed to close your eyes and throw the coins over your left shoulder with your right hand and into the fountain," I said as she sighed and closed her eyes.

"God, you're so picky," Lila said as she threw the three coins over her left shoulder. Her eyes stayed closed for a moment, taking in the serene moment. But, when she opened them, I was down on one knee.

"Three coins means marriage," I said as I held up a sparkling diamond ring that was in my hand. The lights from the fountain illuminated against her pale skin in an angelic way, almost making her seem as if she was from Heaven. It was one of those romantic settings that you rarely ever find, but when you do, it makes you stop and wonder if that certain someone is viewing it all just like you are.

"Oh my God," she said as her hand flew up to cover her mouth while the other wiped a couple of stray tears. I could feel my heart beat fast in anticipation, wondering if this was all a mistake. I mean, she only told me that she loved me a few days ago. Was this all too soon? Sure, I'd picked out the ring a couple of days after we started dating, but maybe she wasn't ready.

"Lila, will you marry me?" I asked with a smile. She didn't even try and conceal the tears anymore. They just cascaded down her face, one after another into a pool that would eventually drown her in bliss.

"You cheated," she said while a giggle escaped her lips.

"What?"

"You cheated," Lila repeated, her tears now stopping.

"I'm trying to be romantic here!" I exclaimed as Lila began to laugh some more. I let my hand drag itself over the surface of my face as I groaned, annoyed that this wasn't turning out how I'd imagined it would.

"But, you put three coins in my hand, knowing that if I threw them in, I'd have to get married. So, you proposed, because you knew I would say 'yes' because I threw the three coins in the fountain," Lila said matter-of-factly. "So, you cheated."

"Lila, I'm down on one knee with an engagement ring in my hand and I'm pretty sure that people are picking up on the fact that you haven't given me an answer yet, which is making me feel extremely awkward," I said as I glanced around at the people who were staring at us. "Should I just assume that this is a 'no'?"

"Well, you should never assume anything," Lila said with a soft smile as I felt my heart skip a thousand and one beats.

"So, is that a 'yes'?" I asked hopefully, a large grin spreading across my face like butter would to bread.

"Now you're just assuming again," she said as my smile faded and I looked around at the people who were now not even trying to conceal the fact that they were staring.

"Jesus Christ," I muttered under my breath. "Just give me a bloody answer!"

"Yes," Lila said simply as she took the ring from my hand and placed it on her finger. "Thanks for the ring."

"You're a pain in the ass, Paterson," I said as I stood up.

"You shouldn't talk about your fiancee that way. You've got me for the rest of your life, sweets," she said, making me suddenly realize that I would be marrying her. I was so annoyed with the fact that she was teasing me, that I didn't even realize that we were engaged! But, when I did realize, I'd never felt happier.

"Oh my God," I said with wide eyes. "We're getting married!"

"You didn't realize this before you proposed to me?" Lila asked while she laughed some more at me. I didn't even bother responding, though. I instantly attached my lips to hers with every ounce of passion I had in me. I even threw in that whole cliche scene where the guy picks up the girl and spins her around while they kissed.

"I told you I'd propose to you," I said once I pulled away.

"And I told you I'd say 'yes'."
♠ ♠ ♠
I have to say, I thought that this was very cute.
The proposal is exactly how much cousin proposed to his fiancee. When he was telling me about it, I thought it was really funny how she was kind of ruining the romantic moment. So, I added it to the story.
Hope you liked it!