Never Want to Let You Go

Marry Me?

“Oh, let’s check out that store!” Joe pointed to a store shortly ahead of us, a smile showing widely on his face. He reminded me so much of a little kid; hurrying from one store to another.

And he had been that way all day; dragging me in and out of stores. But I definitely didn’t mind, as long as I was with him, I’d do anything.

“Which store?” I glanced up, trying to recognize what store he was talking about. I noticed two stores in front of us. “A jewelry store?” I asked, pretty sure he meant that as opposed to the Vitamin World right next to it.

“Yeah,” he replied, directing us towards the store.

“No, no, no, no, no,” I told him, stopping and planting my feet firmly on the ground. “We can’t go into a jewelry store.”

“Why not?” He stopped in front of me, staring at me intently.

“Because then you’re going to want to buy me something,” I stated honestly, knowing him all too well. “And everything in there is way too expensive.”

He sighed. “I promise I won’t buy you anything while we’re in there,” he looked at me, his eyes pleading.

“Nope,” I shook my head. “You’ll just come back later and buy it. You’ll see me eye something and then buy it for me. I don’t want you to do that.”

“Why not?” He asked. “What’s wrong with me buying you gifts?”

“Because I’m not materialistic,” I replied. “I don’t need you to buy me expensive things to make me feel loved. I feel guilty if you buy me something with an expensive price tag.”

His eyes searched mine a moment before he spoke again. “I promise I won’t buy you anything while we’re in there and I promise that I won’t come back and buy you anything,” he bargained, his eyes bearing into mine.

I sighed heavily. “Fine,” I huffed as I gave in. There was no use fighting a losing battle.

“Thank you,” he planted a kiss on my cheek before guiding me into the store, immediately being greeted by a case full of sparkling diamonds.

“Wow,” I muttered, stunned as we stood in front of gorgeous diamond necklaces. “Just one of those necklaces alone is probably more expensive than my house.”

Joe chuckled. “They are pretty nice.”

We observed the sparkling necklaces for a moment before he spoke again. “The heart one in the middle reminds me of you,” he told me softly as he pointed to a diamond heart necklace hanging on a gold chain. “I could see you wearing it.”

I squinted my eyes at him. “Don’t try to sweet talk me into a necklace,” I muttered firmly before we traveled down a few cases.

“Damn,” I heard him chuckle before he followed me.

“Wow,” I breathed as we reached a case full of diamond rings. ‘Wow’ was probably going to be a common word in that store. “Look at those.”

“Damn,” Joe stared. “Wow.”

“Is there any type of ring in particular that you’re looking for?” A nice lady asked from behind the case.

I jerked my head up to look at her; a little startled by her presence. I hadn’t realized that a store clerk had been near us “Oh no, we’re just looking,” I offered her a smile

“Well, might I suggest the Michelangelo collection over here?” She directed us towards another case. “Their engagement rings tend to be more trendier for a young couple like you two.”

My eyes widened. Engagement rings?

Joe nudged my side before bowing his head down to look at the rings. “Wow, these are beautiful.”

“Aren’t they?” The lady exclaimed excitedly.

I took a deep breath before staring down at the rings. “Yeah, they are,” I muttered, my mind turning into overdrive.

It was scary looking at engagement rings with Joe. Sure, I loved him, but I was in no way ready for marriage. Or even engagement.

A thought jumped into my mind. Had Joe planned this? Had he intentionally dragged me in here so he could propose?

“Which one do you like the most?” He asked, a gentle smile on his face.

I tore my eyes away from him and looked at the sparkling rings, unsure of what to think of them let alone which one was my favorite.

“Just pick one,” he replied. “Just for fun.”

I didn’t necessarily know if this was all really ‘just for fun’ but a small ring in the corner of the case caught my eye.

“That one,” I pointed to it. It was a silver ring that had three princess cut diamonds on it. It was simply perfect. The rest of the rings surrounding it were too flashy and extravagant, this one was plain and simple.

“Really?” Joe asked, eyebrows raised.

“Yeah,” I glanced at him. “It’s simple; I like simple.”

A smile slowly crept across his face. “I thought it was the perfect one, too.”

My smile widened. Somehow I found myself smiling in this awkward, weird moment. But we were looking at expensive, diamond engagement rings; what girl wouldn’t be smiling?

“Would you like to try it on?” The lady asked, an excited glint in her eyes at the thought of possibly selling a ring.

“Oh, I-“ I began nervously, but was cut off by Joe.

“She would love to try it on,” he told the lady with an amused smile.

I sent a glare in his direction as the lady opened the case slowly and pulled out the diamond ring.

This was putting the weirdness over the top. Looking was one thing, but trying it on?

Joe watched my frightened face as he grabbed the ring from the lady and pulled my hand up.

“It’s just a ring,” he whispered as he slid it onto my shaking left ring finger. “It’s of no significance if a certain question isn’t asked with it.”

“Are you going to ask that certain question?” I asked as my heart stopped beating for the entire time that it took for him to answer me.

“No,” he smiled. “Well, not yet at least.”

I couldn’t help but smile as I let out a deep breath.

I admired the ring on my finger. It definitely was a beautiful ring, simple, but nonetheless beautiful, and it fit perfectly on my finger.

I knew someday that it would feel one hundred percent right having Joe slide a beautiful engagement ring on my finger, but at that moment, it was a little too early for me.

“So, is that the one?” The lady asked, causing Joe and me to look up from the ring.

“Uh,” I began. “No,” I told her before the sliding the ring off and handing it back to her.

“How could it not be?” She asked in astonishment. “You gave it the look.”

“The look?” I questioned.

“Yeah, it’s the look that every girl gets when she finds the perfect engagement ring,” she told us. “You see, I’ve been working here for over thirty years and have watched plenty of ladies pick out engagement rings. And when they find the perfect one, they give it the look that you just gave that ring.”

“Oh,” I muttered. “Well, as perfect as that ring is, I’m not ready to get engaged,” I told her honestly, watching as her eyebrows furrowed upward.

“What do you mean you’re not ready to get engaged?” She asked, her voice shocked. “You two look perfect for each other!”

“We never said we weren’t perfect for each other,” Joe stepped in. “We’re just not ready,” he smiled kindly at the lady. “Thank you for all your help, though. We appreciate it.”

“Sure thing,” she smiled at us. “When you two decide that you do want to get married, you know where to come for the ring!”

Joe and I smiled politely at her before quickly exiting the store. I think we both may have been overwhelmed by the experience. At least, I was.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hmmm...is Joe up to something??

...or not??

Hehe.

I figured it was about time I updated. =)
Sorry for the wait!

And just so you guys know, I absolutely love the comments you leave me! They make me smile! =)

THANK YOU for reading!!!