Never Want to Let You Go

Whisked Away

KATY'S POV

“What’s going on, Rita?” I asked her as we were crawling into bed later that night. Joe had come back from the mall on top of the world and she had come back with hesitation.

“What do you mean what’s going on?’ She retorted.

“You’ve just been acting different,” I replied with a shrug of my shoulders. “You and Joe came back with opposite moods and it just seemed odd.”

“Oh, it’s nothing,” she replied quickly. “I’m just not used to shopping with him. He’s pretty exhausting,” she paused. “And it’s really hard to keep him focused,” she mumbled the last part, failing to make eye contact with me.

I fully understood what she meant, but I also felt like she was still hiding something. I didn’t want to pry, though.

“Were you able to find Nick a gift?” I asked, trying to lighten the subject.

“Nah, I just couldn’t find anything that I thought would work,” she responded unenthusiastically.

“Don’t worry, you’ve still got time,” I reassured her. “You’re making me look bad, though. Joe’s birthday is first and I haven’t even thought about a gift,” I chuckled.

Rita smiled. “Hopefully nothing happens too soon.”

I was going to ask what that meant, but was interrupted by her phone going off.

Instead, I sunk into my bed, letting my thoughts be overcome by dreams.

--

“So, I was thinking,” Joe began as we took a stroll down the street, on our way to a coffee shop.

“Don’t hurt yourself,” I piped in.

He rolled his eyes playfully, intentionally bumping into me as we walked. “I was thinking that when we get to North Carolina, we should just take a trip, you and me.”

I pondered the thought with a nod of my head. Like I would say no?

“Since August is going to be crazy with the release of our new CD,” he began.

“The CD that I can’t hear any songs from,” I interrupted.

He chuckled with a smile. “Yes, that one. And since I know North Carolina won’t be easy for you because your mom is there and stuff,” he continued, sounding a bit reserved because he knew it was a touchy subject.

I nodded my head once again. It didn’t really bother me that he mentioned it; it was the truth.

“My family has a cabin near where the concert is and I thought it would be nice to get away,” he finished.

I pretended to sigh heavily, like the idea was exhausting. “I suppose I can allow you to whisk me away.”

“Hopefully it’s not too much of a burden,” he grinned as he wrapped an arm around me, giving me a gentle squeeze.

“I think it just might be,” I stated melodramatically.

He chuckled as he pulled the coffee shop door open for me. “Decaf mocha no-whip?” He asked once we had stepped through the threshold.

“Yessir,” I chimed as I followed him to the counter.

Things felt really good.

I just hoped that everything would stay good.
♠ ♠ ♠
I don't know if anyone is out there and will see this, but over the past 6 or so years, it has bothered me that I left this story unfinished. I have known the ending this whole time (and have most of it written), but I feel like Jaty's story needs to be out in the universe for the world to read.

I have read back through all of the chapters and the prequels and have been thoroughly entertained. I can definitely see some of my teenage-self influence in there. But that's what is fun about this! It's a chance to see how I have matured with my writing over time.

I have the remainder of the story mostly finished (I just need to add some details here and there) so I will post it all ASAP. At some point, it will jump into the future, though, and exist in a more current time. But for now, there is much left to the teenage Jaty story.

If there is anyone left out there reading this, THANK YOU! This is for you.