Because You Said Forever

Part 11

Damien and I are standing in my bathroom with the door locked.

"Shit, he got your nose, too?" Damien asks, and I realize my nose has started bleeding again.

"That was from earlier today," I tell him. "I tried to stand up for myself and I hit him so he punched me." Damien's face turns softer, and he gazes at me apologetically.

"Joe's a bastard," he says grudgingly.

"That's exactly what I told him." I murmur, the movement of my jaw making my nose throb a bit. I sit down on the toilet and increase the pressure of the ice on my eye slightly.

"Let me see," Damien says and I take the ice away from my eye slowly. Damien winces and I know my face must look pretty bad.

"You have a pretty bad black eye," he says softly. "But I think you'll be okay. I can't beleive Joe would do that to you."

I press the ice against my eye again. "He's pretty strong."

"Or he's just an asshole that likes to hurt anyone weaker than him," Damien says pointedly. I nod, feeling warm tears roll out of my eye and it soothes the bruise a little. "Do you want to come home with me?" he asks kindly. I nod slowly, standing up off the toilet and taking the ice away from my eye, since it isn't doing much anymore.

Damien helps me stand up and I cling to him as he opens then door, half expecting Joe to attack me when he sees me. But he's no where in sight. "Do you want me to talk to him?" Damien asks, and I shrug, stepping away from him a little. "I will. Stay in the bathroom if you feel safe there," he says softly, and I take his advice, but I listen to ther conversation. Damien must have found him because I hear their voices through the thin door.

"You know, this is why I left you," is what I think Damien says - his voice is almost too distant to decipher. "What the hell have you done to that boy?"

"I walked into the room and I saw him kissing you!"

"So you punched him. Honestly, Joe, do you have to be such an ass all the time? Now you know how Nick and I felt when you'd go see someone. You're supposed to love him, Joe. He was your boyfriend and he's your family." he pauses. "It doesn't even matter. You should stop freeloading on him and get your own place. I'm taking Nick to my house tonight so you can see what it's like to spend the night alone."

I hear his footsteps approaching the bathroom and he opens the door while I step back. I don't look at Joe as I follow Damien out the door.