Because You Said Forever

Part 24

The day after that, everything is forgotten. I sleep in my own room, but in the morning Joe makes breakfast and we act as if nothing happened. That’s how it always is.

The next week passes by with no real problems, other than some tension left over from the straightener incident. He’s making me pay him back the eighty dollars, but he hasn’t gone out. He cuddles with me on the couch, running his hand through my curls as we watch old Disney movies late at night, making spaghetti together, kissing me forgivingly after I spill sauce all over the floor, and for a few days he’s everything I want in a partner. But I know Joe’s kindness won’t last long. It never does.

Sitting on my bed, I stare blankly around the room. I keep thinking about something, something I’ve been planning on doing for the past year, but the thought of it scares me. Joe’s still asleep in his room.

After a long time of contemplating it, I take a deep breath and stand up off the bed. I kick open my closet door and yank out a backpack. I’m not sure about this yet, but something in my heart is telling me what to do. With a sigh, I pull the backpack into the middle of the room. I’ve never tried to walk out on Joe before…

I have an idea of where I’m going. With a heavy heart, I pack everything into the bag that’s essential.

When I’m almost finished, I hear Joe’s bedroom door open across the hall. I push the bag into a corner and stand up, shuffling into the adjoined bathroom, so I can take a shower and calm my nerves….

***

When Joe asks me if I want to go out to dinner that night, my stomach flips. I don’t know how to tell him that I’m leaving him. I politely decline the offer and he asks if anything’s bothering me.

“No, I’m fine,” I lie as I shake my head with an awkward smile. For a split second, when Joe kisses me, I regret leaving him.

***

I’ve counted on Joe not being home when I leave. And at the moment, he isn’t. I bite my lip as I pack the last few items into the backpack and zip it up with a quick motion. I’ll let Joe keep the apartment. I’ve written him a note that I’m holding in my hand, and I’ll leave it in the kitchen. I tremble slightly as I look down at my scrawled handwriting.


Joe,
I can’t take it anymore. I’m sorry, but you’re too much. I’m sick of always being scared of you and being pushed around and cheated on. I can’t take your mood swings anymore – one night you’ll hate me, one night you’ll love me, and then you’ll hate me again. This isn’t a suicide note, but you won’t be seeing me again. I should have done this two years ago. I’m done. And unlike you, I’m actually sorry.
-Nick J


I read the note over twice and fold it in half carefully, scribbling Joe’s name on the outside. “Bye, Joe,” I whisper to myself, dragging my feet out of my room. With the backpack over my shoulder, I walk slowly through the hall, heading for Joe’s room to give him the note.

I do a double take and almost fall over when Joe walks right out the door in front of me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Nick's finally leaving!
what do you think Joe will do?
Character opinions? =)