Because You Said Forever

Part 05

Nick's usually pretty quiet. He doesn't say much unless I talk to him or something sparks his interest, which I don't mind because I don't like talking. So days at the apartment are usually pretty quiet.

"Wanna see a movie tonight?" I ask. I'm lying on top of him on the bed, propping myself up on my elbows on either side of his chest.

"Don't you have a date tonight?" he asks smartly, and I flick him a glare but brush off the comment.

"Nope, it's all you tonight."

"I guess," he mutters, shrugging. "Do you want to invite Damien?" he asks, with an attitude. We've already had this argument, multiple times. And it drives me crazy when he gives me that

I glare at him. "Maybe I do. I dont have to not go to his house, you know. I could just leave. Last night was fun." I see anger, regret and hurt flash across Nick's face all at once, but after that it's just a bit of sadness and hurt. For a moment I think he'll make some angry outburst, but I know he's never brave enough to confront me.

"Sometimes I think you hate me," he whispers, pushing up against my chest with his hands to try to get me off him.

"Hate you? I'm the only one that doesn't hate you," I spit harshly, putting all my weight against his arms to overpower him. I make my tone a bit softer. "No one else would ever love you, and we both know that, so you need to deal." I narrow my eyes and spit out the words, hovering just above his face. I see his bottom lip quiver and his eyes glaze over. Sometimes I hate myself for being so mean to him, but often I love having the power over him, knowing he wouldn't leave me. "So," I lift back up. "Do. You want. To see. A movie?"

"I guess so," he sniffles.

"Alright. And, you know what? I'm going to take your advice and bring Damien along."

That one hits home. Nick shuts his eyes breifly, and when he opens them they're wet and shiny. He takes a quivvery breath and bobs his head. I lift up off him and stand up onto the floor. I urge him up off the couch and he sits up and swings his legs over. "Stop crying," I mutter, thumbing away a tear below his eye.

"I don't want to go anymore," Nick sniffles. He pushes me aside and runs to the door on the other side of the lobby, disappearing into his room.