I Won't Let Them Take You

You look so good in blue.

The cold wind brushed through her bright red hair. The temperature was decreasing dramatically and the sun seemed to hide beyond the horizon. The bench seat was cold to the touch but she didn’t mind, he wasn’t going to be long. Or at least she thought. She opened her phone to see she had a new voice mail. She was confused as to why she had not heard it, but then again it’s hard to hear things when you are crying. She decided to listen to it, maybe he had a good excuse.

“One new message. Sent today at 8:34 p.m.” Rang the voicemail woman.

“Hey babe. Sorry I’m late. I’ll be there soon. Promise. I love you.” He said in almost a caring tone.

This was a surprise to her. No yelling or foul language. Maybe he had changed, but she doubted it. He was the reason for her tears and she couldn’t stand it. He had promised her that he would be there, but where was he? Probably off with that girl she had seen him with earlier. She was not in the mood to talk to him, let alone see him. She had to get away. The thought of what could happen plagued her mind, but the thought of what did happen plagued her mind even more. That was her past. It was behind her now. She couldn’t believe it had almost been a year since ‘the incident’ and it was always on her mind. He begged her forgiveness, but she never felt the same about him. There was something untrustworthy about him. She was scared to tell him, scared for her life. She couldn’t live any longer with him, but scared to live without him. She touched her arm and flinched at the touch. It was fresh, the newest. She needed to end this, but where would she go? This thought caught her in a trance, which to her felt like a minute or two. It was his car horn that woke her. He had an irritated look on his face. What did she do this time?

“Get in the car!” He demanded.

She followed his instruction and got in silently making sure not to look at him. Once she was in he sped off in a great rage. The car ride was surprisingly silent. It was normally filled with random spouts of yelling on his part, but this time was different. He was only ever silent for one reason: he wanted something. This ‘something’ varied from time to time but it was usually either one of two things: sex or drugs. This was turning out to look like sex. She hated it. He had been her first. It was her birthday almost 1 year ago, June 16th to be exact, and he used that as his excuse. She didn’t want it. Her dream was to save it for marriage and start a family, but now she feared the longer she stayed with him the more likely she would end up pregnant. She had to leave him. There was no way she could take this any more. She turned her attention to the road that seemed to go on forever. That was all she could remember before everything went black.