I Won't Let Them Take You

So dream on, your sleeping with the lights on,

The waiting room could be compared to a funeral preceding or a even a earthly hell, anything but joyous. Some were crying and some were out of tears. As for Emily’s family panic had struck all of their faces. Her family and friends were gathered in the cramped waiting room, not knowing what to think. This was the second time in a week they had been here and the second time in a week she has made them worried sick. A nurse walked in a looked in the group’s direction.

“Family of...” she then looked at her clipboard. They were all just names to her, not people. “Elizabeth Hall?” The hopes had risen and fallen in a matter of a second.

It was another 10 minutes before they would receive any news.

The nurse walked over with the same clipboard that had the same names and the same power over their lives.

She opened her mouth to talk, “First of all, Emily will be alright.”

They let out a breath of relief. Then came the questions. Before the nurse could even open her mouth to continue she was bombarded with questions from all over the room. As she opened her mouth, though, all went silent.

“Emily is suffering an eating disorder. She wasn’t getting the proper nutrition her body needs. She is hooked up to a feeding tube and will need to be watched very closely. Would you all like to see her?”

After carefully cramming 30-odd people into one small hospital room, people began crying at the sight of Emily. She was pale white and looked as if all life had been drained out of her. Nearly half the people had left within the first 5 minutes of knowing she was all right. Within 20, it was down to Nicole, Ryan, Spencer and Rae (who’s date was also ruined due to this occasion).

Due to Emily’s conditions she had to stay the night at the hospital. Rae decided it was too uncomfortable a situation and left after wishing Emily well. Emily took it and rolled her eyes when she turned away. Rae’s words didn’t mean anything, and Emily let everyone know the second she left.

Brendon didn’t bother to show up, which Emily blamed on herself. She never should have held back. She should have just tried to like him. She was to blame fore all of her problems. She blamed herself from the beginning. He was her fault. He treated her the way he did because of the mistakes she made.

Back to reality.

It was Spencer’s turn to talk, but he didn’t say anything. He leaned over to Emily and gave her a hug. Tears were flowing out of his eyes, though nothing came from his mouth she knew exactly what he meant. He tried to tell her he was sorry. He was sorry for everything he said to her. He was sorry for the way he treated her. He meant it, but he couldn’t say it. He couldn’t bring himself to tell her he was the jerk, he was at fault. But she knew he wanted to and that would have to be good enough. They held each other for 10 minutes, and everything was better. Everything he said didn’t matter anymore. They were back to loving each other as siblings should.

“I hate to spoil this beautiful moment.” Nicole stated, “But I have a sister who is in the hospital that I would like to speak to.” Emily and Spencer detached and Nicole took his spot. “Emily dearest, you my friend are a dumb ass.” Nicole said glaring at Emily. Emily in turn slapped Nicole. “I was just kidding. Damn that hurt.” Nicole said clenching her cheek and Emily began to laugh. “Good to see you laughing again sis.” She gave Emily a kiss on the forehead and got up. “You better get some sleep though. We’ll leave so we don’t bother you.”

“Stay with me.” Emily said in a weak voice.

“All of us?” Asked Spencer.

“Of course all of you silly. I don’t want to be alone in here.”

She was scared of hospitals. Ever since their dad died she hated them, and always felt uncomfortable. After telling the nurse they were staying the night with her, they all picked spots to sleep. Though it wasn’t hard. There were two chairs and Spencer didn’t want to sleep. He couldn’t sleep. Nicole and Ryan shared a chair so Spencer could sit.

The room fell silent and for a moment everything seemed to fall into place.