I Won't Let Them Take You

This make me feel that I'll never be quite normal

Nicole got up and answered it. She was surprised to see who it was and immediately gave both of them hugs. They tried as best they could to hug back but it was challenging due to the fact that one of them was carrying a vase full of flowers and the other was carrying a giant teddy bear. After receiving their hugs they moved on to see the receiver of their gifts. They set them down on a table next to the bed and almost attacked Emily.

“We are so glad you’re ok.” One said.

“Did he do this to you or was this from the accident?” The other asked examining her face.

“Calm down guys.” Emily said pushing them off.

“Well?” They asked.

“This was from the accident. He didn’t do this. Though he probably would have if it weren’t for the accident.” Emily said.

“Hey, Chip. Hand me your compact mirror.” Emily said.

The one named Chip tossed the mirror to Emily and she flipped it open like she always did after visiting him. The same look of terror spread across her face as it always did. Routine, but this was not routine. She never ended up in a hospital; it never went that far. He was dead and there was no grieving. She touched her scars and flinched as she always did. She shed a single tear before closing the mirror. Even though she could never admit it, she would miss him.

“Thanks.” Emily whispered handing the mirror back to Chip.

“No problem.” She replied.

The room fell silent. Emily knew exactly what they were thinking.

“Don’t worry guys, we’ll find a way.” She said looking down at her plastered arm.

“How long?” Chip asked.

“They said four weeks, so I don’t know. It may be longer.” Emily replied.

“Hey Kyia?” Chip asked the girl.

“Yeah?” The girl replied.

“Wasn’t there something you wanted to tell Emily?” Chip asked.

“I don’t know if now is the time.” Kyia replied.

Chip silently agreed. It wasn’t the time and they both knew that. Yet another knock came on the door. Nicole got up and answered it, she was getting tired of this. The same nurse walked in.

“Emily Smith. Do you feel like you are ready to leave?” She asked Emily.

“As ready as I’ll ever be.” She replied.

“Alright. We have some paperwork for you to fill out and sign for us.” The nurse said handing Emily the papers and a pen and exited the room. Emily filled the papers out while the rest sat in silence. The nurse returned again within fifteen minutes to collect the papers.

“When can I get this out of my arm?” Emily asked pointing to the IV jetting out of her arm.

“Soon. I’ll be right back.” The nurse said as she exited the room, clipboard in hand. Emily was getting furious, she couldn’t move at all with the IV poking her with any movement she made. The nurse returned and removed the IV. Nicole handed Emily her clothes and Emily got up and went to the bathroom. She returned, fully dressed, within a few minutes.

“I feel so much better.” Emily said getting used to her faded skinny jeans and ruffled black and white polka dot blouse. Some things never change. She felt like the same old Emily except something was missing and she was glad that chapter of her story was over. The faint sound of a cell phone became apparent. All eyes turned towards Nicole. It was her cell phone and they all knew who was calling, Ryan. Ryan and Nicole had been dating for almost a year. In fact he had asked her out on her birthday, the day of the incident. Nicole gave a ‘Should I answer it’ look to Emily who replied with a ‘whatever’ look. Nicole opened her phone and stepped in the bathroom to answer the phone. She didn’t like talking on the phone in front of people, especially to Ryan.

“What’s up?” She asked.

“Nothing. I just didn’t know if I should come out and visit Emily or not. How is she doing?” He wondered.

“Good. She woke up not too long ago and we told her everything.” She said.

“Everything? Even Terrance?” He asked.

“Yes, even Terrance.” She replied.

“How did she take it?” He asked her.

The both had known about the beatings but Emily had warned them not to tell the police or Spencer, Emily and Nicole’s brother. Emily did her best to cover the scars, and he never found out. If Spencer knew what he had done to Emily, especially with the incident, he would have killed him. No one had found out about the incident, and they never would.

“Fine. We should be leaving within the hour.” Nicole replied.

“Good. You aren’t doing anything tonight, are you?” He asked.

“Not to my knowledge.” She replied with a grin. He was planning something.

“Alright. I’ll pick you up at 7?” He asked.

“Sure.” She answered.

They said good-bye to each other and hung up the phone. Nicole walked back into the hospital room. They were all laughing and having a good time. They fell silent when she entered. This always happened. She constantly felt like an outcast and she never knew why they treated her like one.

“Ready to go?” Nicole asked the silent room.

They all looked at each other and nodded. The four walked out of the room and down the hall to the desk. Emily finished signing papers and getting information about her arm. They talked a lot about him and made sure to verify if anyone ever treated her like that any more that she needed to get away. She agreed, but we all knew if put back into a similar situation she would stay. It scared Nicole to think of how her sister might end up. They left the building and decided to all meet over at Emily and Nicole’s house that they shared with their older brother. They had moved in with him after graduating only weeks before. All four headed to their separate cars. Since Emily arrived by ambulance Nicole drove her home. The car ride was silent until Nicole asked a question that brought tears to Emily’s eyes.