I Won't Let Them Take You

Love is the red the rose on your coffin door

“Why?” She asked directing her attention to Emily and then back to the road.

“Why what?” Emily asked pulling her legs onto the seat.

“Why didn’t you tell the doctors about, you know”

“They didn’t need to know.” She replied.

“They’re doctors not police.”

Emily turned her head out the passenger window. Her phone began to ring; it was Spencer’s ring tone. He hadn’t seen her since before she left the night before. He didn’t know about the accident so he was worried.

“Hello?” She answered in the annoyed tone she always carried.

“Where have you been? I’ve been worried sick. You’ve been out all night, and did you once call me?” He asked.

She was silent.

“Well?” He enjoined.

“No ok. I’ll talk to you about it when I get home.” She yelled bursting into tears and closing her phone without saying good-bye. She placed her head on her knees and Nicole placed a hand on her back. Emily looked up at her with pleading eyes. She was sick, sick of her life. Nicole gave a reassuring look back as they pulled into their driveway. Nicole put it into park and turned off the engine.

“Come on.” She said grabbing Emily’s giant bear and flowers. Emily got out and walked to the door making sure to keep behind Nicole. When they arrived at the door it became obvious that Spencer was mad. He had been waiting for Emily at the door, hoping she would come home. When he saw both of them a look of shook spread across his face, which turned into anger.

“Nicole, why didn’t you tell me you were with her?” He asked putting his hands on his hips as if he was their mother, but he wasn’t.

“I was going to but-“ She tried.

“No buts. Where were you two?” He interrupted.

“It’s a long story.” Nicole said stepping inside; Spencer gave her an impatient look. “I’m sure Emily would love to explain.”

“Thanks. Well you see.” She then proceeded to tell him the complete story including him. She then revealed her broken arm and the room fell silent, and that’s when he entered.