I Won't Let Them Take You

Living What They Call Lies

“Where the hell were you two?” He yelled as they entered the house.
“Ahh I missed that.” Nicole said taking a deep breath.
“We already told you, we went shopping.” Emily replied.
“And when did you tell me this?”
“Before we left. Spencer seriously, we are big girls now.” Nicole replied.
They both walked into Emily’s room.
“My turn!” Nicole screamed diving for Emily’s c.d.’s. She found one that suited her and placed it in the stereo. Kurt Cobain’s voice came pumping through the speakers. Emily pulled out their 7th grade yearbook and started going through it.
“I found this yesterday and thought you might want to see it.” Emily said.
“Haha most defiantly.”

They began looking through the yearbooks picking out every detail from the past three years. Though it went unsaid they both knew that the time they spent together now would soon come to an end. While Emily would go off to college in hopes to make something of herself, Nicole would tough the real world.

Tears formed in their eyes and through blurred vision Emily looked at the clock. It was nearly six. With the boys coming over at seven it gave them nearly an hour to get ready.

“I call first shower.” Nicole yelled running towards the door. She screamed as Emily pulled her backwards, pushing her out of the way. Nicole fell to the ground. She got up and brushed herself off. “Fine Em, you win this time.”

Nicole walked into the living room to find Spencer reading a magazine. He looked over it to see a gleaming face. “Yes?” He questioned.

“Well I was just a wondering what you were doing tonight?” She said.

“As a matter of fact I’m going on a date.” Nicole’s face dropped. “Why?”

“Well it seems to be that I have two very lovely girls that are interested in you.” She said very matter-of-factly.

“Well that’s a shame.” He said putting his attention back on the magazine. She didn’t know what it was but Spencer had always been a ladies man. He had Chip and Kyia and what looked to be a new girl wrapped around his finger.

“So do I know this girl you’re going out with tonight?” Nicole asked taking a seat next to him.

“I do believe so, why?” He asked.

“Well I just wanted to know. Tell me.” She said giving him the irresistible puppy dog eyes.

“Rae. Ok? Now leave me alone.” He said getting up and relocating to a new couch. Nicole stayed where she was and began thinking of all the possible people named ‘Rae’. There was a junior named Rachel but she was too young. The only other possible option was Nicole and Emily’s rival, Rachel. She was one of the popular types. You know the one’s who go around flipping their hair and acting, well, dumb.

“You can’t date her!” Nicole blurted out.

“And why not? If I can’t tell you who to date, you can’t tell me either.” Spencer added knowing this would win the conversation. Nicole sat silently thinking of something to defend herself but came up empty handed. Nicole made her escape out of the awkward situation and back to her room, where she turned her radio on. Flipping through the channel she realized she still needed to make sure she picked out her clothes before Emily had the chance to rummage through her closet. She had finally decided on a red button up blouse and a jean skirt. She laid her outfit on the bed and within seconds Emily came out of the shower and into Nicole’s room, dripping wet and only covered up by a towel.

“I need to borrow some clothes.” Emily said. Nicole let her choose whatever she wanted and she made her way to the shower.