A final Distance

The dream

I was lost in the dark and you found me… I was hot – so hot – and you gave me ice…

Marluxias voice.
the blue haired boy opened his eyes, thinking he had drifted away from some other daytime task of his, and had had a brief but amazingly detailed dream in which Marluxia had died on him.

With his eyes open he immediately understood that the older man was indeed gone, and this night might have been their last night together. He had also realized that this was his dream, and that he was asleep in his own bed, but where was the pink haired beside him?

He seemed to be floating in moonlight. He could smell the sweet and enchanting smell of exotic flowers. A fine-grained summer wind combed through his hair, the kind of wind that blows long after midnight in some secret place far from home.

Yet this was home, had to be home, because right in front of him stood a well known pink head and reached his hand out for him to take. Yet the wind somewhat wanted to keep them apart, silent whispering it might be better if you don’t stay anymore.

The young boy got pulled further and further away from the older man. He desperately tried to say the older man’s name aloud, and could not, the dream wouldn’t let him. He was pulled further and further away until they were to far apart to see each other.

Zexion woke up gasping for air. He was soaking wet from his own sweat, what had just happened to him? He looked to the side, and there was no Marluxia there.

Marly, I loved you, I saved you, I…

His own voice echoing in his mind. The more he thought about it, the more he felt like crying. He slowly pushed the blanket off himself and got himself dressed, pulling on his coat and walked down the hallways to the lab.

Entering the lab where his superior, a tall blond man, had been waiting for him. His face was smooth, giving away little, showing nothing but polite attention. “your late today number six, what took you so?”

Zexion wanted to answer, and he wanted to ask his superior member so many questions, but couldn’t. “You’ve been slacking off lately, don’t make me worry so.” The blond added before another word where to be spoken.

“everything the same, Vexen?” Zexion asked out of the blue.

“I don’t understand what you mean by that number six.”
Of course he didn’t. It had been part of his long lost inner language, How many times hadn’t Maluxia come breezing in, calling “hey Zexy, I’m back – everything the same?” meaning is everything all right, is everything cool. But like most phrases of power, it had an inside meaning.

A busy man like Vexen would never grasp the inside meaning of everything the same. Zexion could explain it all day and he still wouldn’t get it.

“it doesn’t matter.” Zexion answered now looking more depressed than he normally would have done. Marluxia would have understood, but what would he do if he lost him?

“Please have me excused for today Vexen, I need to think some things through.” The boy turned around and walked back out the way he had come, followed by the older scientist’s worried eyes.

His dream had been so realistic. Where they had been was a vast field of pink flowers, dreaming in haunted moonlight. Still hearing his beloveds spoken words echoing inside his head.

Everything was not the same. They had been lying in the bed that once had held only one, that now held two. Zexion had thought he would never be alone again, and would never wake to discover that he was the only one in the room breathing.

just close your eyes, don’t be scared… when you wake up I’ll be here…

Marluxias voice again.
It had all made sense to him the day before, but now… now he just wasn’t sure anymore. He wanted to scream it out, he wanted to just fall to his knees and cry. He felt so lonely.

He found himself outside the room of his companion. The door was open, giving away the sweet smell of roses, and also voices. The older man wasn’t alone, there was a girl there with him. Zexion couldn’t help himself and peeked his head into the room.

“Our plan will succeed. We will surely be able to take over the organization at any rate now.” His voice was so strong and clear, making Zexion’s eyes burst wide open. “What about your little pet?” the blond female member said smirking where she sat.

“What about him?” the pink haired man replied before another word where to be said. “you love him don’t you?” “Don’t be silly Larxene…he’s only my little pet after all.” His face said I do not set myself on fire for him, nor he for me.

Hurt and confused Zexion pulled himself away. Was that really all he was to him? A pet?
Maybe this was what the dream warned him about, maybe this was why the wind had warned him to stay away. He couldn’t think. He just ran.