Emilee

Two

Dear Jane,
Through my second story window, I can see him plucking his base again, hair in his pretty face. What’s up with that? I can hear his parents yelling at him from my room, windows closed, and still he remains at peace in the sanctuary of his room. I’ll never understand it. How does he resist the urge to yell back?


I cringed, remembering the massive purple bruises he’d had after last summer. They looked worse due to his pale complexion. He ignored the comments, the rumours. People were saying he was beat up cos he looks gay. I woulda defended him, but then it’d seem like I was in love with him or something...

Max Green. He’s a strange boy.

I turned away from the window. His parents were still yelling.

Maybe tonight he’ll sneak out through his window again. Every night he does that, I say I’ll follow him. I never do of course, you know that. Tonight. If he sneaks out tonight, I’ll follow. Not that I’m a stalker or anything, I mean, I’m just curious.

He was still there, his shadow visible at the window, the light now off. If I weren’t smarter than I looked, I woulda sworn he was staring at me. He always stood there. It was as if he was waiting for something, someone, but nothing happened, no one came. He waited in the dark for longer tonight than he ever had. Perhaps he’d finally noticed me staring back. I suppose I’d stand out a fair bit, bright red hair. Who could miss me?

I wanna know what’s behind those grey eyes, so confusing all the time. I’d love to talk to him again. Gees, I wrote so many pages here after that day...and all he said was ‘hi’. Ohh god, he’s sneaking out. Cutting this one short,
Emilee


I closed my diary and slipped it under my pillowcase. I know, cliché right? I figured it’s the most obvious place to go looking for it, so why bother? I opened my window, the chilly winter breeze freezing my face in a look of regret. I’ve gotta follow through with this. I want to know where he goes. Maybe he’ll talk to me again...maybe. It was easy enough to get down, I’d done it before when I was bored one night. Went to the park a few blocks down, nothing exciting. I could see him on the curb of the road, about to cross. Now or never Emilee. He turned his head to smile at me before he crossed and exited my sight. He smiled!? Not being able to form coherent and sensible thoughts, I grabbed for a jacket and climbed outta my window. I’d always loved to climb this tree. Once I was safe with 2 feet on the ground, I saw his black figure walking up the street. Trying to be stealthy, I sneaked behind him all the way to the park I’d been to before. Weird, I’d not picked him as the type to be at a kid’s park. More suited to the cemetery further down. I shrugged and continued to...stalk him. I hated to admit it, but I was kinda stalking him. Once I turned the corner, he was gone. I was so sure he was there, so very sure. Confused, I lied on the park bench and closed my eyes. I wasn’t falling asleep, I was just...resting my eyes.

I woke up to absolute silence and peace. Eyes still closed, I tried to guess how long I’d been out for. 2, maybe 3 hours? I heard a shallow breathing beside me. I’m pretty sure my heart stopped. I knew it wasn’t the safest area to be alone in at midnight.

“You know, I thought you seemed a smart girl?” came a voice like candy from beside me. I relaxed. My heart went from motionless to sprinting in less than a second.

“Uhh, hi. Yea, I guess I’m not.” I smiled, although it was probably too dark to see.

“You coulda got raped, killed even, and all you can do is smile?” said the sweet voice from beside me. I heard some shuffling. I was afraid to open my eyes and find he wasn’t there, that I’d just let my imagination go way too far. Against my will, I did open them. I searched for the shadow, finding it in a sitting position on the floor beside me.

“I know. What’s it to you anyway?” I asked. He didn’t know me, let alone care what happened to me.

“Nothing...You should just be more careful in the future. There’s monsters out there.” He laughed lightly at his remark. I didn’t get how it was funny.

“Now who’s smiling,” I stated. He stopped laughing immediately.

“You want me to walk you home? Seeing as you walked me here, I thought I’d return the favour.” I was glad it was so dark. My face burnt a bright red colour.

“I...did not.” I played dumb.

“Did too missy. I saw you,” he said. It sounded as if he were smiling.

“Well if you saw me, then why did you run away?” I questioned.

“Ahh, so you admit it!” He got up off the floor, dragging me up with him. I was too close to him. I could smell him, almost as sweet as his voice. Way too close. My heart began to thud disturbingly hard in my chest and he suddenly laughed.

“What’s so funny?” I asked. “I’m...sorry...I followed you.”

“No no, it’s not that,” he said, still laughing. “It’s just you.” I didn’t get how I was a joke to him. Maybe he knew I liked him...How humiliating. I felt myself sink inside my soul. I realised he still had my hand in his from when he’d pulled me up, and that we were standing still, not walking back to my house at all. His hand was colder than the breeze I much despised, yet I liked the feel of his cool palm against mine. Probably just cos it was his.

“You’re so cold,” I stated.

“And you’re so warm,” he whispered. Ohh god, the shivers it sent up my spine were something different.

“Do...you feel...cold?” I said awkwardly. I’d forgotten how to talk properly.

“No, although if you’d help warm me up, then yes, very.” I was confused by his response. He pulled me into him for a hug. This wasn’t the type of hug I’d give a girlfriend at school, there was something different about it. He rested his head on my shoulder. I almost collapsed as he started licking my neck, then biting softly. “Ahh!” He pushed me away from him lightly. I stood dumbfounded by him, unsure of what to say.

“W-why did you d-do that?” I stuttered out.

“I couldn’t help it...sorry,” he replied in a whisper. “Better get you home.” He dragged me back down the street, as my feet were quite reluctant to move by themselves. He’d helped me climb back up the tree outside my room and followed me up...how did he know what room was mine? I shrugged it off.

“Well, I guess seeya Max,” I said sadly. He noticed my tone. It probably helped that he could see my expression, lighted by the dim lamp beside my bed.

“Why so sad?” Because I have a huge crush on you and now I’ll not speak with you for a while, if ever...

“I’m just tired,” I said dully. I pulled off what I thought was a great fake yawn.

“Liar.” He leaned in through my window and kissed me lightly on the cheek. I felt a frozen tingle lingering where his lips had barely touched. I blushed again. Why did I have to be such a girl I thought, cursing myself. “I’ll see you tomorrow Emilee.” The way he said it...I shivered.

“Uhh, okay. So I’ll meet you-”

“I’ll find you.” He smiled the smile I loved, except this time it was at me. “Goodnight.”

“Goodnight,” I whispered like an echo, but he was already gone from sight. I watched as a few moments later, the shadow creped its way up the side of his house and through his open window. He turned around and flashed me a smile, his eyes appearing to glow. I turned off my lamp and got into bed. I could still feel his lips on my face.
♠ ♠ ♠
If the layout of the text annoys you, tell me :)