Emilee

Thirty Six

I slowly opened my eyes, squinting at the light coming in through the open window. Wait a minute. I was in hospital? The plain white walls and flowers gave it away. I opened my eyes a little more taking in my surroundings, finding my mum asleep in the chair beside me. Where was Max? Perhaps he went to get something to eat. Yes, that must be it. My left arm was throbbing a little in pain. I pulled back the covers and stared blankly at the bandage over it.

“You were quite lucky to survive, Emilee,” someone said from in front of me. I looked up to be greeted by warm eyes. “I’m Doctor Simons. How are you feeling?”

“I’m fin-wait. Survive what!?” I sat up a little in bed, which turned out to hurt more than I thought. Everything ached. It was as if I’d been asleep for a year.

“So you don’t remember anything?” I shook my head. “You were attacked quite badly a few weeks ago at a local park I believe. You’ve been in a coma for a while dear. It was lucky you were found by your neighbour.”

“Max?” He nodded. “Ohh, where is he?”

“Well I’d assume he’s home,” he replied.

“Why isn’t he here?” I choked out. The doctor gave me a funny look.

“Did you know him? All he did was call an ambulance and make sure you got in the back okay,” he said. “He’s never visited.” I felt a few tears slide down my face.

“Of course I know him!” I yelled. My mum woke up startled.

“Ohh hunny, you’re okay!” she exclaimed, wrapping her arms around me.

“Mum, where’s Max?” I asked.

“Who?” I almost hit something.

“Max Green! Mum, where is he?” I asked again.

“She’s referring to the young boy who called for the ambulance,” the doctor said quietly.

“Hunny, I-“

“Can I please talk to Max? Please,” I whispered. “It’s important.”

“I’ll try get him to come down hunny. Rest up, okay?” She kissed my forehead and left the room. Why was everything so confusing!? I was in a coma? Someone attacked me!? Max was there though. I remember watching him fade. He wouldn’t have let anyone attack me, surely.

“Would you like anything to eat?” the doctor asked. I shook my head and turned to face the wall. Soon after, the doctor left.

I was woken up by the soft murmurs of people talking. Well not people, as all I heard was one person. I could hear Max. I opened my eyes, praying I wasn’t imagining things. There he was. Everyone looked at me as I awoke.

“Hunny, I got Max for you, okay?” Max waved a little, as if he were shy or something.

“Thank you,” I said. “Can I talk to him alone for a bit?”

“Sure I guess,” she replied. “I’ll be just outside.” She walked out with the doctor, leaving me alone with Max. How come she wasn’t angry with him? I shrugged it off.

“Hey Emilee, I hope you’re okay now,” Max said softly. I smiled a little.

“Yea, now I am.” He looked so uneasy.

“So uh...why did you want me here?” he asked, looking down at the floor.

“What do you mean why? I love you. I missed you Max,” I said, small tears forming in the corners of my eyes.

“You...love me?” he asked. I looked at him funny. “Listen, Emilee. Anyone in my position would have tried to help you. Those bastards...Why the hell were you out so late alone in the first place!? You know it’s a dangerous area at night,” he said.

“You were there Max, remember? I couldn’t hear what you were saying though,” I said. “Max, why did you leave me there alone?” I was crying the tears held in my eyes.

“Gees...please don’t cry,” he said comfortingly. “I’m not sure what you’re talking about to be honest. I’ve said hello to you like, once. Ever.” I stared up at him.

“You’re scaring me,” I whispered.

“I can go if you wa-“

“No! Please stay Max. I love you,” I said quickly. He looked at me through dull eyes. He looked hurt.

“That’s not nice,” he whispered. “Please don’t play with me. I think you’ve confused me with someone else perhaps. You don’t love me. Hell, you don’t even know me.”

“Yes I do Max,” I insisted. Why would he not believe me? He was confusing me so much. “Remember when you changed me? I love you so much.”

“Changed you?” His eyes went a little wider. “Emilee, I’ve never been near your clothes, trust me.”

“No, changed me to be like you!” He stared at me with a blank expression. “A vampire.” Max let out a laugh.

“You seriously believe in vampires?” he asked, raising his eyebrow.

“How could you not, Max. You’d be a walking contradiction.” He stopped smiling.

“You do, don’t you. You’re being serious,” he said. “I’m gonna go get the doctor back, okay? You’re...not right.”

“Wait, what!?”

“Emilee, you do not know me. Vampires don’t exist, okay?” He went to turn but I caught his hand.

“Do you love me?” I asked. My voice cracked. He bit his lip.

“Emilee, like I said, you barely know me. I don’t know you, either,” he said softly. “How could I possibly love you?”

“I’m so confused,” I choked out, tears falling rapidly. Max’s hand slipped away from mine as he left to get the doctor. He told him I was delusional or something. He explained what I’d just told him to the doctor as if I didn’t know him. It was as if he and I never were.

"Okay Emilee, I think I know why you’re so confused at the moment,” Doctor Simons finally said. “I think you may have dreamed whilst you were in the coma. It seems you’ve had quite a vivid dream.”

“I’m sorry Emilee,” Max whispered. I stared blankly at the wall in front of me. How could I have dreamed about Max, and made all of this up!?

“I think it’s best you get some sleep hunny,” my mum said. They walked out and left me alone. I cried myself to sleep in the hospital bed.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope this makes some sense :P
More explained next chapter!
Thanks for reading :)