Emilee

Four

“Max, where are we?” I asked after half an hour of driving. I was unfamiliar with the area. He simply smiled across at me. All of a sudden out of nowhere, I began to panic. Here I was, skipping school with a boy I barely knew who was driving me to a place I wasn’t sure of yet. “Max?”

“Yea?” he answered. His voice was so sweet, kinda childish. I lost all my fears right then.

“Where are we going?” I asked. I looked out the window to see a park. I really was expecting the cemetery this time. He stopped the car at the side of the road. “Why here?”

“Why not?” he questioned.

“Well...why are we in such a deserted area?” I looked around. Quiet, empty-looking houses filled the street, and no one was in sight. It was eerie. Unnerving. He didn’t answer straight away again, heightening my distressed frame of mind.

“I need to tell you Emilee. It’s driving me...insane.” He opened the car door and walked around to get mine for me. His hands were cold again, I noticed, as he helped me out and never let go. He led me over to the 2 large old swings made from tires hanging by too thin ropes tied to seemingly unsteady trees. As I sat on one, I realised they were quite secure.

“Tell me what?” I asked. All I was doing was questioning him. I wanted a conversation with him, not an interview. “I’m confused,” I admitted. Thunder sounded somewhere over the hills in the distance, the clouds still overhead.

“I love you Emilee.” He moved a hand to stroke the side of my face. “I knew it the first time I saw you. I couldn’t help it. I mean, I knew my time to fall was coming, but I thought I’d have more notice. It happened so quick.” I was stunned, my whole body frozen in one position. My heart, my lungs, my lips. I was hopeless. “You’re not supposed to understand, its okay. No one does at first. I was ensured that once you’ve been changed, you’ll understand what I’m feeling for you right now. It’s so hard not to do it right here and now. I wanna change you so bad.” He looked anxiously at me, right into my eyes and through my soul. I felt so bad for not understanding.

‘Max, I don’t get it. You don’t know me...” I said slowly.

“I do know you!” he insisted. “I hear your every thought. We’re linked, connected in some near impossible and extremely unpredictable way. I’m supposed to fall for my own, but you...” He trailed off and seemed to stare right past me into another realm.

“What do you mean? Your own? Who are you? Why do I have to change?” I was so confused. I wanted to understand it all. I doubt it was even possible to understand so much in such a short time.

“I...it’s more a question of what am I...” he started. “You see, I’m a vampire. And you’re my mate decided for me by fate.” I gulped. “You have to change...because if you don’t...one of us will die. I’m not taking that chance Emilee. This world isn’t losing you because of me.” I stared at him in confusion for a minute before cracking up in laughter. He looked worried.

“You expect me to fall for that?” I wasn’t this stupid. “Max, take me home. This is just...just low of you. If you didn’t like me, you coulda just told me. I don’t need the story of wonder filled with false hope.”

“But-“ he tried.

“Take me home!” I yelled. Out of nowhere, I began to cry. I was gasping for air, clinging to Max so hard I thought my fingers would leave permanent indents in his skin. It was hopeless. How could one boy get to me so much? As much as it hurt, I didn’t want to let go of him. I wanted to believe that panicked expression on his face was the result of him believing I was sad, and not because he thought I was dying or something.

“Please calm down Emilee,” he whispered. He got up off the swing as my feet gave way and I collapsed to the floor. He sat beside me and hugged me tight. I still didn’t understand. Why did he have to be so mean, and now so nice? “Shhh,” he cooed in my ear, kissing it softly. “It’s okay. You’ll understand in time.”

“No I won’t,” I sobbed.

“I'm sorry Emilee,” he said sweetly. He meant it.