My life as a loser in High School.

005

I entered school that morning with my lips pursed. My mother didn’t comment on my puffy eyes the night before (I didn’t even think she noticed them.) However, they didn’t seem to fade much in the night and this resulted in me getting weird looks from everyone.

I did my best to ignore them, even ducking my head so my blonde locks fell over my face. I inwardly cringed when I realised my first lesson was English and I had to sit next to Dylan. He was the reason I was crying in the first place.

I entered the classroom just as the bell went due to me getting a little lost on the way there. Nobody stopped to help me and I didn’t dare stop someone to ask. I only had a nail file to protect myself if one of them turned on me.

“Miss Munroe.” Miss Davis said darkly, narrowing her grey eyes at me.

“Sorry, I’m late. I... I got lost.” I mumbled embarrassed causing the silent class to erupt in quiet giggles. She shot them a look and they stopped almost immediately.

“Hurry up and sit down then; I have a lesson to teach.” She ordered flicking her wrist. I gazed around the room desperately and saw an empty seat where this red head with glasses use to sit. I felt my heart leap with relief and turned to face Miss Davis again.

“Can’t I sit in that chair today, Miss?” I asked hopefully. She glared at me.

“I have a seating plan for a reason Brianna!” I cringed at the use of my full name but still pressed on.

“My eyes aren’t working properly though, Miss. I think I need glasses.” I lied.

“You bring me a note from a parent and I’ll move you to the front of the class; however, your seat today is next to Dylan. Now please sit down and stop interrupting my lesson.” She told me firmly. I let out a soft sigh so she didn’t hear me and made my way towards my doom. Okay, that was exaggerating a little but I still wasn’t looking forward to sitting next to his smug face.

I dumped my bag under the table and pulled out my exercise book and a pen, trying to avoid making eye contact with him. Miss Davis was writing something on the board and explaining exactly what imagery Shakespeare used in Macbeth but I couldn’t concentrate. It angered me that even though I disliked Dylan so much, I still wanted him to like me.

After a few minutes she whipped her head around and told us to get on with our work and we could talk quietly to the people next to us. I stopped trying to make out what the words carved into the desk actually said and timidly reached over for the text book.

“Hey, what are you doing?” Dylan asked, clamping his hand over the top of the book so I couldn’t turn the page. I felt my heart drop; I really couldn’t be doing with this.

“There’s only one book. We need to share.” I explained slowly though gritted teeth. A smirk appeared on his face but when his eyes met mine a flash of emotion appeared on his face, although it disappeared almost as suddenly as it appeared. I could have just imagined it.

“Okay but I’ll turn the page.” He said, pulling the book from under my grip and flicking to the page we were told. I rolled my eyes at how pathetic he was being but didn’t argue with him. I didn’t have the energy. He placed the open book back down on the desk and I sighed loudly.

“I need to actually see the questions. Can’t you just put the book in the middle?” He grinned smugly but surprisingly he did as I asked.

I wrote the date and title down in my exercise book and tried to process the question so I could answer it. Dylan did the same and I noticed that his hands were once again covered in paint with various scribbles on them.

“So...” He started, attempting to strike up conversation.

“Look, it’s obvious you don’t like me so can’t you just turn around and talk to your other friends, leaving me to work in peace?”

He pondered this for a moment before replying. “I could but you see it’s around this time that Miss Davis is having her menstruation cycle. I’d rather keep my genitals.” He explained, grinning as I pulled a face.

“Well, can’t you put some headphones in or something?” I muttered.

“It seems like it’s your time of the month as well.” He observed whilst I glared at him. He suddenly darkened his eyes. “And not all of us can afford IPods.”

“Yeah, you’re right. Not all of us can afford IPods. I don’t know why you think I’m rolling in money because do you think I’d come to a school with you if I did?” I snapped. His eyes widened in surprise and I turned away, pressing my pen to my paper and willing my hand to write something.

To my shock, I felt his warm fingers gently touch my arm. I looked up and just when I thought he was about to apologise for the way he has been treating me, he pulled away. We spent the rest of the lesson in silence.

***

The corridor was packed with screaming teenagers and I clutched my bag desperately, scared one of them was going to steal it. It wouldn’t surprise me if they did. I ungracefully dodged the chewing gum someone had just spat out onto the floor and cringed as a girl wearing a track suit barged into my shoulders.

I guess it didn’t help almost everyone was heading in the opposite direction to me. I hadn’t seen Jay today but I was kinder hoping he would have lunch with me again considering yesterday wasn’t a big disaster. But what if yesterday was one big joke to him; the whole school might be laughing at me and I might not have even realised.

“Hey, Briester!” A voice called through the halls. I paused mid step and all my worries disappeared when I caught sight of that familiar grin.

“Briester?” I repeated a note of humour in my voice.

“Yeah, I was calling you for ages and you never answered. I didn’t think you would hear me.” Jay admitted sheepishly.

“Oh,” I paused. “Are, we like, eating together again or what?” I blushed a little at how pathetic I sounded.

“Sure, but I’m gonna have to bum a few chips off you. I forgot my money.”

“Okay” I shrugged following him out the school gates once again. The weather wasn’t exactly pleasant but at least it wasn’t raining like it was this morning. Huge puddles covered the dirty, gravel covered floors and I really wished I had put on more appropriate shoes.

“Hey, what are you doing tonight?” He suddenly asked leaping over a puddle with a tad more grace than I could ever muster up.

“Oh, well I got to the store to pick up some paint for my room, then maybe start painting it, and to conclude tonight’s busy activities, I might attempt some maths homework.” I sighed, letting my sarcastic nature control my tongue. “Why?”

“I was wondering if you wanted to come to a friend’s house with me. He’s really cool.”

“Is he your boyfriend?” I teased. He rolled his eyes and lightly shoved me.

“EW, no! Sidney finds me way too annoying.” He grinned at his own achievement and I giggled lightly. “Plus he digs girls.”

“So, you’re trying to set me up with ‘Sidney’?” I questioned, a slight feeling of panic rising in my chest.

“No, of course not. Sidney’s like eighteen. He’d probably still be in college if he didn’t find it such a task to get up in the morning. He never leaves his room unless he really has to.” He explained chuckling a little. I let out a sigh of relief.

“I thought you were trying to play match maker then, Jay.” I admitted, blowing my hair out of my eyes.

He laughed loudly and ruffled my hair affectionately. He obviously didn’t notice the annoyed look on my face; it took me ten minutes this morning to straighten my locks! “Nah, I don’t really think he’s your type Brie. I don’t think you’re his either.”

“What? You don’t think he love my sexy curves?” I laughed running a hand up my slim body. Jay followed my hands and chuckled. I was still waiting for my hormones to kick in and give me the hips and breasts I rightfully deserved. My mum said I should be happy that I could eat whatever I wanted and not put on a bit of weight. I said I’d never be happy until I could fill out a B cup.

“Oh, yes. I can see him going mad over your womanly figure.” He snorted. I lightly elbowed him in the side.

“Shut up!” I said, though I couldn’t keep a straight face. “You’re just jealous that you don’t have the body of a little girl.”

“You got it spot on, Brie.” He laughed.

“It’s not funny!” I scolded although I was laughing myself. “I hate having this type of body. I’d rather have curves than be stick thin.”

“Nonsense, you’re fine.” Jay said attempting to reassure me. “If it makes you feel better, if I were straight I’d be all over you.” He struggled to keep a straight face and I stuck my tongue out at him.

“Really?” I asked looking up at his grinning face.

“Really.” He stated firmly wrapping an arm around my shoulder. I giggled and snuggled further into his body. It’s not like I was flirting with him or something; it was all friendly and I really could have used a bit of affection.

I suddenly saw Dylan walk past with his own arm wrapped around that girl again. His dark hair blew lightly in the wind and his green eyes stood out vibrant against his pale skin. The girl who was hanging off him was wearing a red hat that stopped just above her eyebrows, her own dark hair framing her heavily made up face. Her lip ring glinted in the light and she turned to press her rose pink lips to Dylan’s ear, whispering something.

Dylan didn’t even seem to acknowledge her existence; his narrowed eyes were firmly fixed on me and Jay. I swallowed uncomfortably and wondered whether Jay realised he was staring at us. I didn’t know whether to pull away from him or grip closer to his toned body. I chose the latter.

The couple walked past us without saying anything although I kept my eyes firmly locked to the ground. “Hey, Jay?” He nodded his head to show he heard me although he was fiddling with his phone. “You don’t think Sidney will hate me, do you?” I questioned worriedly.

“Hell, no! He’ll love you I promise. You’ll like him as well, he’s really deep.” He told me. I narrowed my eyes; what the hell was that suppose to mean?