This Is The Dawning Of The Rest Of Our Lives

Chapter X - Take Me To the Tracks At Christie Road

“Youknow, I was just debating whether I had to call you or not,” I said, looking at him.
“That means I can read your mind,” he smirked, staring into my eyes with a strange, somewhat crazy and creepy look. I started giggling.
“Oh really? So, you can read my thoughts? Guess I should think a bit more carefully then, knowing you…” I chuckled.
“Nah, don’t bother, it’s too late anyway. I know it all,” he said seriously.
“Do you now?” I chuckled, raising my eyebrows.
“Of course I do…I just know you want to go somewhere private right now with no parents around so we can have-” he started with a big smirk. I burst out giggling and pushed him before he could go on while he wiggled his eyebrows.
“Well, for your information, Mr. Cool,” I laughed, “I think going somewhere sounds like a good idea, but seeing as my mind is young and innocent, and not twisted like your own, I would forget about that last part.”
“Aww, but Jessie…” he whined teasingly.
“No buts, Frank!” I grinned evilly, looking at him. He didn’t see that one coming. Hah.
“Jessie!” he gasped wide-eyed.
“Oops,” I said, fake-gasping, “I’m sorry!” I giggled. He pouted, pretending to be hurt.
“Sorry who?” he asked.
“Sorry, TRÉ,”I laughed, rolling my eyes. He smirked.
“That’s better,” he said, pulling me close against him.

“Youknow…” Tré said, after a while, “you’re actually the first girl who hasn’t slapped me in the face after I read her thoughts,” he stated, rather impressed. I giggled.
“So I passed the test then?” I asked, leaning against him.
“You damn well did,” he grinned. I ruffled his hair, causing him to push my hand away with a ‘don’t-mess-with-my-hair-or-you’re-dead-but-keep-trying-anyway’ look, which caused me to giggle again.
“You sure giggle a lot, don’t you?” he asked casually. I giggled.
“See! Again!” he said, pointing an accusing finger at me.
“Whatever, Tré,” I chuckled. He grinned and kissed my cheek.
“So…where did you want to go?” I asked. He looked at me.
“Christie Road?” he suggested.
“What’s Christie Road?” I asked curiously.
“It’s this place where we hang out…me and the guys. It’s awesome,” he answered.
“Sounds cool,” I smiled, putting Jingle on my bed and getting up, “Let’s go.”

“Here we are,” Tré said, smiling. He didn’t smile often –though more frequently than he used to- but when he did, he made me feel all fuzzy inside. I smiled back at him and looked around while I felt his arm sneak around my waist, pulling me close against him.
“It’s beautiful,” I said softly, leaning against him.
“I can’t explain, but it has this…feeling. A good feeling,” I said, looking at him for a second before my eyes were caught by the beautiful landscape again.
Tré stood behind me, holding me close against him, his hands joined on my stomach. I smiled and placed my hands on his. I loved the feeling of just standing there with him. The feeling of his cheek against mine, his fingers slowly entwining into mine…I wanted that moment to last. To stay there forever, watching the sun sink into the bay.

TRÉ’S POV

I softly stroked her fingers with my thumbs as I held her against me, never wanting to let go. Everything seemed so perfect right then. It was quiet, and the only sounds to be heard were some birds that flew over from time to time and the light breeze that made Jessie’s hair dance ever so softly.
Sure, I like loud music. I love loud music. I love to make noise, I love to jump and shout. But that moment right then was as precious to me as any moment I’d spent running, or shouting, or playing my drums. And believe me, that says something.
I’d spent a lot of time on Christie Road with Mike and Billie, smoking and staring at the sky. But it had never been as beautiful as this. It was almost, álmost as beautiful as Jessica.

“Let’s sit down,” I said softly, breaking the silence and sinking onto the ground, pulling Jessica next to me. She leaned against me, her head resting on my chest and her hand reaching out for mine. I took it and squeezed it a little before placing a soft kiss on it. She looked up at me and smiled. I smiled back and touched her nose, making her giggle yet again.

After we’d been sitting there for a while, watching the sunset, not saying a word, it suddenly hit me. I looked at her and stroked her hair a bit, and then it hit me.
“Jessie?” I whispered, pulling her as close to me as I could.
“What is it?” she asked softly, looking at me with a smile.
I didn’t say anything for a few seconds, but just looked into her beautiful eyes, admiring the little sparkles of light that made her look so alive. I then moved my face a little closer to hers.
“I love you,” I whispered into her ear, gently stroking some hair out of her face before placing my lips on hers.

JESSICA'S POV

My heart skipped more than a beat as I heard those words. He loved me. He fucking loved me!
It made me think, too. Did I love him too? The butterflies that invaded my stomach each time I watched him smile, and that had just conquered my entire body must mean something, right? I love him. Of course I love him. Why the hell didn't I see it before?
Weird, isn't it, how you can think so much in such a short moment? Like falling from the stairs. It takes a split second for it to happen, but in your head it seems like you have time to think for hours before you hit the ground. This was just the other way around. I wasn't falling down, I was going up. I was flying. That's it, I was flying like a bird without the need to flap my wings.
I wrapped my arms around Tré's neck and answered his kiss, feeling happier than I'd ever felt in my life.
After what seemed like an eternity, but at the same time seemed too short for words, the contact between our lips broke and I found myself looking deeply into his magical eyes. They always managed to pull me in, forgetting what I was doing before. This time, anyhow, I didn't forget it at all. The feeling only became stronger.
"I love you too," I heard myself whisper, and I smiled as his fingers traced my jawline, making me shiver slightly. But it was one of those shivers that made you feel good.