This Is The Dawning Of The Rest Of Our Lives

Chapter XIV - Plans and Prisoners

I was hanging on the couch with Tré, watching TV. We laughed at some stupid joke the guy presenting the program we were watching made and I snuggled a bit closer to Tré, resting my head on his chest. He kissed my cheek and placed his hand on my stomach. I smiled and put my hand on his, entwining our fingers.
“Jessie?” came a small voice that I recognized as Tessie’s.
“Hmm? What is it?” I asked, sitting up a little and looking at my little sister.
“Mummy’s calling you. She wants to go to town.”
“Okay…tell her I’m coming,” I sighed, not wanting to get up. Tessie nodded and left the room.
“But you’re such a nice blanket…don’t go,” Tré whined, wrapping his arms around me and holding me tightly. I chuckled.
“You’re not a bad mattress yourself, but I’m afraid I’ll have to go anyway…Mom told me yesterday that she wanted to get some of the principal stuff we need…toothbrushes and clothes and stuff.”
“You can use my toothbrush and clothes,” he offered. I laughed.
“Do you even have clothes in your wardrobe? I always get the feeling they’re spread all over the floor. I mean…shirts will pass, but I think I’d rather have the rest of my own anyway…thanks for the offer,” I said, placing a quick kiss on his lips. He smirked.
“You might have a point there…I guess I’ll have to live with it,” he said. I let out an exaggerated sigh and looked at him.
“I guess you’re right,” I chuckled, “so if you’d kindly let go of me so I can get up it would be greatly appreciated.”
“Would it now?” he smirked.
“It would, now lemme gooo!” I giggled.
“How much exactly would it be appreciated?” he asked, wiggling his eyebrows. I giggled and rolled my eyes.
“Is that seriously all you can think about?” I laughed.
“Think about what? You? Yeah, that’s all I can think about,” he said. I chuckled.
“You must have a very boring life then,” I said.
“You’re not boring!” he protested, pulling me closer against him than I already was.
“I can’t be more interesting than your drums, can I?” I said. He looked at me.
“Meanie! I was trying to compliment you, and then you ask me this impossible question!”
I laughed.
“I’m sorry to have troubled your…I was going to say innocent mind but actually, never mind that,” I giggled. He smirked.
“Jessica?” my mother called.
“See what you’ve done? Now she might come over here,” I chuckled.
“Yeah I’m coming!” I shouted back at my mom.
“She won’t come over here ‘cause you’re gonna go over there before she’ll be able to get here,” Tré said.
“That’s gonna be real hard if you keep me captured like this,” I said.
“Smartass,” he said, but loosened his grip on me.
“Thank you,” I said sweetly, smiling at him.
He gently kissed my lips and released me. I ruffled his hair and got up.
“Love you,” I whispered. He smiled.
“I love you too, Jessie,” he said softly, getting up and grabbing my hand. I squeezed his hand a bit as we walked to the kitchen, where my mother and Tessie were waiting.

TRÉ’S POV

I was drumming a rhythm on the kitchen table with my fingers while waiting for Billie and Mike to come over.
“Sounds good,” my mother, who had just walked in, commented. I grinned.
“Thanks.”
“How is Jessica?” she asked, sitting down next to me, putting a cup of coffee in front of her.
“She’s good. Most of the time anyway. Sometimes she has these little breakdowns…At least that’s what I see of it. I can’t really tell what’s going on inside her head, but she seems okay,” I said, stopping the drumming. Mom nodded.
“It’s a bit the same with Jasmin. But I think they’re all coping with it rather well. Poor Tessie…she doesn’t understand much of it, but from time to time she realizes that everything’s gone. Poor little thing.”
I sighed.
“Mom?” I asked after a short silence.
“Hmm? What is it?” she asked, taking a sip of her coffee.
“I wanna do something for Jessica.”
She smiled.
“What were you thinking of then?”
“I don’t really know…just something. I feel so helpless…”
She put her hand on my shoulder.
“I think it’s very sweet of you that you want to do something for her. When you come up with something, let me know. Me and dad are always ready to help, you know that,” she added with a smile. I nodded.
“I know. Thanks, mom.”
I looked up at the sound of the kitchen door.
“Heya mate. Hi Linda,” Billie greeted.
“Hi Billie, I’ll leave you two guys alone,” my mother smiled.
“Nah, mom. It’s okay, we’ll go upstairs,” I said, getting up.
“There’s Mike,” Billie said, looking outside.

When we were upstairs, I looked at Billie and Mike.
“You wanted to talk to us?” Billie asked.
“Yeah…youknow, I’ve been thinking.”
“Thinking? You?”
“Shut it, Mikey! Yes me. Thinking,” I chuckled. “I wanna do something for Jessica.”
Billie looked at me.
“Like?” he asked.
“Like…I dunno, something to make her feel happy. She’s real down, and I can’t stand to see her like this…” I muttered. Mike nodded.
“That’s good idea, dude.”

BILLIE’S POV

“Jingle,” I whispered, barely audible.
“What?” Tré asked.
“Jingle. She’s most sad about Jingle, right?” I asked. He nodded.
“Then we should get her a new Jingle,” I stated.
“A guitar?” Tré asked.
“Yeah. What else could Jingle be? Unless she had a bell…” I chuckled.
“Bill, that’s a great idea!” Tré suddenly shouted, jumping up and startling me and Mike.

TRÉ’S POV

Billie’s a fucking genius! A new guitar. Why hadn’t I thought of that? I looked from Billie, who was grinning as widely as I was, to Mike, whose expression was far from grinning.
“Guys…it’s a great idea and all, but think about it for a second…Guitars are expensive,” he said carefully. I let myself fall back onto my bed and sighed. So that’s why I hadn’t thought of it before.
“Fuck…” I muttered, “I really thought we had something there.”
Billie thought about it for a second.
“Well youknow, it shouldn’t be too hard to get a job or something.”
“You mean like…work?” I asked. Mike rolled his eyes.
“Oh come on Tré, you want to get something for Jessica. Isn’t that worth a little work?”
“Easy, easy! It is, and I will work! I’ll do anything for her. I just wanted to make sure, that’s all,” I said quickly. Billie chuckled.
“Oh, and I just remembered. I was talking to mom and I told her about my idea and stuff, and she said that when I came up with something she and dad would help,” I said.
“That’s great!” Billie grinned.
“What’s great?” I heard a familiar voice ask, as Jessica stepped into my room.
“Hi guys,” she added, letting herself fall down next to me.
“Nothing special,” I said.
“Tell me,” she said, looking at me.
“Tré’s gonna try to find a job,” Mike said.
Find a job? Since when am I gonna find a job??
“Am I?” I asked, whipping my head around to look at Mike.
“’Course you are!” Billie muttered through gritted teeth.
“Oh,” I said. I suddenly realized it again.
“Ooooh, yeah that’s right. I’m getting a job!” I said hyperly.

JESSICA’S POV

“That’s great!” I said, ruffling his hair. Tré grinned and pulled my into a bone-crushing hug.
“Tré – breathe!” I fake coughed. He chuckled apologetically and loosened his grip on me a little, making the hug nice and warm. I smiled and wrapped my arms around him as well. He looked at me and smiled before placing a quick kiss on my lips.
“Man, get a room you two!” Billie said with a disgusted look on his face. Mike chuckled.
Tré looked at him and pulled me closer against him.
“Youknow…technically, this is my room,” he smirked, “so I can do what I want.”
Billie rolled his eyes.
“Okay, okay. I get the message. Come on Mike, we’re unwanted!” he said dramatically, before leaving the room with a chuckle, followed by Mike.