This Is The Dawning Of The Rest Of Our Lives

Chapter XV - Pizzas and the Elderly

“You think I could do this?” Tré asked me, as he was flipping through the newspaper, sitting on his bed. I looked at the advertisement he pointed out.
“Delivering pizzas? Shouldn’t be too hard right?” I chuckled. He smirked.
“I’m gonna call them,” he said.
“You do that,” I nodded, ruffling his hair before grabbing his acoustic guitar and strumming it a bit as he walked out of the room.

I looked up as Tré entered his room again, and I stopped playing, looking at him with a questioned expression.
“Don’t stop,” he said, “I love that song,” he added with a smile. I smiled back, feeling slightly fuzzy, and I started over. He sat down next to me on the bed, wrapping his arm around me as he did so.
I leaned against him and softly started singing.

TRÉ’S POV

I felt my smile broadening. She had such a beautiful voice. But then, how could she not, seeing how beautiful she was. I silently listened to her, not wanting the song to end.
“You never told me you could do magic,” I grinned, placing a kiss in the crook of her neck.
“Can I do magic?” she giggled, cuddling closer against me and putting the guitar away. I put my chin on her shoulder and held her tight.
“Apparently, ‘cause you sure as hell put a spell on me,” I said softly. She looked at me and smiled.
“The spell must’ve backfired when I cast it then.”
I smirked.
After a short, but comfortable silence, she spoke again.
“So? What did they say?”
It took me a second to realize what she was talking about.
“They already hired someone,” I shrugged.
“Shame,” she said, “there goes your chance of pizza discounts.”
I chuckled, and looked up as the door suddenly opened.
“I GOT A FUCKING JOB!!” Billie shouted, half stumbling over the shoes I had strategically dropped near the door.
“Billie, my ears!” Jessica whined laughing, putting her hands over them.
“Sorry, sorry,” he said, grinning widely. “I got a fucking job!”
“When are you gonna tell us what the fucking job is?” I asked with a chuckle.
“I’m gonna…deliver pizzas!” he smirked. I stared at him. The bastard stole my job!
“Pizzas?” I asked, “you sure it’s not papers or anything?”
“No, I’m positive. Pizzas!”
“Gimme my jooob!”
“Your job? It’s miiine!”
Jessica laughed, “Looks like he was quicker than you.”
“But I need that job!” I whined. I really did. I wanted to buy Jessie a new guitar!

BILLIE’S POV

Exaggerator, geez, he’s getting money for Jessica’s present without working and he’s still whining… I let myself fall down on the bed so I was sitting next to Tré, and I whacked his head.
“Quit whining, you moron, I’m not doing it for myself,” I hissed, hoping Jess wouldn’t hear me.
“What the fuck do you – ooh…” he said, looking at me, suddenly understanding. “Right.”
Jessica looked at us.
“What?” she asked.
“Nothing,” we both said at the same time, maybe a bit too quickly.
“Hey,” I smirked, hitting Tré on the shoulder, “we were stereo!”
“We were!” he said hyperly, bouncing on the bed. Jessica laughed, and she seemed to have dropped the matter. Thank god.

JESSICA’S POV

I giggled, being bounced around by Tré while Billie was doing his best to keep Tré from falling on top of him.
“FRANK!” came Linda’s voice from downstairs. Tré immediately stopped bouncing and grimaced.
“WHAT?” he yelled back.
“Come down for a second!”
Tré looked at me.
“What did I do?” he asked puzzled.
“I dunno, you better go see,” I chuckled, and Billie hit his back with a smirk.
“Okay…it was nice to have known you all,” he said dramatically, before getting up with a sigh.

TRÉ’S POV

What now? I didn’t bounce that hard did I?
“Frank!” she called again.
“I’m on my way!”
I entered the living room and looked at my mother.
“What is it?” I asked.
“Billie Joe’s got a job,” she said. I groaned.
“I know, mom, he told me.”
“And you haven’t got a job. Right?”
“Right…I know.”
“You want a job to be able to buy that guitar, don’t you?”
“I do…Look, mom I called that pizza place this morning to see if I could get a job there but Billie got there before me -” I started, but she interrupted me.
“I’m not reproaching you anything Frank, just listen. I was on the phone with your aunt Karla,” she said, looking at me.
“Aunt Karla? What did she want?” I asked. I hardly ever saw her, but I never really liked her. When dad had told me to play something for her once, to let her know what I was into, after a few seconds she had told me to stop that ‘noise’ at once. I remember the look on dad’s face. He didn’t like her much either. Good for her.
“Well, you know she works not far from here, at the home for the elderly.”
“Yeah…so?”
“She could use some help.”
“So?”
“So, I thought you wanted to get a job.”
“I do,” I said.
“Good, because I said you did, and she said you could start on Monday.”
I stared at her.
“Mom! Why did you do that? I can’t go there! I don’t know what to do with those old people, and anyway, I’d do everything wrong,” I protested.
“Of course you won’t, Karla will help you.”
“But mom, -”
“Do you want to earn money or not?” she asked, “Dad and I are willing to help but we’re not going to pay everything youknow.”
“I know,” I grumbled. “What time do I start?” I asked, knowing I didn’t want to know the answer.
“Eight.”
“EIGHT? Mom that’s fucking early, I can’t get up that early!”
“Frank!”
“I know…language.”
“Be glad Karla is offering you the job.”
“Yeah sure,” I muttered, “thank her from the bottom of my heart,” I added sarcastically, before walking back upstairs.

JESSICA’S POV

I was leaning against the wall, listening to Billie, who was fooling around with the guitar while we waited for Tré to come back, both curious to know what Linda had to say.
“Like, what the fuck!” he muttered as he got back.
“What’s wrong?” I asked, pulling him down between me and Billie.
“Auntie Karla got me a job,” he said, looking down and starting to drum on the edge of the bed.
“Really? That’s great!” Billie said.
“What kind of job?” I asked
“She works with old people.”
I bit my lip as not to burst out laughing at the thought of Tré looking after old people, and I could tell Billie was doing the same.
“That’s nice,” I managed to say, stroking his back. He sat up and looked at me.
“Yeah…real nice, I gotta start at fucking eight!” he said. Billie couldn’t hold in a chuckle.
“Ah well buddy, see it this way, it’s charity,” he said. Tré looked at him and smirked.
“That’s true.”