This Is The Dawning Of The Rest Of Our Lives

Chapter XVI - That's a Good Lad!

“It was nice to have known you,” Tré said dramatically, slowly getting up and letting out a sigh. I giggled.
“Don’t overdo it. You’ll survive.”
“How can you be so sure of that?” he asked, looking at me. I chuckled.
“Just go and act as if you’re nice, okay?”
“I’m always nice!” he said, pretending to be upset. I laughed and grabbed his hand, squeezing it gently.
“Of course you are,” I smiled. He grinned.
“I’ll see you later then,” he added, before placing a quick kiss on my mouth. He smiled and touched my nose before walking out of the kitchen, leaving me with a smile plastered on my face.

TRÉ’S POV

I observed the people in the hall as I walked through the door, looking for aunt Karla. What the hell was I doing here?
‘It’s for Jessie,’ I kept telling myself. ‘You need money to buy her a guitar, it’s all worth it in the end.’
I thought of Billie, somewhat jealous, who would be delivering his first pizzas by now. Why couldn’t have an aunt working with old people? I sighed.
“Are you all right, young man?” a lady covered in wrinkles, who was sitting in a chair against a wall right in front of the entrance, and who had been looking at me since the moment I stepped inside, said in a thick British accent. Even her voice was wrinkly.
“Yes, I’m fine,” I said, trying to sound as polite as I could. She nodded.
“Ah, there you are,” the sneering voice that belonged to my aunt Karla came from behind me.
“You’re late. Follow me.”
I rolled my eyes and did as I was told, the thought of Jessica being the only thing to keep me from turning around on the spot and walk home.

Karla had explained to me that she expected me to go around with a trolley with coffee and tea, stuff like that. I had to knock on the doors, and politely ask whether one desired a cup of coffee or maybe rather a cup of tea? Blegh. How fake can one be?

My first door. Mrs. Flynn.
I knocked, and there was a clear “Yes, come in?”. British accent again…how many fucking English people are there? I opened the door and got in with the trolley, accidently banging it against the door.
“That door’s got to be used for longer than today, youknow!” the same wrinkly voice I’d heard before snarled.
“Yes, I’m sorry,” I muttered quickly, straightening the trolley and pushing it further into the room. She shook her head.
“You youngsters are getting les polite with the day! Aren’t you going to say hello?”
I resisted the incredible urge to roll my eyes.
“Hello.” I said.
“That’s better,” she smiled. “I’m Jane Flynn. And what’s your name?” she asked, looking at me intently.
“I’m Tré,” I said.
“Tray? What kind of a name is that, boy? I don’t like it when people play jokes on me! And that hair doesn’t help either. Back in my days lads of your age had normal hair colors.”
I sighed, quickly running my hand through my hair, and decided it would be best to get it over with as quickly as possible, so I said, “My name’s Frank.”
“Frank? Now that’s a decent name.”
It’s so not. But I wasn’t gonna say that in front of her.
“Do you want a cup of coffee Mrs. Flynn?” I asked, wanting to get the hell out of that room.
“No, thank you. I’d like a cup of tea, if you please.”
“Okay,” I said, grabbing a cup.
“Would you like any sugar in your tea?” I asked as politely as I could.
“Yes, please.”
I poured some tea into the cup and added a spoon of sugar.
“Milk?”
“What did you say, lad?”
“Would you like any milk with it?”
Geez, do I have to make a speech for everything I ask or what?
“Yes, please.”
I poured some milk into the liquid. Eww, who would want to drink that?
“Wait, boy! That’s too much!” she suddenly exclaimed. Startled, I spilled milk over my shirt. Great.
“I’m sorry,” I quickly muttered, pouring a little more tea into the cup.
“Don’t make it too full.”
I kept my mouth shut and quickly brushed over my shirt with my wrist so the milk wouldn’t leak further down.
“There you are, Mrs. Flynn,” I said, putting the cup of tea on the table.
“Thank you Frank,” she smiled, “that’s a good lad.”
I forced a smile before quickly making my way out of the room, making sure not to bang against the door again.

JESSICA’S POV

“Where’s Tré?” Tessie asked. She was sitting on my lap, Snuggles clutched in her little fist.
“He’s working,” I answered, wondering how he was doing. “He should be back soon though,” I added, checking my watch.
“Do you think he’ll want to play with me and Snuggles?” she asked hopefully. I chuckled.
“I don’t know, Tess. That depends on how his day went I think,” I said.
Suddenly there was a loud bang, followed by a “FUCK!”.
“There’s Billie,” I chuckled, putting Tessie on the ground. She quickly walked out of the room, towards him.

BILLIE’S POV

I quickly picked up the pizza box I’d dropped when I’d tripped over a drumstick that lay at the top of the stairs. Tré seriously needs to put his stuff away.
“Billie!”
I looked up and my face lightened up as I saw Tessie walking towards me. She wrapped her arms around my waist and held onto me tightly for a moment. I chuckled and ruffled her hair a little.
“Heyy!” she said, looking up. I smirked.
“Sorry, but I gotta ruffle my little monkey don’t I?”
“Your little monkey?” she asked, looking up at me.
“Yeess, my little monkey,” I smiled. She smiled widely and grabbed my hand, pulling me to Tré’s room, where Jess was sitting on the bed.
“Hey there,” she smiled when we got in.
“Jessie! I’m a little monkey!” Tessie said excitedly. She grinned and looked at me. I shrugged and chuckled.
“Here…I brought a pizza, but thanks to the drumstick that was oh so strategically placed at the top of the stairs I’m not sure how it looks now,” I said, grabbing the chair from Tré’s desk and sitting down while handing Jessica the pizza box. She looked at it suspiciously before slowly opening it.
“Right…” she said, as the topping stuck to the top of the box.
“Well, I guess we could just…eat it from the lid?” she giggled, grabbing a mushroom and feeding it to Tessie.

JESSICA’S POV

We ate some more of the so-called pizza before a familiar figure imposed himself upon the scene.
“I’m still alive…it’s a miracle. After that Flynn woman…Jesus, I thought I was gonna throw her tea in her face!” Tré groaned loudly, letting himself fall down onto the bed, covering his face with his hands. I shook my head and chuckled, looking at him.
“Was it that bad?” I asked. Billie smirked.
“Well I suppose it was okay…Mrs. Oak was actually quite nice,” he grinned, “she said she loved my hair…makes her feel young again,” he said. I chuckled.
“What about that Flynn woman then?” Billie asked. Tré groaned loudly again.
“I swear, she’s evil! Fucking perfectionist too,” he said. “Back in my days,” he added in a weird and annoying voice, making me and Billie laugh.
“You wanna trade?” he said, glaring at Billie.
“No thanks,” he chuckled, “but believe me, delivering pizzas isn’t as fucking easy as it looks,” he grumbled darkly. Tré grinned.
“I’m not the only one with a shitty job then? Good.”
“Seriously, you’d be amazed at how many people order the wrong stuff, in my opinion anyway, ‘cause they keep saying I’m not delivering the right pizzas…idiots,” Billie stated.
“Because you always do the right stuff?” I chuckled.
“I’m not saying I do, but really, I get these pizzas shoved into my arms and then I just gotta go deliver ‘em. It’s not as easy as it seems, and then they get angry if I give them a pepperoni pizza instead of a veggie one! Like…what the hell, youknow?”
“Yeah, of course, I wouldn’t have any problems eating a pepperoni pizza if I were a vegetarian, why would anybody make a fuss out of it anyway?” I said sarcastically. Tré laughed, and Billie did too, trying to glare at me but failing.
“That’s still no reason for slamming the door in my face! Stupid herbivores,” he said seriously, before cracking up at the look on our faces.