This Is The Dawning Of The Rest Of Our Lives

Chapter VI - Mohom!

I jumped up from Tré’s lap as fast as I could, my cheeks burning.
Great timing mom. Really great timing.
I glanced at Tré and noticed he looked rather uncomfortable, spotting a flush of red on his cheeks as well.
“A science project? About what? Human reproduction?” my mother snapped, looking from me to Tré.
“Mohom!!” I hissed through gritted teeth.
“You know perfectly well you’re not allowed to see any of your…friends while grounded. You could have spared yourself this,” she said coolly, looking at Tré with a superior look at the word 'friends'.
“She didn’t invite me,” Tré had gotten up and was now standing face to face with my mother.
“Frank, right?” she asked, narrowing her eyes. Tré’s eye twitched a little, but he managed to keep a straight face.
“Wright, madam,” he muttered dryly.
I bit my lip to keep myself from laughing.
“Right. Frank, I think you’ve had quite enough time with my daughter to…get an answer to your questions. Out,” she snapped. I stared at her. “Mom, you can’t just-”
“Of course I can,” she stated “he has nothing left to do now, and he shouldn’t be here in the first place.”
“Mom, I know I’m fucking grounded, but-”
“Jessica Anna Isar! Language!”
I rolled my eyes.
“It’s okay Jess, I’ll go,” Tré mumbled. I looked at him for a second, not wanting him to go but nodding nonetheless. He smiled a bit, sending butterflies through my stomach. He walked out of the room, waving at me as soon he was out of my mother’s sight, which made me smile. I resisted the urge to wave back, and shot a death glare to my mother as soon as Tré was out of sight.
“What’s your problem??” I asked, annoyed.
“What were you doing with him?”
I took a deep breath, trying to calm down, but it was useless.
“If you absolutely need to know, he was comforting me because I completely broke down yesterday night, and was about to do so again,” I burst out.
“Oh really now? Was he comforting you?”
“Mom will you cut it out?? I’m fucking sixteen, and it’s not like we were having sex or anything!” I shouted, determined to let out every drop of anger and frustration that was inside my body.
“As if you didn’t do enough already!” mom yelled.
“Do you have any idea how I’m feeling? ANY IDEA?” I cried, “Every time I hear you and dad fight I’m scared! As for Tessie, she might not know what’s happening, butt she comes to my room crying because she’s scared. SCARED, MOM, do you know what that feels like?? To be sitting here in my room playing guitar in an attempt to block out the sound of you two?”
My mother looked at me for a moment before letting out a sigh and leaving my room.
I stared at her until she was gone and slammed the door shut before letting myself fall down on the bed. I curled up to a ball, hugging my knees, and I started to cry softly.

I must have fallen asleep, for when I opened my eyes I saw Tessie standing at my bedside, lightly shaking my shoulder.
“Jessie?”
I rubbed my eyes. “Hey Tess,” I said softly, sitting up a little. “What’s up?”
“Why is mummy so cross?” she asked, looking at me with her big, brown, innocent eyes.
I sighed. “I don’t know…”
I patted on the bed, motioning Tessie to get onto it. I rubbed my eyes, yawning.
“Did you cry?” she asked, looking at my face and putting her small hand on my cheek.
I slowly nodded. “Yes. Yes, I did.”
“Did you have a fight with mummy?”
I nodded again. She looked at me sadly.
“Did Tré come to see you?” she asked after a few moments of silence.
I smiled a little and touched her nose.
“Yes he did. How do you know that?” I asked curiously.
She held up a stuffed animal that I recognized as Snuggles.