Give Me a Reason to Believe

Chapter Five

“What. The. Hell. Man.” Said Bob, slowly, monotonously, his mouth never even moving from its small o position.

They were all in the same position, with the same expressions. Embarrassed, ashamed, scandalized, and rueful all at once.

Embarrassed because, come on, they had just witnessed a very intimate scene with their best friend and a new girl. Ashamed, because they had just been caught witnessing said intimate scene. Scandalized because they had just met this new girl, and here Gerard was already hittin’ it, and rueful because they hadn’t gotten a chance first.

“We were only...” I tried, and failed miserably. There wasn’t an explanation.

Sorry, uh, I lost my paintbrush, and I was looking for it.

In his mouth.

With my tongue.

Yeah, don’t think that would fly, sorry.
“So are you guys, like... when did this, uh...” said Ray, very flustered and uncomfortable.

“Are you in loooove?” Frankie asked, with his 5 year old voice and his hands clasped together at his chest. What a child. Hah!

Gerard and I both laughed. Love! He wasn’t in love with me, and I knew it.

And I was 65% sure that I wasn’t in l– .... 40% sure that I wasn't in--.....No, I cannot allow myself to think that way!– ... but was I?

“Grow up, guys! Like you haven’t kissed girls before... oh wait, that’s right. You haven’t,” said Gerard, with a *score one for me!* kind of look.

“It doesn’t matter how you put it, Gerard! You liiike her!” said Mikey, smiling like there was no tomorrow.

“Shut up, guys. Come on, let’s go back. Mom’s probably wondering where we are, you know how she worries,” he said to them, “Bye, Lena...” he said, in a softer tone. His hand was lingering on mine, and his gaze was doing the same.

“Bye Gee. Bye guys,” I said, sorry to see them go. Well, Gerard, at least.

Not that I don’t like the other guys, but they interrupted something very important to me.

Suddenly I snapped back to reality. I had just made out with Gerard.

That didn’t just happen.

Did that just happen?

That just happened!

I tried to only think good things about it, but all I could think was, I like him, and he doesn’t
like me.

He made that abundantly clear when the guys showed up.

He was just caught up in the moment, that’s all.

Or was he?

Was he just putting on that act so the guys would stop ribbing him?

He so totally was.

Then again...

Golly, I’m in trouble.