The Prey and the Predator

Eribus

“Conan, what the hell is going!?” Alistair snapped angrily at him.
Evoni was now in Alistair’s arms. He had caught her when she fell to the ground, unconscious.
“Why did you not let me kill her when she saw me?! You have no problem when I kill other humans when they see us! What’s so different about this one!?” he was yelling at Conan, COMPLETELY PISSED OF.
“Alistair, I can explain, calm down.”
Alistair's eyes were still red, his body still emanating fear.
“It’s fine.” Alistair said. “I won’t hurt her- for some reason I cannot.” His voice was still dark.
“This child…” Conan started. “She…her name is Evoni…she is of…” he couldn’t finish.
“What is it Conan!?” Alistair said. “I’m losing my patience, and the girl in my arms seems to be very breakable.” To emphasize his point he tightened his arms around Evoni’s body, and even though she was unconscious her body shuddered under the tension of his grip.
“I wouldn’t do that if I were you, Alistair.” Said Conan. “That child that you are holding is of Eribus blood.”

Alistair couldn’t say anything.
He stood stiller than any human could, his body had literally froze. If someone saw him all they would see is a beautiful statue. And he remained like this for nearly two hours, his mind trying to understand what Conan meant- trying to comprehend the consequences of another Eribus child.
“But…we killed …” Said Alistair, finally breaking from his trance.
“I know.”
“But…that means…”
“I know.” Conan whispered.
Evoni stirred in his arms. Alistair looked down at her and saw the beautiful innocence that she held with every movement. She didn’t deserve to be of Eribus blood, Alistair thought.
“But I thought we had killed him, Conan. I thought we had rid of him once and for all.” Said Alistair, his voice was dark and bitter- the hatred and revenge burned within him,
“That’s what I thought.” Said Conan. “But we obviously hadn’t. If we had killed him properly, there should be no more Eribus children…but she’s proof that we haven’t killed him.”
“But what did we do wrong? What didn’t we do right to kill him?” Alistair asked.
“I don’t know…but we had best do it right this time.” Conan said. “Lets just be glad that we found Evoni before she could fall into the enemy’s hands…”
Alistair nodded.
“But I still don’t understand- why after all this time? Why would he choose to return now?”
“I don’t know.” Said Conan. “I don’t know…”

Evoni awoke, in perfect silence.
The sky above her was a bright light blue, she heard the sounds of birds and then she saw a bluebird fly across the sky above her.
She looked around her and saw Conan grazing on some grass not too far away. She was still inside the clearing. She tried to get up but she couldn’t move- something was restraining her.
Evoni looked up and gasped- Alistair was sitting cross-legged on the ground and had cradled her up to his chest. He was staring at something unseeing, lost in thought.
“Err…Hi.” Evoni said.
Alistair looked down at her.
“Oh.” Was all he could say and he let go of her. Evoni stood up.
“You’re not still craving blood, are you?” she asked. “Because I’d rather keep mine if that’s alright with you.”
Alistair smirked.
“Don’t worry, I’m fine now…and I’m not going to drink your blood; your not my type.”
“Oh?” she asked. “What? I’m not women enough for you?” Evoni paused and they fell in silence. “What I just was really weird.” She pointed out, making the awkward silence even more awkward.
“Yeah…” Alistair agreed.
Evoni laughed.
“Well, I didn’t really mean it like that, I was just trying to take the shit out of you…but I failed. Anyway, can I go now? I’m sorry, but you’re kind of freaking me out.”
Alistair laughed.
“No you can’t, I’m afraid.” He said. “You can in a few moments, but remember I will still be keeping an eye on you…”
“You mean stalk me.” She said.
He rolled his eyes and stood up.
“Say it how you like, I don’t really care… but I you must know that you can’t tell anybody that you met me, alright?”
“Right, if anybody asks what I did today I’ll say; ‘Well I didn’t meet Alistair and the talking horse.’ ” Evoni smiled. “That good enough for you?” she asked.
“Evoni…” he said darkly.
“Gosh, I know, I know, it was just a joke.” She said. “Anyway…can you tell me about…well, you know.”
He sighed.
“Let me guess; you want to know about vampires?” Alistair said.
“What!?” Evoni asked, astounded. “No! I wanna know why you own a talking horse…and where I can get one.” She added childishly.
♠ ♠ ♠
i want a talkin horse...