Your Average 19 year Old

Chapter 16 *it all seems to make sense now*

Chapter 16
“This is the place!” Abby said taking the car seat out of the car. A four story brick building sat in front of me. “We’re on the top floor.” Abby said opening the big red front door. We went up four flights worth of stairs until we finally got to apartment number 14A. Abby jiggled the key in the lock for a second and opened the door. It was one big room. The kitchen and family/dinning room were on the left side and there were two beds and a crib on the right side. The bathroom was to the left of the beds.
“It’s a piece of trash, but welcome home.” Abby said taking Jackson out of his car seat and putting him in a play pen near the TV.
“It’s great.” I said bringing my bag over to the beds. “We have less room than this on the bus.” I said. The phone rang at the point. Abby ran over to the phone and picked it up.
“Hello? What? Carrie, it’s just going to be a quick storm, nothing to worry about. No I’m not leaving and I need someone to watch Jackson when I go to work. Yes she is, no I’m not going to ask her to watch Jackson when she came here for a vacation. Yes, this is the friend dating Gerard Way… yes I’ll see if I can get you an autograph. Carrie, I’m not going to ask her to do that. Ok, see you in like five days when the storm passes and you decide to come out of your hiding place.” Abby hung up the phone and gritted her teeth.
“Who was that?” I asked.
“Carrie, she baby sits for me when I need to go to work. She’s leaving town because we’re suppose to get some big storm.”
“Big storm?”
“Yeah…. Katrina.”
“That storm is supposed to be pretty powerful; maybe we should get to higher grounds.” I said.
“I can’t! I need the money and what if the meteorologists are wrong and it’s just a little storm. I’ve lived here for almost two years and they always say the storms are worse when they really aren’t.” Abby said.
“Ok, ok. Tell you what? I’ll watch Jackson when you go to work.”
“No Mer, it’s ok. You don’t have to.”
“I know I don’t, I want to.” I said picking Jackson up.
A week later I was watching Jackson sleep when I suddenly had the urge to pee really badly. I made my way to the bathroom when I heard a loud beep coming from outside. I ran to the TV since Hurricane Katrina was on her way. I turned the news on to see a very frightened news reporter.
“Katrina has started her terror on New Orleans and things are expected to get worse. Everyone should get to higher grounds as soon as possible.” She was handed a piece of paper.
“Breaking news, the Super Dom is filled and cannot fit anymore people. If you are still at home you are advised to stay were you are and...” the power cut out at the point.