Your Average 19 year Old

Chapter 3

Chapter 3
The concert was in full swing, I sat backstage next to the stage manger.
“Maira We need you ” MCR’s manger Jenny said running up to me.
“What’s up?” I asked.
“Adrian’s sick.” she said. Adrian was the girl who played Helena and danced around the stage, she got to stage dive and all the fun stuff.
“Ok.” I said looking at her. “Why are you telling me this?” I asked looking at her.
“Because we need all the other dancers for the next song, and you’re the only other person who knows the dance.”
“You want me to be Helena?” I asked.
“Yes.” Jenny said pushing me into the makeup seat.
“But- but I’m terrible at dancing.” I said as they started smothering my face with white powder to make me pale.
“Don’t lie, you’re a great dancer. I’ve seen you dance and I know you took dance for five years so no..... you’re dancing.” I was stuck. They finished my makeup and handed me the Helena dress. A red and black sleeveless dress and black lace up ballet shoes. I put everything on and they pined my hair so it was all up on top of my head. The music started and Gerard started to sing, they pushed me out on stage and the other dancers carried me above them like I was in a coffin. They held me there, then gently let me down. They gathered around me and looked up to the ceiling raising the hands and praying. I loved to see Gerard perform, but I didn’t like being on stage. The chorus came up again and I was picked up and brought closer to the end of the stage, where a table was set. I waited for my cue to start to dance.
First I stood up slowly and did a spin. I walked over to Gerard and moved my hand over his head spinning closer to the crowd I dived into them and was sent back up. I danced some more and then the end came and I took the pose where I brought one leg back and had both my hands in the air Gerard stood behind me with his arms wrapped around my waist and the lights dimmed. I ran off the stage as quietly and as quickly as I could. “I’m not Okay” started to play. I changed and but my clothes back on. My face was a disaster so I stood in front of the makeup mirror backstage and was taking off the pale stuff when the guys walked in, it was intermission so this was there chance to relax for about 4.5 seconds until they had to rock out again. Instead of sitting down and guzzling soda or beer they were cleaning the room.
“Backstagers?” I asked knowingly.
“You got it.” Frank said smiling and shoving a bag of chips under the couch.
“That’s not the way normal people clean Frank.” I sat sitting on the makeup table with my back to the mirror.
“Do I look like a normal person to you Mer bear?” Frank asked holding his arms above his head.
“No comment.” I said grabbing a Spin magazine and reading an article on an up and coming band. In case you’re wondering “backstagers” are fans with backstage passes to meet the guys. I’m proud to say that this is how I met them.
~Two years earlier~
“Come on Mer I got an idea ” Abby yelled running over to the security guard who was guarding the back stage entrance. It was our first MCR concert and me and my best friend Abby White were trying to get backstage. Of course I chickened out.
“Abby, I don’t think this is a good idea. I don’t want to go to jail.” I said biting my nail.
“You won’t, and stop biting your nails ” Abby cried pushing my hand away from my mouth. “Anyway, like I said I have an idea.”
“Well that makes me feel better.” I said rolling my eyes as Abby stepped up to the guard. She had a really nervous looking face on and her eyes were starting to swell up like she was about to cry.
“Excuse me sir, but have you seen two boys, one with blond hair and one with red?” Abby asked.
“No.” the guard said. “Why?”
“Because they stole my purse and it had our backstage passes in it ” she cried. Real tears where falling down her cheeks. She never carried a purse that should give you the indication she was lying.
“Is this true?” the guard asked me.
“Yes sir, they came up while it was sitting on the ground and just took it before we had a chance to go after them.” I said trying to look him straight in the eye.
“Alright...... go on back.” he said rubbing his head. Abby and I walked in, as soon as we were at least ten feet away from the guard we screamed with excitement.
“We’re going to meet MCR ” Abby cried jumping up in down in her mini skirt. I was in a jean skirt, black leg warmers, a MCR t-shirt, heels, and my hair in a high ponytail.
“Abby, lay off on the jumping in the mini skirt.” I said as I continued to walk. We past many rooms and finally we came to a room with MCR on the door. Abby didn’t even knock, she just opened the door exposing Gerard Way with MCR, Gerard was making out with some fan girl so we just stood there like idiots.
“Welcome new explorers” Frank said jumping up and hugging us.
“Hiya” Abby said hugging him back, I just let him hug me with my arms at my side. He let go and brought us to the couch where everyone else was sitting. I managed to get on the side of the girl who was making out with Gerard.
“Gerard? GERARD Fresh meat! ” Ray yelled trying to brake the girl and Gerard up. He jumped away from the girl and looked around. His gaze fell on me.
“Hi, I’m Gerard.” he said holding his hand out to me. I shook it.
“Maira Rank.” I said quietly. I really was a shy girl back then.
“Nice to meet you Maira.” Gerard said smiling at me.
“ALL RIGHT ALL FANS OUT ” a guard yelled banging opened the door.
“WHAT? ” Abby yelled. “We just got here ”
“Sorry sweetheart.” the guard said ushering the girls out. Abby was out the door and the guard had my hand when I felt another hand latch onto me.
“No Tom, let this girl and her friend stay.” Gerard said holding onto my arm.
“Sorry Gee, your manger says everyone out.”
“I DON’T CARE WHAT MY MANGER WANTS I WANT THESE GIRLS TO STAY Got it?” he asked looking at the guard like he was about to go attack him.
“Got it.” the guard said letting go of my hand and shoving Abby back in. I couldn’t help but laugh at the look of everyone’s face from Gerard’s blow up.
“Sorry about that.” Gerard said dropping my arm. It still felt warm from his touch.
“Yeah, he usually doesn’t freak like that.” Mikey said shaking his head at his brother.
“Shut up Michael.” Gerard said pulling me to a chair.
“What are you doing?” I asked as he pushed me down.
“You’re makeup.” Gerard said putting pale stuff on my face.
“But I’m wearing makeup already.” I said trying to brush his hand away from me.
“Don’t argue with the makeup artist” he cried putting blood red lipstick on my lips.
“Fine.” I said letting him finish. Finally he finished and help me out of the chair. I looked like I just stepped out of a haunted house. “Oh my god! What did you do?” I asked fake crying. I pulled him into the makeup chair and started.
“What are you doing?” he asked as I got a wet paper towel and started to wipe his makeup off.
“Revenge is sweet honey.” I said taking liquid eyeliner and writing “Loser” across his forehead. I finished and Gerard looked like a clown, by this time everyone else was bored and ready to get going. It was late and Abby was getting cranky.
“Come on Mer!” she cried pulling me away from Gerard while we were talking about our families.
“Hold on Abby!” I cried getting my cell out. “Can- can I have your number? I mean so we can hang again sometime.”
“Definitely.” Gerard said putting his number into my phone and giving me his phone to put my number into. “Call me soon.” he said before Abby dragged me out the door.