Status: over.

Deception

the confession.

"You don't have your cell phone anymore? Oh my God." Jack sounds shocked. That's what happens when your best friend tells you crazy news via your cell phone. You drop it.

"So, what were you trying to say to me in Alex's car?"

"I was going to ask you who the guy sitting in the passenger seat was, until Alex rolled up the window and smacked my head. This was after I was trying to ask you why I couldn't call your cell phone." He takes in a deep breath. "So, who is he?"

"Riley, my other best friend." I paint my index finger luxurious lime and move on to my middle finger. "He started to get jealous of our friendship, probably because I've been spending more time with you guys and Lori than with him."

"That's why you dropped your cell phone? Because he started talking to you?" Jack questions, confused. I hear the soft chords of a guitar, random chords are being strung as we speak. "...Do you like Riley more than a friend?"

"No! Riley's just a friend. It's what Lori told me about him; she told me not to go anywhere with him, because he was going to ask me out." I twitch. "I mean, I've known him since...elementary school. We went through our awkward stages together. It's weird to have one of your best friends like you, you know?"

"Yeah, sure. I think of that whenever Alex touches me inappropriately." We both laugh. "I mean, c'mon--just image Alex as a girl...it's not hard, is it?"

"No, sadly." I hear faint shouts from downstairs. "Hey, I gotta jet. Talk to you at school?"

"Yeah, if Alex doesn't drag me away first." We exchange goodbyes, and I retreat to the living room, where dad and Liz sit comfortably on the couch. Dad pats to the space between them, smiling.

I hesitantly sit down.

> >

"I can't live without texting you!" Lori shouts as I settle down on toilet seat number two. "I mean, there are so many things we have to discuss, and I can't discuss them with you during Spanish anymore! It's not like you're going to pay attention to Mr. Pearson more than you did when you were texting me."

"Gaskarth's being a bitch."

"He won't talk to anyone."

"Gayskarth's on his period."

"Heard Fagner broke up with him."

"Thank God."


Bitches. They're so jealous over nothing. But then again, I haven't seen Alex in what feels like forever. Ever since the awkward moment where he and Jack found Riley and me together in the car, he hasn't been around. However, Jack still attempts to show up at my locker every so often.

Once I step out of the stall, I see Lori spreading clumped mascara onto her eyelashes. "You seen Alex?" I ask, washing my hands. Three girls stare at me, glowering. Although the stall apparently says I broke up with Alex, girls still hate me.

"Yeah. He blew me off in the hallway. I was pissed!" She frowns, mouth open as she smears onyx eyeliner on. "I mean, I don't even understand why he's mad at you. Why is he mad at me too?"

"One mystery at a time, Lori." I grab my backpack and ditch her, ignoring her pleas. I trudge to my locker and spot Alex waiting for me. He waves awkwardly as I approach, leaning on Sophie's locker. She swoons, her green eyes in a haze as she flips her auburn hair over her shoulder. Sophie doesn't bother asking him to move so she can get her stuff.

"Hey," he says. I continue with the combination. "I wanna talk to you." I open my locker and grab my books. He grabs my shoulder. "...Can we talk?" He frowns, his look pathetic. "Please?"

"Yeah," I reply, slamming the locker shut. He shuffles beside me, not even seeing Sophie or hearing her breathy "hi, Alex".

"Look, I'm sorry about the past couple days. I've been..." He takes in a deep breath. "I've been confused." I furrow my brow, pulling a lock of brown hair behind my ear. "Kaleb, there are some things that should be kept secret, and I don't want my private life to be...exposed here."

Outside, the sun beams at us, the wind blowing at our shoulders. November sets in, waiting for us to step into our cars and drive through the scenery of reds and yellows. Romance is not my thing. "Get in." He opens the sliding door of his piece of junk Audi. "I heard you rode the bus."

I climb in, and the two of us sit indian-style on the floor.

"Kaleb, things can't be discussed in there with people lurking, even your BFF Lori. So, in the privacy of this dumpy little van, I shall expose my secret to you." He inhales deeply, locking the car doors. "Kaleb, I, um..." He shuts his eyes. "This is really hard. I mean, it's even harder than I thought," he spits out.

"What is it, Alex?" I lean in closer.

"You're really awesome, you're fun to hang out with, you're easy to talk to..." He pushes a strand of hair out of my face. "...And I really like you." Alex winces, hand still in mid-air.

...Did he really just say that?

"You what?" I ask, leaning in closer. I want to hear those words again.

"I, Alexander William Gaskarth, like you, Kaleb Wagner. Yes, I just said those words, and no, I am not saying it again for you to post on Youtube." He unlocks the car doors. "If there are any rumors about us having sex in my car, I'm going to shoot someone." I wouldn't be surprised; these rumors are getting out of hand. The stall is adorned with hate messages from anonymous girls.

Alex turns to me. "Kales, we're still...friends, right?" He fumbles with his keys, almost dropping them onto the floor. "I mean...that doesn't change anything, right?"

What do I think of his confession? How do I feel about this?

...Do I even care?

I shift my backpack from side-to-side. "I think we'll be okay, Alex." I spin around to find the bus. My stomach churns.

"Hey, if you want, I can give you a ride," he says desperately as I start to walk away. "It's no big deal; Jack's not that important." I turn around, glancing at his pathetic expression. He motions to the car, and after a couple seconds, I climb in hesitantly.

Will we really be okay?
♠ ♠ ♠
For Mirandaaa.

I will be updating more frequently for her. :']