Status: over.

Deception

dry-erase news.

Thoroughly unimpressed by the rumors spreading around school, I go back into the bathroom stall to see if there's any fresh news. Of course, someone's in the stall, so I stand against the pink tiling, waiting for whomever to step out.

Gloria Wilkerson shoves passed me, her copper hair splashing into my face. I furrow my brow as she struts out, hot pink hooker shoes and all. In my beaten up Saucony's, I check the wall for more dry-erase news:

"Kaleb Fagner's at it again! Flirting with the lovely Gaskarth every chance she gets."

"Fagner gave him head behind the bleachers. Eye witness here."

"Kaleb needs to stop being such a slut. Besides, Gayskarth is ugly as shit."

"Kaleb Fagner, Kaleb Fagner, Kaleb Fagner...when will you learn?"

"Alex Gaskarth had sex with Beth Epstein last night. Pictures on her Myspace."

"Beth Epstein? He would never touch her."

"Beth Slutstein better watch it."


I hadn't seen Alex since the weekend. In fact, I've never seen him or Jack around school. I guess jealousy drives the girls wild.

With a tissue from my pocket, I wipe off the news and whip out my black marker. What could I write back in retaliation? This news isn't funny anymore.

"Gloria Fuckerson had a baby two years ago." This is the truth. When we were still friends, Gloria had a boyfriend who was a junior. The result was Gloria's first baby, Candy. Gloria gave her up for adoption, and now we have no idea where the baby is. Ever since that, Gloria's been a member of the "fuck five".

We're not friends anymore.

I pause.

"Polly Henderson is a virgin."

Our favorite little slut is actually clean. Never done drugs, never had sex. Doesn't own a piercing on her body; they're all magnets. We used to be friends too, until...you get my point.

Enough gossiping for now. I shove my capped Expo marker into my pocket and throw out the Kleenex, washing my hands of my dirty deed. The Beth Slutstein news is still up, so there isn't any suspicion as to what's been erased. I go back to class for ten minutes, and then run to my locker.

A note. I raise my eyebrows:

Hey, I saw the rumors in the bathroom. I erased the ones up there, but you might want to check to make sure there isn't anything new.

P.S.: I think Riley believes in this BS.

Love, your BFF


I crumple up the paper and throw it out. I grab my things and exit through the nearest doors, now in search of my ugly, bought-used Accord. Lori's waiting there, arms crossed. "You read the new stuff in there?" I nod. "Well, there's some pretty bad stuff in there."

"Like what?" I hop into the driver's seat and unlock the doors. If they make up shit about me, I'll just write the truth about them.

"Well, one said you were having sex with Gaskarth in the janitor's closet. Something about you and Mr. Kaltenbaugh--gross, I know. There was stuff about you and Jack...whoever that is. And more stuff about Gaskarth being with other girls." Lori tosses her pastel green backpack onto one of the backseats. "So, what's the game plan, sister?"

What can I write in retaliation?

"I'm going to write the truth." Out on the road, I see Gloria frowning in her new Ford Escalade. Looks like something ruined her day; the eyeliner's smeared around her eyes, and there are mascara prints on her hand. "Did you read the stuff I wrote?"

"In the black?" I nod. "Yeah. Nice job, girl." Lori glances at the van behind us. "God, that thing looks like the pedo-van." Her eyes linger on the driver. "...Guess who's driving it?"

"Lori, shut up. I'm trying to fucking drive." I turn on the radio and roll my window down. The stuffy air is killing me. The van behind us zooms past, blaring guitar solos out their open windows. Of course, the guy slams on the brakes, thanks to the red light. In seconds, the passenger's head sticks out.

"Hey, Kaleb!" Jack waves. "Wanna hang out later?"

"I can't. I've got stuff to do." White lies never hurt anyone.

He frowns. "Oh, c'mon! I guarantee you whatever we're doing'll be more fun than whatever you're doing!" Lori elbows me, and I slap her. "C'mon, Kaleb!"

"I promise it'll be something you don't suck at!" Alex yells out from behind the wheel.

Lori's smile widens, and I don't reply. "Please, Kales? I mean, it's not like we're doing anything special tonight, right?" she pleads. "Please, Kaleb? Please? Please!"

It's like babysitting all over again.

As the light turns green, Alex and Jack race me down the street, only to be caught at another light. Life is really being a pain in the ass today.

"Kaleb, what do you say?"

"Kales, please? I know you don't want to hang out with your fake-mommy today." Lori frowns. "Do this for me?"

"Don't you have a boyfriend?"

"This is a chance for you to get one." Lori points at Gaskarth. "See that fine gentleman over there? He could be yours!"

"What if I don't want him?"

She rolls down my window, and Jack sticks his head back out the hole as Lori reaches across me. "What are you doing!?" I shriek.

"She accepts your invitation."