Status: Complete

The Secret Keeper

thirteen

Did you hear that noise? You know, the sound of the world imploding on itself?

I blinked at Bo, trying hastily to comprehend what he’d just confessed. He was covering his face with his hands again.

My mind whirled. Bo, who had always found any way to make sure guys didn’t like me. Bo, who had been there since I was in diapers. Bo, who made my life a miserable hell hole for as long as I could remember.

Bo, who is in love with me.

One of these things is not like the others.

How could I not have noticed? I mean, if he was telling the truth, wouldn’t he show somesigns of not completely despising me?

And most importantly, did I feel the same way about him?

I couldn’t say it to his face but strangely, I did feel something. I usually dismiss it as my hatred for him, but… what if it wasn’t?After all, if he’s a Secret Keeper… with me… then weren’t we meant to be together?

But then what about Evan? I loved Evan, too. How is it possible that I could love two people at once?

While my mind was whirring furiously, Bo lay still in the same position. I was a little afraid for his health until I saw that he was breathing normally, his chest rising and falling in a pattern.

Finally, I got my mouth to work. “What?”

He uncovered his eyes and started at me, his oak green eyes locking on my plain ones. “Do I really have to say it again?”

I leant back a little. “When… when did this… how did you…” I couldn’t seem to put a question together. There were so many things I wanted to ask him, but at the same time all I wanted to do was throw my arms around him and kiss him like no tomorrow.

I heard him chuckle softly. “Settle on one sentence, Eve.”

I narrowed my eyes slightly. “Ok. WHAT?”

He rolled his eyes and chuckled again. Sitting up, he stared into my eyes. “I’ve been in love with you since we went into high school. But you hate me, so I never told you…”

“I don’t hate you,” I blurted without thinking. My eyes widened and I covered my mouth. Oopsie.

He cocked his head to the side like a confused puppy. “You… you don’t?”

I shook my head. “N-no, I don’t.”

Bo’s face lit up like the fourth of July. “Really? You’re serious? You don’t hate me?” He looked so hopeful I was almost breathless.

“No… Actually, I think… I think I might… feel the same way…” I managed, pausing every word or so.

I didn’t think it was possible, but he seemed to brighten up even more. “Really?”

I nodded shyly.

Suddenly, Bo reached up and put his hand around the back of my neck and gently eased me toward him. I went willingly waiting for the inevitable feeling of his lips on mine. And when it finally came, every inch of me was set on fire; that’s the only way to describe it. I grinned, wrapping my arms tightly around his neck. He licked my lip, asking for entrance, and I let him in.

It was the best kiss of my life. And it was coming from my worst enemy.

I crawled on top of him as he lay back on his bed. He moaned slightly. I smiled some more.

Unfortunately, I remembered something… kinda important.

“Oh, God,” I breathed, pulling away hastily. Bo looked up at me with a confused and hurt expression. “Evan.”

His face fell automatically. “Oh, God. I’m sorry, Eve,” he whispered.

I bit my lip. How could I possibly choose? I was going to have to, eventually. I wasn’t too psyched about it, but it also wasn’t something I could ignore. I was, regrettably, in love with two guys.

Trust me. It’s not nearly as romantic as in the books.

“I’m sorry,” he whispered again before running out of the room. I watched him go.

How could this possibly happen? The guys were supposed to fall for me, not the other way around. I never thought that love could hurt so much. I’ve never been so wrong in my life.

I thought about Evan first. We dated a while back, sure, but then he broke up with me for some reason that he wouldn’t tell me. I was heartbroken. But I guess I just couldn’t get over those icy blue eyes, that perfect blonde hair, that killer body, and that awesome personality. He was just the perfect guy.

But then there was Bo. The one who had been there, like it or not, since I was little. He was the one who was always there when I had my Nightmares, the one who would always be there to tell me that everything was going to be alright, even if it wasn’t. His were the arms that were always protecting me.

I flopped back onto the bed. Slowly, I brought my hand up and traced my lips where Bo’s andEvan’s had been today. I hated myself. How could I possibly lead both of them on? Either way one will get hurt. And knowing I was the one to cause it…It sucked.

Why me?

I heard some music playing softly from who knows where. I smiled slightly through my tears as I recognized it.

“Can you feel the love tonight?
The peace the evening brings?
The world for once, in perfect harmony,
With all its living things…”


I don’t care if it’s a kid’s movie. I love the Lion King. But even that couldn’t cheer me up completely.

-[-]-

Bo’s P.O.V.

I sighed and leant against the wall outside my door. Did Eve really mean what she said? Did she love me like I did her?

I rubbed my forehead. It didn’t matter if she felt the same way. She was dating Evan. We were Secret Keepers, and nothing more. No matter how much it hurt.

I heard music coming from somewhere. I recognized it as some song from the Lion King, Eve’s favorite movie. I smiled. We used to watch that movie constantly when she had Nightmares and couldn’t go back to sleep. And I’d always hold her a little bit tighter when this particular song played.

“Can you feel the love tonight?
You needn't look too far
Stealing through the night's uncertainties
Love is where they are…”
♠ ♠ ♠
I was sick today, so I decided to write this to make up for the cliffhanger. Someone on Quizilla got kinda mad about it. Anyway, let me know if you like the story so far.