Status: Complete

The Secret Keeper

five

“Uh…” Was all I could say. Why in the world would Bo ask me to dance? The answer was simple: to make me miserable. He’d find some way to do it, I was sure.

“No,” I said plainly, and started to walk away. I didn’t get far.

He grabbed my arm and spun me around to face him. “Why not?” he asked. He didn’t seem angry, but confused.

I scoffed. “Why do you think, Bo?”

He stared at me for a moment, his mouth open and ready to say something. I didn’t give him the chance. I wrenched my arm out of his grasp and stalked out of the room.

Deciding I needed some fresh air, I stepped out into Luke’s backyard. It wasn’t really like a yard, but more where the edge of the forest met the row of houses.

I didn’t particularly like the feeling that came along with adventuring outside at night. Ever since I was young, I’d had a natural aversion to dark, spooky places. Some would call it a sixth sense. I would call it being too scared to go anywhere near it. Ever since I’d started having Nightmares, the dark places never seemed to appeal to me.

Maybe it was because, subconsciously, I was always afraid of those creatures escaping my mind, and becoming reality. An irrational fear, it’s true, but I always got this weird feeling. Something I couldn’t explain. And, frankly, I was probably better off not knowing, anyway.

I sat down on a bench that was right outside the back door. I heard the music from the party start back up again, and I sung along to it softly.

“I don’t want a lot for Christmas,
There's just one thing I need
I don't care about the presents
Underneath the Christmas tree
I just want you for my own
More than you could ever know
Make my wish come true
All I want for Christmas is...
You…”


It didn’t really apply to my life, so much, but it was one of my favorite Christmas songs.

Now, I am Catholic, but I’m not one of those completely religion-obsessed people that’ll go around brandishing a cross at anything that doesn’t coincide with the Bible. I believe that people can believe whatever they want, and I don’t push my beliefs on anybody.

“I won't ask for much this Christmas
I don't even wish for snow
I'm just gonna keep on waiting
Underneath the mistletoe
I won't make a list and send it
To the North Pole for Saint Nick
I won't even stay awake to
Hear those magic reindeers click
'Cause I just want you here tonight
Holding on to me so tight…”


I wondered what Evan was doing. I hoped he was enjoying himself. He deserved to be with someone who would have fun with him. I sighed.

”What more can I do
Baby all I want for Christmas is you
Ooh baby
All the lights are shining
So brightly everywhere
And the sound of children's
Laughter fills the air
And everyone is singing
I hear those sleigh bells ringing
Santa won't you bring me the one I really need
Won't you please bring my baby to me...”


-[-]-

Bo’s P.O.V.

I watched Eve walk out of the room, looking angry as hell. I hated the fact that I was probably the one who’d made her that way.

Holly came up behind me then. “Where’s Eve?”

I looked at her sullenly. Realization flickered on her face, and she pulled me into a hug. She is a very hands-on type of person.

Holly and I put on the lovey-dovey act so Eve wouldn’t figure out who I reallyliked. Holly was the only person I ever told. Well, ok, she figured it out for herself and confronted me about it, but you get the point.

“Go, Bo,” she said, pulling back, “Go out there. With Eve. Tell her how you feel.”

I felt my face get hot. “I-I can’t, Holly. Eve hates me, and she’s kinda mad at me right now…”

She rolled her eyes. “When isn’t Eve mad at you?”

That was a good point. I smiled and pecked her on the cheek, and went outside to find Eve.

I found her sitting outside, on a stone bench. I could hear her singing softly to the music. She had a beautiful voice, but she never wanted anyone to know. I never understood why, but I never questioned it.

“Oh I don't want a lot for Christmas
This is all I'm asking for
I just want to see my baby
Standing right outside my door…”


Against all my better judgment, I mouthed the words along with the song.

”Oh I just want you for my own
More than you could ever know
Make my wish come true
Baby all I want for Christmas is...
You…”


Eve had no idea how true those words were.

I heard a clock toll twelve times inside the house, signaling that it was midnight. As if on cue, small snowflakes began to fall from the sky. She craned her neck up to the sky, and I saw a few of the snowflakes land on her delicate eyelashes and perfect nose.

I chuckled as she stuck her tongue out to catch snowflakes on it. “Merry Christmas, Eve,” I murmured, more to myself than anything.

“Merry Christmas.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This is a little but cutesy for me, but i hope you like it anyway. Let me know what you think!