Status: Complete

The Secret Keeper

eight

Bo’s P.O.V.

“What’s a Secret Keeper?” I asked hesitantly as I wrapped an arm around Eve. She’d started crying again, and it was almost instinct.

Mr. and Mrs. Harlow looked at each other, as if deciding whether to tell us. I’m pretty sure that after what we’d just witnessed, anything else would pale. I desperately wished I could’ve protected Eve from going through that in some way. Even if I had to go through those punishments myself.

Yeah, I was thatfar gone.

“You and Eve have a duty,” Mr. Harlow said, “There is a Secret. There are people who want to know the Secret. Your job is to make sure these people don’t know the secret.”

I sat thinking for a moment. “But what’s the Secret, then?”

Mr. and Mrs. Harlow exchanged glances again. “Well, we don’t know. Keepers aren’t allowed to know the Secret anymore, either. That’s what makes our jobs so difficult.”

“Hold up,” I said, lifting my spare hand, “I’m still really confused.”

“We know,” Mrs. Harlow put in, cutting off her husband. “Trust me, we know. But I think it’s been a long day for Eve. Why don’t we just call it a night?”

That was a really good idea, come to think of it. Eve was still sobbing, but more quietly now, as if she only had the energy to make little whimpering noises. I scooped her up into my arms and, after saying goodnight to Mr. and Mrs. Harlow, brought her back to her bedroom.

When I got there I lay her down gently since in the short mount of time she’d already managed to fall asleep. She looked so peaceful, even with the tears still streaming down her face.

Part of me knew it was a bad idea. But another, more dominant part of me took control. I slowly crawled into the bed with Eve, wrapping my arms around her. A clichéd protector.

I drifted off into the most peaceful sleep I’d ever gotten.

-[-]-

Original P.O.V.

I was in a clearing. I could see trees all around, most were covered in a thin layer of snow. They seemed to cut off in a perfect circle and I was standing right in the middle of it. The ground was icy – it looked dangerous just to be standing on it.

But Bo was with me.

He was staring into my eyes, like he was searching for something that just wasn’t there. I looked at him, confused. “What? Do I have something on my face?”

He smiled. “No, Eve, I… I… I have to tell you something.” He stared at his feet like a little boy caught doing something wrong. I smiled back and tilted his face up to look at mine. He was blushing furiously.

“What is it, Bo?” I asked softly.

“Eve…” He said my name with barely-contained emotion. It wasn’t hate, I knew that, because his eyes were boring into mine longingly. But what was it then?

Without giving me any more time to think, Bo’s lips crashed into mine. His arms locked around my waist, keeping me still.

My eyes went wide. What was he doing? Kissing me, I know, but why?

I pulled away harshly, wondering what in the world was going on. Bo’s face fell.

“Oh, God…” he breathed, no doubt realizing what had just happened, “Oh, God. I’m… Eve, I…God.”

I kept staring at him. Why had he done that? He didn’t like me like that, did he? No, that’s crazy.

Isn’t it?

Suddenly, a cold, chilling voice cut through the silence.

“Well, well. Look what we have here.”

I whipped toward the sound. Standing at the edge of the clearing was one of those horrible, terrifying, haunting Creatures.

But, then again, it wasn’t. It looked more human than Creature. His eyes were still that horrid black, and his skin was sickly pale, but it was completely intact. And when he pulled his lips back in a grimacing smile, they weren’t rotten and black, but healthy-looking, blinding white.

Why did he look so darn familiar?

No matter how I tried, I couldn’t place the face. No one I could think of looked like that, and yet, he was so familiar…

And then the Creatures started coming.

They sauntered out of the trees, at an unnatural rate, coming toward Bo and me. My heart sped up as he stood in front of me protectively.

The first Creature - the leader, I guessed – pulled something black out of his pocket. I had to squint to see what it was, but when I did, it was all I could do not to collapse from fear.

The Creature pointed the gun at Bo’s chest. He didn’t make a move, but from the way his muscled tensed under my hands I could tell he’d seen it.

“Aw, how cute. The b*stard who stole my girl is trying to protect her,” it said, in that same chilling voice.

Bo? Steal me from whom?

Bo’s lip rose into a snarl. He didn’t say anything, but moved to a more protective position. It was then that I recognized the face. I mentally slapped myself for being so stupid.

“Evan, don’t do this,” I said in a shaky voice.

He let out a loud, rumbling laugh. “I’m only claiming what’s mine, Eve. You. I just have to get rid of lover boy here first.”

I heard Bo growl faintly. I wrapped my arms around his waist, letting him know I was supporting him. “Eve,” he said huskily, “I love you.”

And then the shot rang out.

-[-]-

I sat bolt upright, in a cold sweat, gasping for breath. Oh my God. Evan shot Bo. Bo’s dead. He just –

I heard a faint snore next to me. Even though it was dark, I would’ve known that face anywhere.

“Bo…”

His eyes flew open. “Huh? Wa…?” he muttered groggily.

I let out a sigh of relief. “I-I had a-a N-N-Nightm-m-m…”

He caught on quickly and pulled me into his arms. I let the hot tears flow down my face, not caring that they were soaking his shirt.

“I th-thought you w-were dead…” I sobbed into his chest. He stroked my hair softly as he held me.

“Far from it, Eve,” he murmured, “Far from it.”